PDA

View Full Version : Is this sealed box too big?

Grinchvr6
01-30-2013, 04:16 AM
I currently have a Boston g310-4 subwoofer. The recommended min/max sealed box size for this sub is .50 cu ft. I have the opportunity to buy a sealed box that is custom fit to my car, but it is 1.16 cu ft. Since this box is almost double the recommended size, will it degrade the sound quality? Thanks

DoesDad
01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
That box fits it ported though. I see you're in OKC. Hit up pro-rabbit @ DC Creations. He's a box designer on here, a moderator for the site and has a business in OKC. He'd probably put in an aeroport or tell you how to do it. You'd get better output of the G3 ported anyway.

tommydh
01-30-2013, 07:34 AM
That box fits it ported though. I see you're in OKC. Hit up pro-rabbit @ DC Creations. He's a box designer on here, a moderator for the site and has a business in OKC. He'd probably put in an aeroport or tell you how to do it. You'd get better output of the G3 ported anyway.
I agree with DoesDad that would be easiest. You could always try the sub in the sealed box and see how it sounds some subs sound really good in a larger sealed box.

n8skow
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
In the oversized box - you will reach the mechanical limitations of the sub much quicker (since there isn't as much of a 'spring' behind the woofer).
How much power you're putting to the woofer will greatly influence this - but long story short, I'd stay within the recommended specs.

Put 2 woofers in that large box, port it, or have a proper size enclosure built.

Chriszle
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
In the oversized box - you will reach the mechanical limitations of the sub much quicker (since there isn't as much of a 'spring' behind the woofer).
How much power you're putting to the woofer will greatly influence this - but long story short, I'd stay within the recommended specs.

Put 2 woofers in that large box, port it, or have a proper size enclosure built.

This

Spooney
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
You could buy the enclosure and add some internal bracing to strengthen it and eat up some space to get you closer to where you need to be. A few 2 x 4's would be inexpensive and eat up space quick.

Jroo
01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
unless you are getting some crazy stupid deal (free), I wouldnt buy a box so far out of spec. I cant imagine that any shop coulnt whip up a 0.50 sealed box cheap. I have had a few sealed boxes that were larger that spec and it helped the low end, but none were that far off.

esmokah
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
figure in sub displacement too when you are making the right size box