PDA

View Full Version : adding a 4th sub, do chamber specs need to match other 3 to sound good?

RSDXzec
02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Considering adding a 4th subwoofer of the same kind as my other 3. I have 3 in the boot each in an approx 1.8cf chamber tuned to 32hz so I have no remaining boot space. My idea is to make sort of an arm rest for the back seats which will actually be a sub box. My question is when adding the 4th sub if the box size/tuning needs to be the same as the others to sound good with the others (same freq response) or if i can take advantage of having more space available there and make a larger box to sound better (more efficiency/hits lower than other 3). The 4th sub will be on its own amplifer, the other 3 are on a single amp as well.

Cheers.

Jroo
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
not quite sure what you are asking? Are you basically trying to add another sub on the inside of the car and keep the 3 in the trunk? I would focus on making the 3 in the trunk sound best before adding another sub with its own amp and such. What are you trying to gain by adding the 4th sub?

RSDXzec
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
not quite sure what you are asking? Are you basically trying to add another sub on the inside of the car and keep the 3 in the trunk? I would focus on making the 3 in the trunk sound best before adding another sub with its own amp and such. What are you trying to gain by adding the 4th sub?

the 3 in the trunk are already as good as they're gonna get, got no boot space left and I designed the custom box for them.
and an extra sub would add more bass, figured that bit was self explanatory :p

I'd like to know if all 4 subs need the same chamber size/tuning to sound good together.

Jroo
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I think what you are trying to do will cause you more issues. You start getting into phase and delay issues by having a single woofer in car. They only time I have seen anything close to this is when someone has the subs playing different frequency. One example is and set of 8's under in cabin, on rear deck, or under the seat playing 100 to 50 and the subs in trunk playing 50 down. I sounds like you are just trying to stick another sub somewhere playing all the same as what is in the trunk.

hispls
03-01-2013, 10:51 AM
More than likely this will give you little or no gain for a big investment.

If your goal is more output there has to be a better way to get there for less money.

Better-Action
03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
what kind of subs do you have and what size? and what amp is powering them. and what car are they in?

Lowflyin
03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
No,no,no. You need each sub to be giving the amp the same impedance so they all receive the same power. The must all also be in the same sized box tuned to the same frequency. and don't mix and match amps for the same speakers.........

Vincer77
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
This brings up an interesting question. Does it make sense to have several subs in different boxes tuned to different frequencies to get a fuller sound spectrum? From the comment above, if you do this, they would need to be run on separate amps.

Buck
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
It doesn't work like that. If I was to have 4 subs I would want them all in the same box tuned to the same frequency with preferably one large port.

Chriszle
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
It may be louder on certain frequencies, but will also cause a lot of cancellation at others. Will more than likely sound horrible.

RSDXzec
03-03-2013, 04:16 AM
No,no,no. You need each sub to be giving the amp the same impedance so they all receive the same power. The must all also be in the same sized box tuned to the same frequency. and don't mix and match amps for the same speakers.........

The idea was to run it on a separate amp so differing impedance wouldn't be an issue, my concern was causing cancellation at certain frequencies if the subs responded differently as one would be in a different box to the others

This brings up an interesting question. Does it make sense to have several subs in different boxes tuned to different frequencies to get a fuller sound spectrum? From the comment above, if you do this, they would need to be run on separate amps.

No, they will be covering the same frequencies and were going to be run on a different amp if the box was going to be another size, but at this point I believe I'm just going to go with the same size box/tuning freq to make sure all the subs respond the same. Then later on if I want I can run them all on the same amp.

what kind of subs do you have and what size? and what amp is powering them. and what car are they in?

old *** hatchback, 3 12" subs rated at 350WRMS, amp rated at 1500WRMS so it's capable of taking on 4 of them.
I'm not going over that power because the cars electrical is being stretched to it's limits, recently had the alternator rebuilt/upgraded and I'm buying an AGM battery soon.

It may be louder on certain frequencies, but will also cause a lot of cancellation at others. Will more than likely sound horrible.

is that with the 4th sub in a different size chamber? or all the same?

Cheers.

Better-Action
03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
What are the brands and models of the amp and subs?

RSDXzec
03-05-2013, 04:39 AM
What are the brands and models of the amp and subs?

does it make a difference? I'm just asking in general.

on another note does the box have to be exactly the same shape? or just size and tuning are enough?
as i understand it a different shape would only alter the phase a bit.

RicksI30
03-05-2013, 04:46 AM

To be blunt, do not do it because it is a waste of time and you will not benefit from it.

Better-Action
03-05-2013, 04:59 AM

on another note does the box have to be exactly the same shape? or just size and tuning are enough?
as i understand it a different shape would only alter the phase a bit.

Yea it does kinda make a difference. If its poor quality equipment you could get much louder with fewer drivers. You could save space and be louder.... in general. But its your setup so yea, whatever you want.

If the tuning and airspace is the same it should be OK. The only thing I can think of would be that because of the different enclosure you may get different box rise on that one. Which I don't know if it would be significant enough to matter, but I'm thinking probably not.

Edit - I forgot it would be on a different amp. If your set on having 4 my recommendation would be to rebuild an enclosure for all 4, and get a amp that can power all 4. Seperate boxes and different amps and different boxes is not the way it should be done. 1 box, 1 amp and it should work out OK.

momax_powers
03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
sell the subs and box and get a pair of 15s

Fishpoke
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Due to phase cancellations you will see no benefit, but a reduction in output.

RSDXzec
03-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Yea it does kinda make a difference. If its poor quality equipment you could get much louder with fewer drivers. You could save space and be louder.... in general. But its your setup so yea, whatever you want.

If the tuning and airspace is the same it should be OK. The only thing I can think of would be that because of the different enclosure you may get different box rise on that one. Which I don't know if it would be significant enough to matter, but I'm thinking probably not.

Edit - I forgot it would be on a different amp. If your set on having 4 my recommendation would be to rebuild an enclosure for all 4, and get a amp that can power all 4. Seperate boxes and different amps and different boxes is not the way it should be done. 1 box, 1 amp and it should work out OK.

yeah it's pretty cheap equipment, subs were second hand bought separately so I'm iffy about having them together in the same chamber, also I don't have enough room to fit all 4 in the same enclosure... 3 was already a stretch, only got 1.7cf for each sub after displacements and ports as small as I could get them to be able to handle 350w without port noise according to winisd.

and I'm hoping to be able to put this sub on the same amp if i need to, the amp can handle it but I'd prefer to have it on another atm otherwise i need to buy thicker wires. Hopefully a different shape box with the same volume and tuning doesn't alter the box rise enough to matter.

Due to phase cancellations you will see no benefit, but a reduction in output.

you really think it's definitely gonna be between 90 and 270 degrees out of phase?
What recommendation would you give to maintain the phase within 90 degrees of the other 3 subs... preferably in phase if possible.

Better-Action
03-06-2013, 04:33 AM
1.7 for each 12? Honestly you will probably be louder running only 2 in a proper sized box then 3 being choked. Then add in a 4th on a different amp and enclosure, possible phase issues and receiving a different amount of power. Seems like a big inefficient mess. Keep it simple man. People can hit 150 decibels with a single subwoofer. No need for a mess of a setup that in the end could be outdone for a 10th the effort.

Efficiency is key.

RSDXzec
03-06-2013, 05:25 AM
1.7 for each 12? Honestly you will probably be louder running only 2 in a proper sized box then 3 being choked. Then add in a 4th on a different amp and enclosure, possible phase issues and receiving a different amount of power. Seems like a big inefficient mess. Keep it simple man. People can hit 150 decibels with a single subwoofer. No need for a mess of a setup that in the end could be outdone for a 10th the effort.

Efficiency is key.

Just double checked and it's 1.85cf each sorry, I used winisd to simulate the response and 3 of them is only 1db louder across about 28-36hz, after 40hz that 3 subs rises to about 4db louder when all subs are at rms power. Most prefab boxes for 12's I think are around 1.5cf so these aren't doing too bad, I designed this box for my car so I could make use of all the boot space I have. Also i'd like to know what you think of having 2 separately bought second hand subwoofers in the same chamber? Is it ok or would they react differently because they've been used in different boxes previously?

Cheers.

Better-Action
03-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Are they the same model and brand subwoofer?

RSDXzec
03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Are they the same model and brand subwoofer?

yeah lol, i'd never mix different subs, they're all soundstream PCW-12"s

if you want to get technical 2 of them are soundstream EG-12X subwoofers but they have all the exact same mechanical values as the PCW-12 so they're just rebranded. I had a thorough look at all the specsheets before buying them to make sure they were the same subwoofer.

Jroo
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I am willing to bet that if you put 2 subs in the optimal/correct enclosure, it will sound better than the 3 you have now. I have personally seen guys go down to a single sub with a great box and sound better and hit harder than a previous bad set up with multiple subs. I would personally go out to one of the several great box designers and get you a nice set of plans for the 2 and then decide.

Better-Action
03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
You could put them all in the same box even though 2 of em are second hand.

How much port area do you have and what's your tuning?

RSDXzec
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
You could put them all in the same box even though 2 of em are second hand.

How much port area do you have and what's your tuning?

nice, actually all of them are second hand, but i assume your statement still stands. I bought the pcw first, then the 2 ex's second.

tuning is at 31.7hz after displacements (I aimed for 32) and my port area is sad lol, it's the bare minimum.
I have the specs written in winisd and from that I have 3 ports 1.57"x11.25" so 53"^2 all up lol

I am willing to bet that if you put 2 subs in the optimal/correct enclosure, it will sound better than the 3 you have now. I have personally seen guys go down to a single sub with a great box and sound better and hit harder than a previous bad set up with multiple subs. I would personally go out to one of the several great box designers and get you a nice set of plans for the 2 and then decide.

I had a lot of time to research and design this box on winisd and spent a fair bit on the box, not gonna bother with a whole other design for 1db... I'd have to see a real improvement and somehow with less sub surface area and cheap gear like mine i doubt it.

Better-Action
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Your port is to small man. And with what those subs are I think your losing out by tuning that low with them.

What kind of car is this in? You may be able to fit all 4 if you don't mind building it in the trunk "I'm assuming you have a trunk" and firing up.

On the other hand. You are running 3 now, and the way your going about it I think you can probably be louder with 2 of them. For that I'm thinking 2 cubes each. 4 cubes net, tuned to 34-37hz with 16 inches of port per cubic foot.

RSDXzec
03-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Your port is to small man. And with what those subs are I think your losing out by tuning that low with them.

What kind of car is this in? You may be able to fit all 4 if you don't mind building it in the trunk "I'm assuming you have a trunk" and firing up.

On the other hand. You are running 3 now, and the way your going about it I think you can probably be louder with 2 of them. For that I'm thinking 2 cubes each. 4 cubes net, tuned to 34-37hz with 16 inches of port per cubic foot.

Last box I had was tuned to 25hz when I only had one :p, now it's 32 because I need my subs to be able to reach the 20's. I drive a hatchback, and as it is the boot is completely full. Here are some pics so you can get an idea. And will increased port area really change the loudness? winisd doesn't seem to change the output with varying port area

http://i45.tinypic.com/2e0if79.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/69f4p3.jpg

Better-Action
03-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Yes more port will get you louder. And looking at the pics I think even those low power subs are being completely choked by the port they have.

One thing to think about. After seeing how you got it in the boot, rebuilding a box for 3 of them, shared chamber, much more port and I think you will get a pretty substantial increase in output. About the low tuning, some subs just aren't built to play down into the 20's very well. If you tuned to 35ish you'd still be able to play down to 30ish which is pretty low. And the higher tuning and the bigger port of the new box you WILL be substantially louder.

RSDXzec
03-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Yes more port will get you louder. And looking at the pics I think even those low power subs are being completely choked by the port they have.

One thing to think about. After seeing how you got it in the boot, rebuilding a box for 3 of them, shared chamber, much more port and I think you will get a pretty substantial increase in output. About the low tuning, some subs just aren't built to play down into the 20's very well. If you tuned to 35ish you'd still be able to play down to 30ish which is pretty low. And the higher tuning and the bigger port of the new box you WILL be substantially louder.

I just need my subs to play down to 26hz comfortably, I like to get low lol. How would rebuilding this box get me much more volume? I'd be taking out the chamber walls but at the same time I'd have to add in extra bracing which I didn't have to worry about with this design so I'd probably get the same volume... and it would actually be less if I'm using larger ports. What kind of db is a substantial increase to you? near 10db? 3db?... it's gonna be probably near $100 for me to build a new box so I'd have to justify it as a decent increase.

Better-Action
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I can't really say how much it would increase. You would have to do some bracing but not much for 3 low power subwoofers. What are the current dimension on your box? Could you go any wider, taller, or deeper? Having a shared chamber will add some volume, so will having the port on the rear of the box because the port will have more common walls.

sbarber82
03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
is your port even a port or just a slot on top of the box? It looks like by the pics its just a slot with no port walls going in to the box

RSDXzec
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
I can't really say how much it would increase. You would have to do some bracing but not much for 3 low power subwoofers. What are the current dimension on your box? Could you go any wider, taller, or deeper? Having a shared chamber will add some volume, so will having the port on the rear of the box because the port will have more common walls.

Any higher would block my rear view, wider wouldn't fit in the car, and deeper would make my back seats fall down... they already can't lock into place because of the size of the box. The external dimensions judging from the model I made of it are 22.7"high, 36"wide, 23.62" deep. The port does go along the rear wall already... I'm not sure how people here are visualising my port, the next pic I uploaded should help a bit more.

is your port even a port or just a slot on top of the box? It looks like by the pics its just a slot with no port walls going in to the box

hahahahahah is that a serious question? lol ofcourse it's a port

this might help you out

http://i49.tinypic.com/120hs38.jpg

Better-Action
03-09-2013, 12:40 AM
How deep is the top and how deep is the bottom? If you build the box inside the care could you go a little wider?

cfox10
03-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Port area is WAY too small. You will get substantially louder with a larger port and shared chamber. Can you go any taller? To the roof?

I'd suggest trying to sell this box on craigslist to recoup and build a better one. Talk to someone like doubl07 to get a cut sheet or something with a larger port.

RSDXzec
03-10-2013, 03:16 AM
How deep is the top and how deep is the bottom? If you build the box inside the care could you go a little wider?

I'm not sure what you mean by deep at the top and bottom... and no I couldn't go any wider, it would hit the wheel wells, when I designed this box I made sure it was as big as I could make it because I didnt plan on making a new box until I buy a new car.

Port area is WAY too small. You will get substantially louder with a larger port and shared chamber. Can you go any taller? To the roof?

I'd suggest trying to sell this box on craigslist to recoup and build a better one. Talk to someone like doubl07 to get a cut sheet or something with a larger port.

If I went taller to the roof I wouldn't have a rear view... which is illegal for me. Dunno if we have craigslist here in oz but even on ebay or something like that nobody would want this box, considering it's made for a 30 year old car and I'm in a small city so less people to come pick it up, and I get my sheets at my local store.

Better-Action
03-10-2013, 06:57 AM
How deep is the bottom and the top of the box. You got your width and the height. But the top and bottom depth are different because of the angle. I'm just trying to get what your dimensions are so I can see if I can suggest a route to go with the space you got.

After seeing the pics where was the 4th sub gonna go? I think optimizing your space to get some more port for the 3 is your best bet. You've already given up crucial port area to fit the 3. Adding the 4th you'll have to sacrifice port AND internal volume. Its not worth it.

RSDXzec
03-11-2013, 01:44 AM
How deep is the bottom and the top of the box. You got your width and the height. But the top and bottom depth are different because of the angle. I'm just trying to get what your dimensions are so I can see if I can suggest a route to go with the space you got.

After seeing the pics where was the 4th sub gonna go? I think optimizing your space to get some more port for the 3 is your best bet. You've already given up crucial port area to fit the 3. Adding the 4th you'll have to sacrifice port AND internal volume. Its not worth it.

I was planning to make the fourth sub go between the back seats, so it wouldn't be in the boot.
23.62" is the long depth, I'm not sure about the short depth, I'll have to check that when I get home in a few hours but i think it's around 18".

RSDXzec
03-11-2013, 06:16 AM
actually the top depth was 10" lol, dunno where i got 18" from.

Better-Action
03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
After checking your dimensions it really doesn't get better. The port are is so small honestly I think you will probably be louder with 2 in a killer box. For running 3 its about as good as it gets. With the space though and if your amp actually does rated then you have allot of options. With your power and space you could run a very nice 15" or two nice twelves and both would surely be louder if done right. If you could sell the 4 12s you would have a good head start on a good 15. I dunno how easy it would be to do that though being were you live.

Sorry I couldn't help ya further but space is your bottleneck and you've hit it. So the way to get louder at this point is efficiency with the power you got.

RSDXzec
03-12-2013, 05:21 AM
After checking your dimensions it really doesn't get better. The port are is so small honestly I think you will probably be louder with 2 in a killer box. For running 3 its about as good as it gets. With the space though and if your amp actually does rated then you have allot of options. With your power and space you could run a very nice 15" or two nice twelves and both would surely be louder if done right. If you could sell the 4 12s you would have a good head start on a good 15. I dunno how easy it would be to do that though being were you live.

Sorry I couldn't help ya further but space is your bottleneck and you've hit it. So the way to get louder at this point is efficiency with the power you got.

thanks a lot for the help so far. For reference what port area would you recommend (per cube/per sub surface area)? Looking at most other boxes on youtube my port area doesn't seem ridiculously small... and it's definitely larger than prefab boxes. atm I only have 3 subs and I'm considering buying a 4th if I can find one second hand on ebay because they're really good for the money.
I'd like to know what would be a good amount of port area to see what I can do even though at this point it looks like not much.

Better-Action
03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
I can't remember what yours came out to cuz I don't have.my computer right now but it was under 10" of port per cube. For reference I run a single 15 the port is 15" tall by 5" wide and about 50 inches long. Yours is like what? 10.5" tall by 1.5" wide and about 18 inches long per port?

For reference here is what mine will do with a little more power than yours, lots of port and a single 15.

Ext cab Sonoma American bass xfl flex - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxNDvGgNxw)

RSDXzec
03-13-2013, 06:36 AM
I can't remember what yours came out to cuz I don't have.my computer right now but it was under 10" of port per cube. For reference I run a single 15 the port is 15" tall by 5" wide and about 50 inches long. Yours is like what? 10.5" tall by 1.5" wide and about 18 inches long per port?

For reference here is what mine will do with a little more power than yours, lots of port and a single 15.

Ext cab Sonoma American bass xfl flex - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxNDvGgNxw)

that looks pretty good for 2kw, tbh Im only running my system at 400wrms atm because I'll be upgrading to a new battery soon to use the full 1k so I don't have much of a point of comparison. But I'd like to ask if you think I'd be able to fit a single 18 using the 6 cubes total I have, I'm all for surface area so I'd like to keep the size large and that's just a little less surface area than my 3 12"s. The only problem for me is choosing a good sub, here in aus i'm limited to JL Audio, Soundstream, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, Boston, Polk, Fusion, Sony etc... nothing compared to what you have access to in the US, my only chance is Ebay but postage is a fair bit. So are there any nice subs I could get over ebay without it costing an arm and a leg? Looking to handle up to 1500wrms at 1 ohm.

Better-Action
03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't know much about 18's as far as which ones like small boxes. But with your space I'd say the most viable option is 2 12's or the single 15. My box is 4.5cf and over 2cf of port. So my box total is like 6.5-6.9cf can't remember exactly how much volume my port has but its in that area.

Cone area does play a big role, but with a good sub you can do allot wit not as much cone area. I've had 2 15 kicker cvrs on 1400 rms and the single 15 xfl is louder. On both volume and it destroys the lows when compared. If you sstill want as much cone area I'd say go with the 2 12's. For a simpler and slightly cheaper route I'd say go the 15". The 2 12's will most likely be slightly louder but the single 15 will probably be cheaper and simpler to build for.

RSDXzec
03-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't know much about 18's as far as which ones like small boxes. But with your space I'd say the most viable option is 2 12's or the single 15. My box is 4.5cf and over 2cf of port. So my box total is like 6.5-6.9cf can't remember exactly how much volume my port has but its in that area.

Cone area does play a big role, but with a good sub you can do allot wit not as much cone area. I've had 2 15 kicker cvrs on 1400 rms and the single 15 xfl is louder. On both volume and it destroys the lows when compared. If you sstill want as much cone area I'd say go with the 2 12's. For a simpler and slightly cheaper route I'd say go the 15". The 2 12's will most likely be slightly louder but the single 15 will probably be cheaper and simpler to build for.

would you recommend that xfl 15 as a good 15 for 1kw? I saw your video but with such a small cabin I imagine it's much easier to get loud.
or what 12"s would be good in my situation? would i be able to use 2 of the 12"s I have now or should i get something better? I haven't had much experience with subs and I keep using winisd to compare specs, and with that comparison the single xfl 15 is around the same as my 3 12"s. I can get the XFL 15 on ebay from the US for $290 + $60 postage, the only other brand i can see on ebay is re audio and sundown audio, skar, not sure if there are others.

Better-Action
03-13-2013, 11:48 PM
would you recommend that xfl 15 as a good 15 for 1kw? I saw your video but with such a small cabin I imagine it's much easier to get loud.
or what 12"s would be good in my situation? would i be able to use 2 of the 12"s I have now or should i get something better? I haven't had much experience with subs and I keep using winisd to compare specs, and with that comparison the single xfl 15 is around the same as my 3 12"s. I can get the XFL 15 on ebay from the US for $290 + $60 postage, the only other brand i can see on ebay is re audio and sundown audio, skar, not sure if there are others.

I checked out eBay Australia and **** shits expensive over there. To get an xfl 15 in the states will cost ya 220 but 350 in Australia.

On my youtube channel I also have a video of a single 15 xfl I did in a Bonneville trunk. The truck is louder but not by much. So I'm sure it would be pretty nasty in your hatchback.

The xfl is rated at 1000 wrms so your amp would be totally fine for it. They can take 2k easily but 1k will still do you well. How much would it set ya back for 2 sundown sa-12's? For your power and plenty of space for 2 12's the sa's should get ya louder than the 1 15 xfl.

RSDXzec
03-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I checked out eBay Australia and **** shits expensive over there. To get an xfl 15 in the states will cost ya 220 but 350 in Australia.

On my youtube channel I also have a video of a single 15 xfl I did in a Bonneville trunk. The truck is louder but not by much. So I'm sure it would be pretty nasty in your hatchback.

The xfl is rated at 1000 wrms so your amp would be totally fine for it. They can take 2k easily but 1k will still do you well. How much would it set ya back for 2 sundown sa-12's? For your power and plenty of space for 2 12's the sa's should get ya louder than the 1 15 xfl.

2 sa-12's including postage is between $750 to $1000, the australian dollar is also currently worth more than the american which confuses me a bit. And yeah audio stuff costs a lot over here so it's a pain in the *** to have a nice system, I'm also currently a student which doesn't help either. My options are really limited here so it's hard to find good cheap gear, it's why i bought all my subs second hand.

Better-Action
03-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Honestly with the price of stuff over there I'd try to make the best with what ya got. Which I think would either be the way it is or trying 2 of them in a killer box.

Are there any Australian brands that would be cheaper because they are made there?

RSDXzec
03-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Honestly with the price of stuff over there I'd try to make the best with what ya got. Which I think would either be the way it is or trying 2 of them in a killer box.

Are there any Australian brands that would be cheaper because they are made there?

nope, all the decent brands are from the US, the only brand made nearby that I'm aware of is Fusion... it's made in New Zealand, but they're ******* horrible.

how about when I make the box for my next sub if i end up getting a fourth I make it the same internal volume and tuning but give it a much larger port area? Would that change the box rise though and make it unable to use together with the others on the same amp?

Better-Action
03-14-2013, 01:56 AM
You want all the subs playing in the most identical conditions you can. Having it in a different location will most likely bring cancellation. Phase issue. Different sized ports or boxes and it just gonna be a nightmare. It may be louder in a few certain frequencies but a mess on most others. Its just not the way to do it, and for good reason.

How attached are you to that back seat? You could do all four firing up and port back with the 4 and it should be pretty nasty. But gotta give up space.

RSDXzec
03-14-2013, 02:04 AM
You want all the subs playing in the most identical conditions you can. Having it in a different location will most likely bring cancellation. Phase issue. Different sized ports or boxes and it just gonna be a nightmare. It may be louder in a few certain frequencies but a mess on most others. Its just not the way to do it, and for good reason.

How attached are you to that back seat? You could do all four firing up and port back with the 4 and it should be pretty nasty. But gotta give up space.

alright then I'll just stick to 3... and you have no idea how much I'd like to get rid of the back seats, but unfortunately I'm not the only one who drives the car so I've done enough damage stealing all the boot space already lol

RSDXzec
03-14-2013, 04:23 AM

also I think I should add here, I just modelled the air speed i'd get if I put 3 alpine type r's in my box and it peaks at 70m/s lol, while mine peak at 23m/s which is under the tuning frequency so it'll never get that high anyway, so I think how much port area a sub needs is sub dependant, so it's different for each setup.
I think it has a lot to do with these subs being designed for use in a sealed box... but they sound much better ported.

Better-Action
03-14-2013, 06:07 AM
If you really wanted you could run the 4 sealed and give them the whole 1500. I don't know the specs of those subs but if they are better suited for sealed you may like the results of all 4 sealed with the added power.

RSDXzec
03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
If you really wanted you could run the 4 sealed and give them the whole 1500. I don't know the specs of those subs but if they are better suited for sealed you may like the results of all 4 sealed with the added power.

when i originally had 1 of these in a sealed box, before i went ported I was convinced it was the best the sub would sound, but then I built a 2.25cf box tuned to 25hz due to the recommendations on this forum and it blew me away how much better it sounded. So I have heard these sealed vs ported before. I guess I could try blocking the ports and testing out what they sound like sealed in this configuration, but as it is right now I'm either going to stay with what I've got and run it at 1200wrms or keep searching the net to see where I can get one of those XFL 15"s because everything I read about them says they're phenominal.