PDA

View Full Version : What do I use to seal off my trunk?

PrinceCharming
02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
I want to seal off my trunk because it leaks on occasion, which i think I have fixed, and because I hear it will improve my bass response as well as reduce road noise. I'm not looking for sound deadening advice because I'm going to do that this summer and I know what to do about that.
My question is, what can I use to seal off my trunk (no air in or out unless I open it up)? I realize I won't be able to seal it completely unless I weld the trunk shut but I want to get it as well sealed as possible while still being able to open it. I've heard of using Great Stuff but I was thinking of using a rubber sealant spray like Flex Seal instead but I'm thinking thats gonna be pretty expensive so whichever you guys think is better.
I do not want to seal my car off from the rest of the cabin, just the outside.

Tenacious
02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Having a sealed off trunk means that your subs and port do not fire into the trunk at all.

xShoWTeKx
02-11-2013, 12:09 AM
^^^ This I think you misunderstood at some point.

audiobaun
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I want to seal off my trunk because it leaks on occasion, which i think I have fixed, and because I hear it will improve my bass response as well as reduce road noise. I'm not looking for sound deadening advice because I'm going to do that this summer and I know what to do about that. My question is, what can I use to seal off my trunk (no air in or out unless I open it up)? I realize I won't be able to seal it completely unless I weld the trunk shut but I want to get it as well sealed as possible while still being able to open it. I've heard of using Great Stuff but I was thinking of using a rubber sealant spray like Flex Seal instead but I'm thinking thats gonna be pretty expensive so whichever you guys think is better.

Id try some Silicone/caulking

UnderFire
02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Replace the trunk seals first and see if that fixes it

Tenacious
02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
But yeah if your trunk leaks silicone the crap out of it. It worked for me. I used to open my trunk and have 3 or 4 inches of water sitting in the spare tire well. 2 tubes of silicone later it's completely dry no matter what.

PrinceCharming
02-11-2013, 12:18 AM
What I mean is that I want to seal my trunk off from the outside, not from the cabin. I dont want any air coming into it from the outside of the car.

Like if I was going to use my trunk as an IB

PrinceCharming
02-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Is there like a spray silicone I can get? I want to make sure I cover completely where I need to. What kind of caulking holds up to Mississippi summer heat?

audiobaun
02-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Is there like a spray silicone I can get? I want to make sure I cover completely where I need to. What kind of caulking holds up to Mississippi summer heat?

No one can be specific on that answer really..That would be up to you to research for yourself/read the Labels for Applications, to determine which best suites you.

PrinceCharming
02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
What kind of caulk holds up to high heat is what i ment. I'm asking because I want to know if anybody has used it before and does it work.

Chriszle
02-11-2013, 01:08 AM
What exactly are you trying to seal? The vents?

xShoWTeKx
02-11-2013, 01:10 AM
do you not want to open the trunk?

dragnix
02-11-2013, 01:29 AM
He just wanna seal up the trunk opening so that when the trunk is closed no air escapes. That's what I read from that

tommydh
02-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Look into the stuff commecial window guys use. I see it on jobsites 1 brand is Sika I think

PrinceCharming
02-11-2013, 01:43 AM
He just wanna seal up the trunk opening so that when the trunk is closed no air escapes. That's what I read from that

Correct. I'm trying to seal every boot and anywhere else air can escape/get in my trunk. All I'm asking is what to use. I do not want to seal my trunk off from the rest of the cabin, just the outside.
I still want to be able to open my trunk tho.