PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used peerless sls 8" or exodus anarchy what speakers would you reccommend

imfromstlouis
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey im looking to buy a pair of peerless sls 8" to put hidden in the quater panels . Has anyone heard them before and what are your thoughts on them. I was also thinking of puting the exodus anarchy in the rear doors i am not sure sure what tweeters or mids to get for the front doors. I will be using a Jl audio 300/4 or does anyone reccomend a different amp. I dont think it will be enough power to run all this with. I have not bought anything yet except the Jl audio becuase it is out of my old system any suggestions would be appreciated. Also im not trying to spend a **** ton of money. I have installed systems usually i just buy a componet speakers and use subwoofers but i want a better sound now not just boom boom. I daf infinite kappas and type rs for door speakers i didnt like either of them they didnt get very loud or crisp with my jl maybe it was just the amp not sure. so what speaker do you guys reccoomend and amp.

imfromstlouis
02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
o vehicle is 2005 equinox

hispls
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
The Exodus Anarchy is not fit to cross over up into a standard tweeter. You would need to get creative and/or do 3 way front stage to pull that off. I use the last gen Exodus midrange and I really like it, but I must say mounting depth is a challenge (I can immagine the same or more-so for the new one). Also have Peerless mids in my doors now, I'm happy with them.

At the end of the day just throwing components into your doors is not going to give you the improvement you're looking for. Some work treating the doors, putting things in A pilars or kickpanels, or otherwise some creative placement of drivers is what you're after.

imfromstlouis
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
sorry for the messed up spelling i didnt proof read.

imfromstlouis
02-01-2013, 09:58 AM
yea i was looking into doing a 3 way front stage. I also have sound deading material to seal the door up i dont really want to use kick panel though. So what would you go with for the front and rear doors and what amp?

okiedokie
02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I have a pair of anarchy's that I use to play with.
Yes they best I've heard in a 3 way or in my case F.A.S.T. Setup.
They sound like subs in your doors.
They will pound the **** out of them.
I'm a SQL type of guy, so I didn't use a sub, at that time

TaylorFade
02-03-2013, 11:01 PM
The Exodus Anarchy is not fit to cross over up into a standard tweeter. You would need to get creative and/or do 3 way front stage to pull that off. I use the last gen Exodus midrange and I really like it, but I must say mounting depth is a challenge (I can immagine the same or more-so for the new one). Also have Peerless mids in my doors now, I'm happy with them.

At the end of the day just throwing components into your doors is not going to give you the improvement you're looking for. Some work treating the doors, putting things in A pilars or kickpanels, or otherwise some creative placement of drivers is what you're after.

The bolded was recently disspelled. With prejudice. The Exodus beat out a lot of forum boners in a very recent midwoofer shootout. It placed in "Tier 2" alongside the much ballyhooed Hybrid L6SE.

hispls
02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
The bolded was recently disspelled. With prejudice. The Exodus beat out a lot of forum boners in a very recent midwoofer shootout. It placed in "Tier 2" alongside the much ballyhooed Hybrid L6SE.

Really? That's an impressive driver than considering how capable it is for low frequencies!

neo_styles
02-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Really? That's an impressive driver than considering how capable it is for low frequencies!

It's the DIYMA shootout. I saw the same thing and, since I don't have the dime for the PHASS midbass, the Exodus would be great for the value. I do know they need to be in sealed enclosures to really shine, so OP if you can, see what you can do with that.

TaylorFade
02-04-2013, 01:26 AM

No doubt. Anarchy + Vifa xt25? Be a sweet DIY budget 2 way. Or the Silver Flutes to save some coin. I wish they'd have thrown those in there. I'm gonna PM bikinpunk and tell him to Klippel them things.

I keep thinking I might to do a full blown DIY budget SQ setup in the CRX and see how good I can get it for like... $300-400 total.

neo_styles
02-04-2013, 01:29 AM
No doubt. Anarchy + Vifa xt25? Be a sweet DIY budget 2 way. Or the Silver Flutes to save some coin. I wish they'd have thrown those in there. I'm gonna PM bikinpunk and tell him to Klippel them things.

I keep thinking I might to do a full blown DIY budget SQ setup in the CRX and see how good I can get it for like... $300-400 total.

Funny you mentioned the Vifa/Exodus combo, because that's EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing in the Tahoe build in a couple years. Think I just confirmed it now. Anarchys and VT25s on axis in dash pods... :drool:

ciaonzo
02-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Funny you mentioned the Vifa/Exodus combo, because that's EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing in the Tahoe build in a couple years. Think I just confirmed it now. Anarchys and VT25s on axis in dash pods... :drool:Don't latch on to that sealed pod idea too tightly, I mean unless you plan on hammering them with EQ and power. They handle power nicely, don't get me wrong, but they don't have huge coils by any means, why risk nearing thermal or running into compression? I use mine free air and they are stunners down into the 30's. As far as top end, you guys will **** when I tell you I run them wide open with a simple 6db slope (true acoustical pole) on my HF drivers. After T/A, EQ, and all that jazz, the raggedness on the top end is not apparent at all and the biggest gain is the overall coherency. The KISS principal at it's finest.

TaylorFade
02-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Don't latch on to that sealed pod idea too tightly, I mean unless you plan on hammering them with EQ and power. They handle power nicely, don't get me wrong, but they don't have huge coils by any means, why risk nearing thermal or running into compression? I use mine free air and they are stunners down into the 30's. As far as top end, you guys will **** when I tell you I run them wide open with a simple 6db slope (true acoustical pole) on my HF drivers. After T/A, EQ, and all that jazz, the raggedness on the top end is not apparent at all and the biggest gain is the overall coherency. The KISS principal at it's finest.

I tell people all the time that they should try this. I run my midwoofers wide open too.

Maybe it's psychoacoustical, but I hate having a crossover right in the middle of the vocal spectrum.

neo_styles
02-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Don't latch on to that sealed pod idea too tightly, I mean unless you plan on hammering them with EQ and power. They handle power nicely, don't get me wrong, but they don't have huge coils by any means, why risk nearing thermal or running into compression? I use mine free air and they are stunners down into the 30's. As far as top end, you guys will **** when I tell you I run them wide open with a simple 6db slope (true acoustical pole) on my HF drivers. After T/A, EQ, and all that jazz, the raggedness on the top end is not apparent at all and the biggest gain is the overall coherency. The KISS principal at it's finest.

Hmm a bit relieved to know that then. I was thinking both drivers on the dash for staging and imaging. So are you saying stock locations for the 6.5s would be more than sufficient (as long as doors are well-deadened)?

TaylorFade
02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Hmm a bit relieved to know that then. I was thinking both drivers on the dash for staging and imaging. So are you saying stock locations for the 6.5s would be more than sufficient (as long as doors are well-deadened)?

Good lawd. You were gonna put Anarchys on the dash?

ciaonzo
02-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Hmm a bit relieved to know that then. I was thinking both drivers on the dash for staging and imaging. So are you saying stock locations for the 6.5s would be more than sufficient (as long as doors are well-deadened)?Indeed. And if you want something like that you might consider what I have found to be the single finest full range from the Godfather of full range drivers himself, Ted Jordan, the JX92 (the new version is the E100HD). If you're willing to do something like that to your dash, this driver is it. From 45hz on up. You could augment it with the Anarchy in the door or run them right down to a sub, no problem. You would think that off axis response would be a problem but the cone behaves in a bending-wave fashion so that the radiating surface gets smaller as the frequency gets higher. I've owned them, they are phenomenal. How many people do you know that run two 5" and two 7" for a front stage?

http://www.eadsweden.com/shop/17596/art74/8372674-d191f1-EAD_E100HD_v1.1.pdf

TaylorFade
02-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Indeed. And if you want something like that you might consider what I have found to be the single finest full range from the Godfather of full range drivers himself, Ted Jordan, the JX92 (the new version is the E100HD). If you're willing to do something like that to your dash, this driver is it. From 45hz on up. You could augment it with the Anarchy in the door or run them right down to a sub, no problem. You would think that off axis response would be a problem but the cone behaves in a bending-wave fashion so that the radiating surface gets smaller as the frequency gets higher. I've owned them, they are phenomenal. How many people do you know that run two 5" and two 7" for a front stage?

http://www.eadsweden.com/shop/17596/art74/8372674-d191f1-EAD_E100HD_v1.1.pdf

Ummm... I want some. Who do I PayPal? Lol.

ciaonzo
02-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Ummm... I want some. Who do I PayPal? Lol.EAD Webshop (http://www.eadsweden.com/)

neo_styles
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Good lawd. You were gonna put Anarchys on the dash?

Eh, I was in the go big or go home school of thought. Really shooting for the most realistic soundstage possible. I want this to be a car that changes a lot of local perceptions of what car audio can do for years to come. I even thought about doing some LCY ribbons, but didn't like the idea of having to mount them in the kicks. I'd like to use as little TA as possible and just focus on rock solid driver placement.

trumpet
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Eh, I was in the go big or go home school of thought. Really shooting for the most realistic soundstage possible. I want this to be a car that changes a lot of local perceptions of what car audio can do for years to come. I even thought about doing some LCY ribbons, but didn't like the idea of having to mount them in the kicks. I'd like to use as little TA as possible and just focus on rock solid driver placement.

You aren't going to eliminate the need for TA with your mids on the dash. Take out your tape measure and jot down your path lengths from the dash corners to your forehead from each seat up front. The differences will vary between vehicles and where your head is positioned, but you will find more than enough difference for time delay to be of benefit for imaging.

I don't understand why today,with all the great DSPs available, people are still trying to make car audio like the old days. Don't be afraid to learn to tune, or at least to try it so you can appreciate what the prize winning SQ competitors are doing.

neo_styles
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
You aren't going to eliminate the need for TA with your mids on the dash. Take out your tape measure and jot down your path lengths from the dash corners to your forehead from each seat up front. The differences will vary between vehicles and where your head is positioned, but you will find more than enough difference for time delay to be of benefit for imaging.

I don't understand why today,with all the great DSPs available, people are still trying to make car audio like the old days. Don't be afraid to learn to tune, or at least to try it so you can appreciate what the prize winning SQ competitors are doing.

I'm not saying I want to eliminate needing TA entirely, just minimize its use. TA only takes me so far and I am definitely tell the difference between running TA in the passat to mimic proper placement vs actually having the drivers in a more on-axis setup. Appreciate the input, though.

Looked at those EADs and they're definitely nice. Just wished the frog plate was removable on the E60 as it seems like that's where the majority of the bulk comes from.

Go2Sleep
02-05-2013, 01:25 AM
I have a pair of anarchy's that I use to play with.
Yes they best I've heard in a 3 way or in my case F.A.S.T. Setup.
They sound like subs in your doors.
They will pound the **** out of them.
I'm a SQL type of guy, so I didn't use a sub, at that time
Hey man clear your PM BOX. it's full

imfromstlouis
02-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Ok might have to go with those then

imfromstlouis
02-06-2013, 03:37 AM
what are vifa i never heard of those?

imfromstlouis
02-06-2013, 03:48 AM
decided to put the anarchys in the rear doors. what would you guys go with in the front doors need some good clear crisp highs not worried about bass since the anarchys will provide that. Im not a baller either im on military pay lol. Nobody has used peerless before?

TaylorFade
02-06-2013, 05:21 AM

This is the fight that I have every day with the "knowledgable" SQ guys around here. They're all old school and none of them use or believe in T/A. "I didn't need no time alignment hullabaloo when I placed 3rd at finals 100 years ago"

Yeah? Well... this ain't 100 years ago.

neo_styles; get T/A and learn to use it in conjuction with a solid install/driver placement. Set it up for both seat positions and use a processor/HU that will let you swap between different listening positions. Then when you demo, swap the positions and let people hear the difference. My GF knows absolutley nothing about CA and when I swap between driver seat and passenger seat, even she can tell that it's night and day.

neo_styles
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
This is the fight that I have every day with the "knowledgable" SQ guys around here. They're all old school and none of them use or believe in T/A. "I didn't need no time alignment hullabaloo when I placed 3rd at finals 100 years ago"

Yeah? Well... this ain't 100 years ago.

neo_styles; get T/A and learn to use it in conjuction with a solid install/driver placement. Set it up for both seat positions and use a processor/HU that will let you swap between different listening positions. Then when you demo, swap the positions and let people hear the difference. My GF knows absolutley nothing about CA and when I swap between driver seat and passenger seat, even she can tell that it's night and day.

Dang, Taylor, way to sell me down the river. I'm not saying I won't use TA. That's the whole reason the Tahoe build is going to be centered around the Arc PS8. I'm using TA right now in my setup thanks to the CD7200mkii and it definitely helps, but it's not a concrete workaround to poor driver placement. I can definitely tell the shortfalls to not having my tweets up on the dash or higher, but it's definitely an improvement over a non-time aligned system. I'd just prefer to use it as little as possible and focus on the driver placement and round out the rest with TA and EQ. Appreciate the feedback, though. I have definitely wowed a few people who've never considered a benefit to time alignment in a vehicle until they sit down in my driver's seat and hear the difference.

neo_styles
02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree with you, though, that it is an OS way of thinking that driver placement is the be-all-end-all. It is, however, a solid foundation. You can't expect to mount your tweets on the rear deck of a trunk car and let TA magically fix things for you.

04silverz
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Man i cant leave well enough alone. Thinking about snagging a pair of anarchy again. Didnt have power for them the first timr around.

neo_styles
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Man i cant leave well enough alone. Thinking about snagging a pair of anarchy again. Didnt have power for them the first timr around.

Yep peer pressure stinks.

Do it.

TaylorFade
02-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Dang, Taylor, way to sell me down the river. I'm not saying I won't use TA. That's the whole reason the Tahoe build is going to be centered around the Arc PS8. I'm using TA right now in my setup thanks to the CD7200mkii and it definitely helps, but it's not a concrete workaround to poor driver placement. I can definitely tell the shortfalls to not having my tweets up on the dash or higher, but it's definitely an improvement over a non-time aligned system. I'd just prefer to use it as little as possible and focus on the driver placement and round out the rest with TA and EQ. Appreciate the feedback, though. I have definitely wowed a few people who've never considered a benefit to time alignment in a vehicle until they sit down in my driver's seat and hear the difference.

Lol. I wasn't calling you out or anything. But the simple fact is that in a car... the drivers are NOT equidistant from you. Well, unless you do some crazy ****. And tweeters really aren't even all that concerning. Obviously their physical mounting height will help stage height, but you don't even NEED T/A on tweeter frequencies since they're dominated by intensity.

Dedicated midrange.... well, kicks do wonders here for PLD's and IID is still pretty dominant so you could get away with very little electronic manipulation.

But midbass and lower midrange... chances are that they're in the doors and these are dominated by ITD's. Gots to have some T/A here.

I have a crap ton of tuning at my disposal with the Pioneer p99. But my **** is so simple. All but 7 (all cut and all within -3db) of my 31 bands are flat. I've got about 18" of delay on my driver's woofer and the driver's tweeter is -3db. That's it.

04silverz
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Yep peer pressure stinks.

Do it.
Haha. I'm sure I'll cave.

Lol. I wasn't calling you out or anything. But the simple fact is that in a car... the drivers are NOT equidistant from you. Well, unless you do some crazy ****. And tweeters really aren't even all that concerning. Obviously their physical mounting height will help stage height, but you don't even NEED T/A on tweeter frequencies since they're dominated by intensity.

Dedicated midrange.... well, kicks do wonders here for PLD's and IID is still pretty dominant so you could get away with very little electronic manipulation.

But midbass and lower midrange... chances are that they're in the doors and these are dominated by ITD's. Gots to have some T/A here.

I have a crap ton of tuning at my disposal with the Pioneer p99. But my **** is so simple. All but 7 (all cut and all within -3db) of my 31 bands are flat. I've got about 18" of delay on my driver's woofer and the driver's tweeter is -3db. That's it.

I really need to setup my time alignment. Been avoiding it for no real reason

neo_styles
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Not bad at all. I'm slowly leaning more and more towards a MS8 over the PS8. Seems like a much more intelligent setup that I'm willing to forgo having all the hands-on controls. I realized yesterday that the DAC on the Pure i20 will be more than capable of handling the processing duties that I can withstand RCA out. That intelligent EQ curve seems like a lifesaver. As of right now, the only EQ on my system is a wide Q on the 2.5K to raise the soundstage and another wide cut on the 8K to remove the sibilance and push the stage back. Sounds really good right now, especially on Zedd's Clarity album. The midbass output on Codec actually surprised me and reminded me I need to deaden the beauty panel over my passenger door handle/armrest.