PDA

View Full Version : CDT CL-61 vs. JL XR650-CXi

klein
04-18-2004, 05:45 PM
I am in the market for 6.5 coaxials/components and am wondering which one of the two to purchase. The CL-61's(90W RMS) have component tweeters while the XR650-CXi(70W RMS) are a coaxial set. Also, the speakers will be used for rear staging. In regards to SQ and SPL, which will be better for at lower frequencies. I am a bass fanatic and I want to push as much as I can out of the speakers. What are the pro's and con's of the two. I'm having a hard time finding someone at the forums who has experience with the JL's. Thanks in advance for the help.

tobz
04-18-2004, 05:54 PM
The bass will depend highly on the install. I have no experience with JL's, but I do know that my CDT CL-61's are installed in my front doors, and put out nowhere near the bass that my 6x9's do in my rear deck. I know it doesn't help much, but basically I'm not impressed with the CL-61's bass. I am looking into sound deadening my doors and trying to tweak the install a little, to achieve a tad more midbass from them, but so far it's nothing to brag about.

T.J.

VTEC11
04-19-2004, 12:06 AM
tobz,

Your bass problem is most likely related to your amplifier. I used the CL-61's with my rockford which put out 75x4 and it produced very satisfiying bass. But i recently bought a PPI pcx-480 which is rated at 80x4. I believe its actually over 100x4 rms, but nevertheless the CDT woofers really punch out the bass. I installed them on a 3/4" wood spacer and sealed it with silicon they are crossed over ~60hz. . With the PPI it feels like the speakers are gonna jump out the door they pound so hard. And i didn't dynamat the door either yet, nor have a cap.

klein
04-19-2004, 01:20 AM
vtec, do you have any experience with JL components or coaxials? I'm having a tough time finding out what the general idea is about them on these forums.

VTEC11
04-19-2004, 11:46 AM
vtec, do you have any experience with JL components or coaxials? I'm having a tough time finding out what the general idea is about them on these forums.

Klein,

Sorry I don't. But your looking for a componet set for the rear??

klein
04-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the replies...I ended up with a jl xr650-CSI component set....soon after I purchased it, thezeb had the cdt's in stock...lol
I'll keep you all updated with how the set performs

Unreal
04-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Friend had XRs in his Solara. I sold him a set of the CDTs, and he switched over and hasn't looked back. The CDTs outperformed the JLs in everyway. He sold the JLs and is loving the CDTs.

Berry47
04-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm running 300 watts rms to my cdt's and they sound great!!!