PDA

View Full Version : Gaps between speaker and door frame when mounting... suggestions?

ckunke002
02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
The way my door frame is structured I can't mount the new component speakers to it without there being gaps between the screw mounting points. I don't know how this affects sound quality but I know it can't be a good thing...

I want a quick easy fix for sealing areas like this making them airtight. What could I layer between the speaker and the door that would do this? Maybe weather stripping or something?
Also mounting the speaker onto something else isn't an option, seeing how there isn't clearance space.

Thanks

ckunke002
02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Actually i looked again and if the mounting baffle was short enough it would work... I just need some information..What is one of the best ways to go about this that doesn't take a lot of experience/knowledge? I don't know how to make a baffle exactly.

maylar
02-24-2013, 09:41 AM
We kinda need pics to advise you accurately, but I've seen peeps use weatherstripping to seal speakers to the door. If you want to make a mounting ring typically I use 1/4" plexiglass (need a jigsaw and a drill).

hispls
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
A lot of DIY guys use modeling clay (the kind that's oil based and won't dry out). I can vouch for it.

ckunke002
02-24-2013, 10:07 AM
A lot of DIY guys use modeling clay (the kind that's oil based and won't dry out). I can vouch for it.

After doing a bit of research i think I will use some clay and MDF rings... but I don't have a jigsaw or any of that or know how to make the rings. Any advice? Lol

hispls
02-24-2013, 01:36 PM
After doing a bit of research i think I will use some clay and MDF rings... but I don't have a jigsaw or any of that or know how to make the rings. Any advice? Lol

Go to a pawn shop, buy used jigsaw for 20$

zako
02-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Would speaker gasketing tape help here?

Gasketing Tape / Caulk in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 318 (http://www.parts-express.com/cat/gasketing-tape-caulk/318)