PDA

View Full Version : How should I cover my door pods?

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 06:02 PM
What do you guys think? Pics are of the bare panels. What should I cover the lower corner of the door with to hide the seam between the pods and the doorpanel? Please vote...
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568418_14_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568418_15_full.jpg

ss3079
04-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Where's the poll ? :p

Looks great, by the way. :)

- Steve

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 06:05 PM
fiberglassing over the seam, sanding and painting, making it look like 1 continuous piece of painted plastic, could be a lot of extra work but it looks very clean

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 06:05 PM
I was in the process of creating it when you posted...try it now.

ss3079
04-18-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm with the guy above.

Vinyl would look awesome as long as it didn't look out of place, if you know what I mean.

- Steve

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 06:07 PM
fiberglassing over the seam, sanding and painting, making it look like 1 continuous piece of painted plastic, could be a lot of extra work but it looks very clean
I thought about that. I will have to smooth the seam anyway, but getting the texture of the pod to match the existing texture of the plastic panel will be nigh impossible. I want the whole thing to look like it came that way from the factory.

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 06:11 PM
you could go for the "smooth as a baby's bottom" approach for the whole thing, but if you want the factory look, then probably vinyl

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 06:17 PM
If I were to smooth the whole door, what color do you think would look good? Would Duplicolor bedliner look good? It would add some durability and some texture (hiding any small imperfections :D) and I think they make it in the color of the interior of my car. I am worried that if I smooth the whole door panel, I would have to do the same for the rear doors to get it to look right and that is just a lot of work. The only way I could justify doing something like that would be if i were to integrate the EQTs into the rear door panels. A ton of work but might be really cool.

ss3079
04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
The only way I could justify doing something like that would be if i were to integrate the EQTs into the rear door panels. A ton of work but might be really cool.

That would be worth it, in my opinion. How cool would that be ...

- Steve

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 06:21 PM
ya, you're right, having front doors different than the rears would just be weird, but that EQT thing is an idea... and about the bed liner, durability is good, hiding imperfections is good, and if it matches the color of your interior it'd probably work well

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I've heard of people covering their kickpanels and lower halves of two piece door panels where they have done some serious custom work with the bedliner with good results, so I thing that is the route I may go, but still looking for some other opinions. I will definitely keep the idea of the door EQs kicking around in my head. It's not like anyone sits back there anyway :D

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 07:04 PM
not to steal your thread or anything but does that bedliner stuff come in dark/navy blue?

ss3079
04-18-2004, 07:07 PM
not to steal your thread or anything but does that bedliner stuff come in dark/navy blue?

Most bedliner companies have a set number of colors, but will match color's to get it to match your interior, exterior, existing bed color, or even an aftermarket paint color.

The stuff in the cans you buy on the shelf at hardware / automotive stores should most definitely come in a navy / dark blue color ... and if it doesn't, I've seen seperate kits where you can "mix your own color".

- Steve

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 07:12 PM
alright, thanks steve, ya i was talking about the spray can stuff

nweibley
04-18-2004, 08:11 PM
How about going baller style and convering it with some LV leather ;)

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 08:16 PM
That would look out of place as hell in my car. I'm not going for flash, or glitz or bling. I want something that fits in with the interior.

nweibley
04-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. I say you blend it in the with door panel or goto an automotive part store or your local parts dept and get some replacement material for the door to conver it with, that way it will look stock.

helotaxi
04-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I wish it were that easy. If it was I wouldn't be asking. The door panel is not covered with anything. It is textured plastic. I could just cover the whole door, but then I would have to cut out the insert sections and glue them back in place once I am done. PITA.

nweibley
04-18-2004, 08:45 PM
If it is textured plastic, can you not take a mold of the texture and make some sort of rubberized plastic replica of it to stretch over your pods? Ehhh... I guess that wouldn't be too easy either.

That cloth like covering on your plastic molded pocket looks like it would be marginally easy to find a good matching fabric to cover the pods with, and that might not look so bad ;)

Also, what about mussing around with artist style texturing, like painting and then blotting the wet paint with crinkled aluminum foil/saran wrap etc? That might also yield a result you are looking for.

helotaxi
04-19-2004, 12:34 AM
The fabric on the molded in pocket is automotive carpet. That is the main reason I included that as one of the choices.

I might be able to make kind of like an embossing stamp of the texture and then press it into the bondo as it starts to set up, but I am not confident that it would look very good.

nweibley
04-19-2004, 12:57 AM
if you mixed the bondo so that it took a long time to set, and made a mold of the plastic on your door from something, and then pressed that against some semi-cured bondo, and used a hobby knife to connect lines, I could see it working, but it would be extremly tedious. Then again, it would look totally stock and one of a kind. ;)

helotaxi
04-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Got to thinking (dangerous, I know), My car has a carbon fiber look leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter boot from the factory. If I could find a source for that leather, it should ift right in with the interior of the car. I can find vinyl with the same pattern but only in black, not charcoal. Not sure it would look right if the color is off. What do you guys think?

ss3079
04-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Got to thinking (dangerous, I know), My car has a carbon fiber look leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter boot from the factory. If I could find a source for that leather, it should ift right in with the interior of the car. I can find vinyl with the same pattern but only in black, not charcoal. Not sure it would look right if the color is off. What do you guys think?

I think it's a good idea.

However, I'd definitely see to matching the color.

- Steve

helotaxi
04-20-2004, 05:48 PM
I've found vinyl with a carbon fiber look to it but leather is eluding me. Any ideas?

The other problem is that the carbon looking vinyl is black, not the charcoal that I want. This is really starting to annoy me.

Mark_ab
04-20-2004, 05:59 PM
How about getting some of the stock tweed that's on the armpad there? Might look good.