PDA

View Full Version : Am I really going to notice the difference from 4v to 5v?

ace_800
02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Looking into a new kenwood dd nav deck and the difference between the DNX7190 and the DNX9990 is about $50 and the only difference I can find is the preout volts. Am I going to see a difference? I know there is a difference from the current JVC 2.5v and when I added the line driver to bump it to 5v.

mylows10
02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
prolly not chad ,you get my text the other day

RicksI30
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
There will be no difference other than your gain setting.

trumpet
02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
There has to be more differences between those models than pre-out voltages.

maylar
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Looks like the 9990 has built in traffic. And no, there will be no difference.

ace_800
02-25-2013, 07:03 PM
There has to be more differences between those models than pre-out voltages.

Looks like the 9990 has built in traffic. And no, there will be no difference.

I thought there would be more than just traffic and the voltage, but I couldn't find any. Looks like many have had issues with the 9990 going bad on them fairly quickly. If I could find a refurbed 890hd I'd jump on it, but it did just come out. So I'll probably get the 7190hd

gckless
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Short answer, no you won't. Will depend on where your amp's gain is when you max out it's power, but I would bet money you don't notice a difference from only that. Now it's a whole different HU, so you may notice some changes, but it's not purely due to a higher pre-amp voltage.

ace_800
02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Short answer, no you won't. Will depend on where your amp's gain is when you max out it's power, but I would bet money you don't notice a difference from only that. Now it's a whole different HU, so you may notice some changes, but it's not purely due to a higher pre-amp voltage.

What do you mean its a whole different HU? Looks exactly the same just higher PO volts and traffic. Same size screen and features from what I can tell

gckless
02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
What do you mean its a whole different HU? Looks exactly the same just higher PO volts and traffic. Same size screen and features from what I can tell

Yeah, but any difference you will hear won't be due strictly to pre-amp voltage.

Just looked them up, the DNX9990HD is an Excelon unit. Think of that as Pioneer's premier line, Kenwood's upper end stuff. Internals will mostly be of higher quality. Just for example, take a look at the back panel views of the two. See how the RCA's look to be better and made of brass on the DNX9990HD? It also has an extra USB input. I didn't get into the manuals, but my guess would be the Excelon unit would have some more functionality as far as the audio.