PDA

View Full Version : What to seal old screw holes with (sub box)

ckunke002
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm getting ride of a amp that was mounted on my sub box with screws, and I don't want to have those openings for air now... My friend is insistent on using caulk but I feel like it might not work great and the side I'm working on is carpeted and it might get messy.

I was thinking wood glue maybe?

Anybody have experience of a quick easy fix here? Thanks

southernboom88
02-14-2013, 08:16 AM
wood glue and pieces of toothpicks, after that dries i've put chalk over it just to be safe.

ckunke002
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
wood glue and pieces of toothpicks, after that dries i've put chalk over it just to be safe.

So dip a piece of toothpice the length of the thickness of the wood in glue, and then shove it in the hole?

southernboom88
02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
thats what i've done. filled hole with glue, shoved pieces of toothpicks into the said hole until it couldnt fit any more, added more glue and let dry. the toothpicks may be useless but in my mind it gave the glue something to bond with.. chalk over the rest of the hole.

ckunke002
02-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Great plan. Thanks m8

eddie_93
02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm getting ride of a amp that was mounted on my sub box with screws, and I don't want to have those openings for air now... My friend is insistent on using caulk but I feel like it might not work great and the side I'm working on is carpeted and it might get messy.

I was thinking wood glue maybe?

Anybody have experience of a quick easy fix here? Thanks
Hot glue since it dries clear and quickly.

momax_powers
02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Great plan. Thanks m8

Take subs out and do it from inside to avoid messing up carpet and mix sawdust with wood glue to make a paste and fill the holes works great

ckunke002
02-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Take subs out and do it from inside to avoid messing up carpet and mix sawdust with wood glue to make a paste and fill the holes works great

Sub has stripped screws, taking it out is a complete *****. The screw holes will be covered by a new amp anyways so im not sweatin it

mklett33
02-14-2013, 01:36 PM
There is a product called "wood filler" this is exactly what you want, it sand nicely too. Elmer'sŪ Interior Wood Filler - Wood Filler - Ace Hardware (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1274167&cagpspn=pla)

mlstrass
02-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Sub has stripped screws, taking it out is a complete *****. The screw holes will be covered by a new amp anyways so im not sweatin it

glue/toothpick trick mentioned above is perfect for fixing stripped mounting holes

tommydh
02-15-2013, 04:19 AM
take a piece of MDF the size of the amp and screw it in to place. This will also provide a placew for new amp without more holes in box in future.