PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with question: what is the best $300 component speakers I can buy?

sizzling
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone. Brand new to car audio and this forum.

Current specs (super basic): '01 Maxima
Stereo: alpine cde-133bt
Speakers:6.5" alpine sps-610c pair in front, stock clarions in back
Power specs for the stereo are: Power Handling Peak: 50W X 4
Power Handling RMS: 18W X 4

Just bought these speakers from bbuy with installation, but just cannot stand the tweeters. Just dont sound clean, and have a crackly fuzzy sound in certain frequencies. Absolutely ruin the listening experience for me. The 6.5"s sound fine, but nothing special. Plan to return asap when I decide what I want to replace them with.

Want to go up in price from current but $300 is my max. Looking for the best sound quality $300 can buy for front component speakers!

Thanks in advance!

Bettr n' Revrse
01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
How are they installed?

mylows10
01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
50 % install and 50% speakers . cdt hd 61a get my vote at 270 a set til monday

sizzling
01-30-2013, 11:05 PM
How are they installed?

Installed by best buy techs. I just do not have the time to learn how to do it, what to speak of actually installing them. I spoke with the guy who installed them about the tweeters, and he said there was nothing he could do besides enable crossovers or something which would spike the tweeters to even higher frequencies. Definitely dont want that.

"50 % install and 50% speakers . cdt hd 61a get my vote at 270 a set til monday"

what do you mean by 50% install 50% speakers? Just trying to clarify, the option you're reccomending is $270 for everything right?

Thanks again.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Meaning the way the tweeters are mounted is going to play a huge role...

Falcons
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
phd's

mylows10
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Installed by best buy techs. I just do not have the time to learn how to do it, what to speak of actually installing them. I spoke with the guy who installed them about the tweeters, and he said there was nothing he could do besides enable crossovers or something which would spike the tweeters to even higher frequencies. Definitely dont want that.

"50 % install and 50% speakers . cdt hd 61a get my vote at 270 a set til monday"

what do you mean by 50% install 50% speakers? Just trying to clarify, the option you're reccomending is $270 for everything right?

Thanks again.
yes 270 for the mids ,tweets and 2 x overs .what i mean by install is ,are the doors deadened at all ? are the tweets installed in the right position to make them sound the best ? and what amp are you using for the components , does it bring the sound out like it should ?

PHD - USA
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Phd Fb 6.1 kit gets my vote $299, for an amazing speaker set made in Italy.

mylows10
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Phd Fb 6.1 kit gets my vote $299, for an amazing speaker set made in Italy.

haven't heard them yet ,was talking to mike yesterday tho,hoping to be a rep soon

Bettr n' Revrse
01-31-2013, 01:02 AM
haven't heard them yet ,was talking to mike yesterday tho,hoping to be a rep soon

Just doing CA Jim?

oo7
01-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Hey not to steal your thread 'sizzling' but I too am a newbie and am in a similar situation. Just trying to get an honest opinion about what brand to go with. I, like sizzling, don't mind spending the money, just want to spend it once, on the right product. I havent bought anything yet, but right now I am leaning toward JL C5-650 components for the front (03 civic sedan), and HERTZ HCX 165 "hi-energy" coax's for the rear... Also with two either 10 or 12 inch JL w3's in the trunk, havent decided. Can I do better for the money? Is there a better brand out there? Would you not mix brand between front and rear? Apologies if this is rude to post here sizzling and others... Just found this site 20 minutes ago and this is my first post. Thanks, i appreciate any feedback.

marc2112
01-31-2013, 04:59 AM
Hey not to steal your thread 'sizzling' but I too am a newbie and am in a similar situation. Just trying to get an honest opinion about what brand to go with. I, like sizzling, don't mind spending the money, just want to spend it once, on the right product. I havent bought anything yet, but right now I am leaning toward JL C5-650 components for the front (03 civic sedan), and HERTZ HCX 165 "hi-energy" coax's for the rear... Also with two either 10 or 12 inch JL w3's in the trunk, havent decided. Can I do better for the money? Is there a better brand out there? Would you not mix brand between front and rear? Apologies if this is rude to post here sizzling and others... Just found this site 20 minutes ago and this is my first post. Thanks, i appreciate any feedback.

JL products are overrated and overpriced... stick with Hertz or if you want to buy from someone here; get CDTs or PHDs.

av83
01-31-2013, 05:00 AM

sizzling???

edit: I now see this is the op's name, lol. whoops.

and the general consensus around here is that there is much better to be had for the price of JL Audio. I can't say for certain, having never run a single JL product in my life... but just looking at the specs of their products vs others in the same price is rather enlightening. I would take a b stock Sundown Audio E-12 over a W3 any day. And I own almost the same PHD set mentioned above(slightly different midrange). It's sounds absolutely fantastic.

av83
01-31-2013, 05:10 AM
JL products are overrated and overpriced... stick with Hertz or if you want to buy from someone here; get CDTs or PHDs.

The gentleman at DIYMA feel the same way about Hertz, lol.

marc2112
01-31-2013, 05:20 AM
The gentleman at DIYMA feel the same way about Hertz, lol.

Choosing between overpriced JLs or overpriced Hertzs. Let me think...uuuuuh? I think i'll stick with my italian made ribbon mids.

av83
01-31-2013, 05:21 AM
Choosing between overpriced JLs or overpriced Hertzs. Let me think...uuuuuh? I think i'll stick with my italian made ribbon mids.

Lol, yes. I whole-heartedly agree. How do the ribbon mids sound?

marc2112
01-31-2013, 05:30 AM
I made a demonstration to a guy I work with and he told me that it was like the harmonica was in his head. They are very smooth and detailed.

oo7
01-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Awesome, thank you everyone. Amp wise I'll be getting a 5 channel (possibly the jl 900/5hd) roughly 1000watt amp, (100x4, 500x1) something in that wattage range. Would those speakers be underpowered by an amp that size? Same with the Sundown e-12's, rms listed at 400, would two of those subs be underpowered with an amp that size? Definitely Sundown over JL for subwooofers? I've heard JL's best products are their amps and subs.

av83
01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Awesome, thank you everyone. Amp wise I'll be getting a 5 channel (possibly the jl 900/5hd) roughly 1000watt amp, (100x4, 500x1) something in that wattage range. Would those speakers be underpowered by an amp that size? Same with the Sundown e-12's, rms listed at 400, would two of those subs be underpowered with an amp that size? Definitely Sundown over JL for subwooofers? I've heard JL's best products are their amps and subs.

Do you have anything against going used? There's some killer deals on quality equipment here in the classifieds. That JL amp is almost $700, new. For that amount of money you can have a fantastic mono and four channel, new or used. If you have a ton of money to blow on audio, than get whatever tickles your fancy. But I've built a heck of system for <$1500, because I know where to look, what to look for, and took the time to install properly.

coltwiget
01-31-2013, 06:11 AM
Do you have anything against going used? There's some killer deals on quality equipment here in the classifieds. That JL amp is almost $700, new. For that amount of money you can have a fantastic mono and four channel, new or used. If you have a ton of money to blow on audio, than get whatever tickles your fancy. But I've built a heck of system for <$1500, because I know where to look, what to look for, and took the time to install properly.

^^This. I have 2 shocker sig 12's, an opti 7k, over 50ft of 2/0 welding cable, soon to have a 250 amp alt, a 55ah c&d batt and 4 102ah c&d batts and will have just under $2000.00 in it. So I dont see why if you had half the sub stage you couldnt have a hell of a mids and highs setup to go along with it for $2000.00 total.

av83
01-31-2013, 06:13 AM
Great Mono's here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/566427-phoenix-gold-xenon-x1200-1-a.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/566469-sundown-sae-1200d-sale.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/566475-kicker-zx1000-1-a.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/566077-phoenix-gold-ryval-v8001-800%402.html

Four channels are EVERYWHERE, lol. I see great ones on Craigslist all the time for super cheap.

But... This one is a steal!!! http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/565737-f-s-memphis-mc2004-mclass-4-channel-50x4rms%404ohm-75x4rms%402ohm-works-great.html

av83
01-31-2013, 06:20 AM
^^This. I have 2 shocker sig 12's, an opti 7k, over 50ft of 2/0 welding cable, soon to have a 250 amp alt, a 55ah c&d batt and 4 102ah c&d batts and will have just under $2000.00 in it. So I dont see why if you had half the sub stage you couldnt have a hell of a mids and highs setup to go along with it for $2000.00 total.

Wee'z Shocker bros! lol, I'm growing more critical of how the front stage sounds everyday, so I started going in a different direction a few months ago. But, I was seriously considering a sig 15" for a minute.

mylows10
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Just doing CA Jim?

Yea most of Cali prolly

sizzling
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
yes 270 for the mids ,tweets and 2 x overs .what i mean by install is ,are the doors deadened at all ? are the tweets installed in the right position to make them sound the best ? and what amp are you using for the components , does it bring the sound out like it should ?

First off, thanks for everyones responses so far. To answer the question above, all I know is that the best buy technicians installed the set, lol. I have no knowledge at all of car audio unfortunately. Not sure how the tweeters are mounted and if the doors are deadened. The only thing I know of powering my speakers is the headunit i mentioned in my original post.

So as it stands now, if im not mistaken, it seems there are 2 options that you guys would put above the rest: cdt hd 61a and Phd Fb 6.1 kits.

Will my Headunit be enough to power those? And how would I find out if there is deadening in my doors, as well as if they are big enough to fit the magnets in these speakers?

mylows10
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
ok i doubt there is and deadening material in your doors if done at best buy , i can pretty much guarantee this .if there are 6.5 components in now then there shouldn't be an issue with either set,but you will need to know the max mounting depth allowed in you doors .i do know that the cdt components are 2.5 inch mounting depth because of the european design .you should be good if you have the type s components in there now. also the hu will work on either set as well but if you really want them to sound good then you'll need an amp and the deadening of the doors .

sizzling
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks man. Would best buy have the facility to do deadening of the doors you think? And what do you mean when you say "re" and "se" ?

"type s components in the re now. also the hu will work on either se as well"

mylows10
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks man. Would best buy have the facility to do deadening of the doors you think? And what do you mean when you say "re" and "se" ?

"type s components in the re now. also the hu will work on either se as well"

just some mishaps in typing .i doubt they will even have the deadening material to install , its not that hard to do ,shoot me a text and ill show you a pic of my doors and tell you what needs to be done .650-483-4312 jim

sizzling
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Is it something I could do myself post installation? As I was mentioning before, any kind of installation is kind of out of the question atm for me right now. Just dont have the time. Unless its incredibly simple, then maybe I would consider, lol :)

If its more than super simple, could I give materials to the best buy techs to do it? Also wanted to ask, are there any good links you would reccommend to shop for prices on these 2 component sets?

Thanks again!

PHD - USA
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
There isn't much shopping for phd haha. They are new to the states, so you have to go through the US rep. I will send you his email in a minute or two.

mylows10
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
i sell the cdt components and the deadener,no online sales of the phd components are permitted .not very hard to install the deadener , but you do need to remove the door panels
http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/hd/hd61a.htm heres a link to the cdt components

PHD - USA
01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
PHD - Speakers - Model FB 6.1 KIT - (http://www.phd.it/welcome_to/speakers/fb61_kit.asp)

av83
01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Is it something I could do myself post installation? As I was mentioning before, any kind of installation is kind of out of the question atm for me right now. Just dont have the time. Unless its incredibly simple, then maybe I would consider, lol :)

If its more than super simple, could I give materials to the best buy techs to do it? Also wanted to ask, are there any good links you would reccommend to shop for prices on these 2 component sets?

Thanks again!

Is there anywhere else in your area? Best Buy is pretty much as bad as it gets when it comes to installations. They will get the speakers in there, but won't do a single thing else.

Here's a pic of me installing my set. You can kind of make out the deadener that was already in place before i started. I actually consider the seals that are surrounding the speaker, and close the gap in between the speaker and the plastic door panel, to be more critical when it comes to getting the most out of the mid. Best buy will NEVER do this. Probably won't even know what you're talking about if you ask them to, lol.

http://imageshack.us/a/img84/8717/20130112161518.jpg

sizzling
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Is there anywhere else in your area? Best Buy is pretty much as bad as it gets when it comes to installations. They will get the speakers in there, but won't do a single thing else.

Here's a pic of me installing my set. You can kind of make out the deadener that was already in place before i started. I actually consider the seals that are surrounding the speaker, and close the gap in between the speaker and the plastic door panel, to be more critical when it comes to getting the most out of the mid. Best buy will NEVER do this. Probably won't even know what you're talking about if you ask them to, lol.

http://imageshack.us/a/img84/8717/20130112161518.jpg

Thanks for the pic. So the deadeners are the foam circles surrounding the speakers and thats it? I see.

Well I dont think Im up for removing my door panels. I do believe there are some other car audio places in the area that I could research. Even to a layman like myself, I could see how its common sense that best buy is like the wal mart of audio installation. Basically done on a large scale but a cheap end product. So the PHDs are $299? How much justice would my hu do for them?

mylows10
01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
the deadener isn't those foam pieces

sizzling
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Oops, I guess its the silverish area peering out the top with the black and grey thing hanging from the side. Anyways, I will have to do some research on audio installation places in my area as well as find out from the best buy techs if my doors would hold the 2.5" mounting depths. Thanks Ge and Mylows for your help as well as everyone else.

mylows10
01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
yes its the silver colored stuff you see .and your welcome