PDA

View Full Version : need hu help

ewadz3006
01-26-2013, 12:22 AM
So, a buddy of mine wants to put in a new hu.
He has a 2003 chevy reg cab pick up. Nothing fancy. Already has a aftermarket pioneer hu in it. Not sure of model. But it doesnt play c.d.'s. So he wants a new one. He said two local shops told him he needs a 70-90$ harness? Its got a ftermarket cd player in it already. Its already got the dash kit too. He took it to two places and they both said he needed a harness?

So am i missing anything or are they just trying to hose him?

mylows10
01-26-2013, 12:37 AM
if there is already a aftermarket deck there then i dont any reason for the harness ,he already has it i would assume

ewadz3006
01-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Thats what i was thinking. Even if he did nerd it, would it be any where near 70-90$?

Slayerx
01-26-2013, 04:08 AM
I doubt he would need anything if there's an aftermarket hu already installed.
They didn't say what the harness was for exactly?
Been a while since I checked but I know some 2000s ford Taurus needed an expensive harness due to the a/c controls interfering, and those at the time were roughly that much. Haven't seen a Chevy needing anything like that.

Tenacious
01-26-2013, 04:17 AM
I doubt he would need anything if there's an aftermarket hu already installed.
They didn't say what the harness was for exactly?
Been a while since I checked but I know some 2000s ford Taurus needed an expensive harness due to the a/c controls interfering, and those at the time were roughly that much. Haven't seen a Chevy needing anything like that.

On kit #2 (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) for my Taurus... Hurts my wallet

And sounds like the shops are trying to rip you off or are stupid. A shop charged me $40 for a wiring harness I later found on amazon and eBay for $7.

ewadz3006
01-26-2013, 07:44 AM
All the harnesses ive ever bought eere like 7$ at wally world a d like 15-20$ at a audio shop. I have yet to see a installation kit to be that much. I didnt figure he needed one, i was just wondering if i was missing something.

MutantDreams
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
It depends it does use a data harness, but if you already have a aftermarket radio, you don't need it.