PDA

View Full Version : iPad for HU

Atl_monte
01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
I've see a couple install utilizing an iPad for a HU, I was thinking about doing one but was what parts I would need, I know some sore of interface would be required, any help would be nice

alec14
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I've been interested in how they're made, what parts are needed, etc. As well. I'm tuned in.

Durango03
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I've see a couple install utilizing an iPad for a HU, I was thinking about doing one but was what parts I would need, I know some sore of interface would be required, any help would be nice

I've been interested in how they're made, what parts are needed, etc. As well. I'm tuned in.

SoundmanCA : Home of the iPad install (http://shop.soundmanca.com/)
Photos and info — Soundman - Home of the iPad mini Car Install (http://www.soundmanca.com/photos-and-info/)

$1,200 bucks if they do it.. obviously much cheaper to just look at the pics and try to fiberglass one yourself. However they sell the necessary hardware as well.

neo_styles
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Soundman is a ripoff unless you're buying their stuff and, even then, not saving much.

IPad installs are actually pretty easy. You can just use a LOC with an Aux In if you want the bare basics. If you want to be fancy, use the line in of a HU or sound processor. As for the mount, 04murdalanche ; has done a couple and can suggest the best method for fabricating one.

neo_styles
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Ideas for a processor: JBL MS8, Arc PS8, or Rockford 3.sixty

For an LOC, an Audiocontrol LC6i will be more than enough.

alec14
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Those Audiocontrol ones are some of the most common but best out there, right? And I'd prefer to make my own than drop $1,200 to get one made.

Atl_monte
01-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Like Alec14 said Id rather make my own than drop $1200, I would like the iPad to charge when docked, and how would I get the signal to from the iPad to the Audiocontrol? Would the 12 volt istreamer be the only way to accomplish that? Or are there similar units?

tc300
01-26-2013, 09:06 AM
I know some1 who is doin an install with a mini.. Using the 3.5 jack to an alpine ai-net deck. Got the idea from me using the same alpine deck (cda-7892)...

04murdalanche
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
SoundmanCA : Home of the iPad install (http://shop.soundmanca.com/)
Photos and info — Soundman - Home of the iPad mini Car Install (http://www.soundmanca.com/photos-and-info/)

$1,200 bucks if they do it.. obviously much cheaper to just look at the pics and try to fiberglass one yourself. However they sell the necessary hardware as well.

You can choose to buy from them or not, I only got the front face bezel and bent over for it, I got it because I couldn't get the face bezel to look the way I wanted it too.. But I can build anyone on here one for MUCH cheaper than 1200 and it will look just as good. They do have some nice pieces but everything on their website is over priced IMO

Soundman is a ripoff unless you're buying their stuff and, even then, not saving much.

IPad installs are actually pretty easy. You can just use a LOC with an Aux In if you want the bare basics. If you want to be fancy, use the line in of a HU or sound processor. As for the mount, 04murdalanche ; has done a couple and can suggest the best method for fabricating one.
This..

I've done 4 now. You nailed it pretty good, I will be using a Audison Bit ten D with my next install but for now I'm using a Kenwood x994, it allows me to control the ipad and still gives me volume control from the HU itself..

Ideas for a processor: JBL MS8, Arc PS8, or Rockford 3.sixty

For an LOC, an Audiocontrol LC6i will be more than enough.

LC6i would be a good beginner choice, if you got dough I'd recommend either the 3sixty or the Audison bit tenD or bit one

Those Audiocontrol ones are some of the most common but best out there, right? And I'd prefer to make my own than drop $1,200 to get one made.

Audiocontrol is decent but won't sound as good as the others previously mentioned

Like Alec14 said Id rather make my own than drop $1200, I would like the iPad to charge when docked, and how would I get the signal to from the iPad to the Audiocontrol? Would the 12 volt istreamer be the only way to accomplish that? Or are there similar units?

You can use a thing called a pocket dock, or using the I streamer will help as well, I will be using a device called a Pure I20 with a Toslink cable to the Bit Ten D

PM me if you guys have any questions or need help.

Jeff

neo_styles
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. I've been taking a hard look at the Pure i20 as well for my next build...have to get an SUV within the next couple years because the family's growing by one soon. Planning to have a CZ702 in case we need radio or CD, but the brain will be an iPhone/iPad docked to a Pure i20 and then optical to an Arc PS8. If you have any recommendations on how to not even need the Clarion, I'm open to it, but the dash on my SUV options (Jimmy/Blazer/Tahoe/Cherokee) leads me to think I need something single-DIN sized in there just to keep it clean

keep_hope_alive
01-28-2013, 01:43 AM
you can get a 30 pin connector that allows for charging and audio (independent of the volume and crappy headphone connector) for pretty cheap. i got one for under $10.

you will need something to process the audio, something with a volume control. could be as simple and cheap as a 1/2 din EQ or as fancy as a Bit One.

and that's about all you need. it will play music and with an internet connection it will do Pandora or even Netflix.

alec14
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Do they still cost a good amount, even if you piece it together or build it yourself?

04murdalanche
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. I've been taking a hard look at the Pure i20 as well for my next build...have to get an SUV within the next couple years because the family's growing by one soon. Planning to have a CZ702 in case we need radio or CD, but the brain will be an iPhone/iPad docked to a Pure i20 and then optical to an Arc PS8. If you have any recommendations on how to not even need the Clarion, I'm open to it, but the dash on my SUV options (Jimmy/Blazer/Tahoe/Cherokee) leads me to think I need something single-DIN sized in there just to keep it clean

You don't need a EQ, (the clarion) as long as you have something to get a clean signal from the ipad to your amps, whether it be to a HU, EQ or processor it doesn't matter. I just like having a HU or something where I can have multiple sources. That's why I want the Audison and for its SQ. Ill have the ipad going optical, then my second source will be a semi-permanently mounted iPod touch for just in case I forget my iPad.

you can get a 30 pin connector that allows for charging and audio (independent of the volume and crappy headphone connector) for pretty cheap. i got one for under $10.

you will need something to process the audio, something with a volume control. could be as simple and cheap as a 1/2 din EQ or as fancy as a Bit One.

and that's about all you need. it will play music and with an internet connection it will do Pandora or even Netflix.

Keephopealive pretty much nailed it, one thing you guys can do to save money, is just buy the wifi only model and tether the Internet to your ipad so that you don't have to pay the monthly fee of 3g/4g service.

I have the ipad mini with 4g but I don't have a Internet subscription, the only reason I bought the one with 4g service is because it has a GPS chip inside of it that the wifi model does not, so when I tether the Internet to my ipad, I have turn by turn navigation.. Freakin lovely lol

Do they still cost a good amount, even if you piece it together or build it yourself?

Does what cost a good amount? The dash fab?

alec14
01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
You don't need a EQ, (the clarion) as long as you have something to get a clean signal from the ipad to your amps, whether it be to a HU, EQ or processor it doesn't matter. I just like having a HU or something where I can have multiple sources. That's why I want the Audison and for its SQ. Ill have the ipad going optical, then my second source will be a semi-permanently mounted iPod touch for just in case I forget my iPad.

Keephopealive pretty much nailed it, one thing you guys can do to save money, is just buy the wifi only model and tether the Internet to your ipad so that you don't have to pay the monthly fee of 3g/4g service.

I have the ipad mini with 4g but I don't have a Internet subscription, the only reason I bought the one with 4g service is because it has a GPS chip inside of it that the wifi model does not, so when I tether the Internet to my ipad, I have turn by turn navigation.. Freakin lovely lol

Does what cost a good amount? The dash fab?

yeah, dash fab. And/or all the necessary parts to build a good ipad dash.

04murdalanche
01-28-2013, 11:27 PM
yeah, dash fab. And/or all the necessary parts to build a good ipad dash.

youll need a router or jig saw to cut out your faceplate, i just bought a faceplate directly from soundman to use as a template for now on, either fiberglass a pan yourself or buy one from soundman, youll need a lightening USB cable, fiberglass resin, and mat, sandpaper and some time lol you can build one for under $100 very easily.

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:29 PM
youll need a router or jig saw to cut out your faceplate, i just bought a faceplate directly from soundman to use as a template for now on, either fiberglass a pan yourself or buy one from soundman, youll need a lightening USB cable, fiberglass resin, and mat, sandpaper and some time lol you can build one for under $100 very easily.

Or we can put you to hire for a nominal price and let your expert skills handle it ;)

04murdalanche
01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Or we can put you to hire for a nominal price and let your expert skills handle it ;)

i can do it for a hell of a lot cheaper than soundmans $1200 price qoute let me tell you... lol

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
i can do it for a hell of a lot cheaper than soundmans $1200 price qoute let me tell you... lol

Figured as much. May recruit you in about a year to make some dash pods for a set of Easttech 2.5" mids and tweeters when I replace the Passat with a Tahoe, btw.

04murdalanche
01-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Figured as much. May recruit you in about a year to make some dash pods for a set of Easttech 2.5" mids and tweeters when I replace the Passat with a Tahoe, btw.
Your moving up in my book good sir(: I loooove tahoes

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Your moving up in my book good sir(: I loooove tahoes

Then you'll love some parts of the build. Same input setup as previously mentioned with either 4 Dayton HO 8s or 4 AB XFL 8s, two 4-channel amps, and a beefy monoblock. Looking at close to 4k for the build with all the electrical upgrades and deadening added in.

04murdalanche
01-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Then you'll love some parts of the build. Same input setup as previously mentioned with either 4 Dayton HO 8s or 4 AB XFL 8s, two 4-channel amps, and a beefy monoblock. Looking at close to 4k for the build with all the electrical upgrades and deadening added in.
Niiiiice , you should really give the SA-8V2 a look or chance man... But the XFL I'm sure is great as well got a single 10 in my girls car on a MB Quart 1500.1 and it slaps.

How much power you wanting to run to the subs?

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Niiiiice , you should really give the SA-8V2 a look or chance man... But the XFL I'm sure is great as well got a single 10 in my girls car on a MB Quart 1500.1 and it slaps.

How much power you wanting to run to the subs?

Not sure yet...the XFLs will be if I get them from mylows10 ; when he swaps out for the new DC m3 8. Otherwise Dayton and they'd be getting rated, so 300 each. I was going to use a PPI BK1800.1 if I go Dayton. Otherwise an AB VFL 500.1 on the XFLs.

And if I go Sundown, I'd do 3 or 4 SD-2 8s sealed. Trying to keep it relatively small and not lose much space.

mylows10
01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Not sure yet...the vFLs will be if I get them from mylows10 ; when he swaps out for the new DC m3 8. Otherwise Dayton and they'd be getting rated, so 300 each. I was going to use a PPI BK1800.1 if I go Dayton. Otherwise an AB VFL 500.1 on the vFLs.
fixed

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
fixed

Thanks, Jim. Don't know why I had XFL in my head.

mylows10
01-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks, Jim. Don't know why I had XFL in my head.

its cool mark

neo_styles
01-28-2013, 11:58 PM
its cool mark

Long days will do that to you. Finally get some unwind time and I choose to spend it here. What's wrong with me lol. I'm turning into you!

mylows10
01-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Long days will do that to you. Finally get some unwind time and I choose to spend it here. What's wrong with me lol. I'm turning into you!

not me ,i just dont turn off the laptop

04murdalanche
01-29-2013, 01:20 AM
lulz, well let me know when you want to get the sheit done Neo, you know i gotcha for the cheapz;)

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 01:26 AM
lulz, well let me know when you want to get the sheit done Neo, you know i gotcha for the cheapz;)

No doubt, bud. I've got time enough to plan this. Just have to keep my hands away from getting a MS-8 until then. Can grab it for 499 direct using AAFES. I have your number and intend to use it lol.

04murdalanche
01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
No doubt, bud. I've got time enough to plan this. Just have to keep my hands away from getting a MS-8 until then. Can grab it for 499 direct using AAFES. I have your number and intend to use it lol.

im getting my Bit Ten D for 400 + ship brand *** new, they usually go for 600. i gots da hookup(:

but yeah just text me my friend,

SourDeez
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Haha your sig is making me lol

also what kind of tahoe you lookin at?

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Haha your sig is making me lol

also what kind of tahoe you lookin at?

Early 2000s v6 but not 4x4 since I don't need a gas-hog in the city. Want something reliable around the 5-6k price point.

And thanks on the sig. Figured the Grohl was getting overdone.

SourDeez
01-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Early 2000s v6 but not 4x4 since I don't need a gas-hog in the city. Want something reliable around the 5-6k price point.

And thanks on the sig. Figured the Grohl was getting overdone.

I wasnt aware that they made a tahoe with a V6

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
I wasnt aware that they made a tahoe with a V6

Finger slipped. I'm on the phone. Meant a v8. Looking at the LS since I really don't need the premium options.

SourDeez
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Finger slipped. I'm on the phone. Meant a v8. Looking at the LS since I really don't need the premium options.

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe for sale by Chicago Motors Inc., Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Chicago, IL area (http://www.chicagomotors.info/1796/2005-Chevrolet-Tahoe-4WD)

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe for sale by Chicago Motors Inc., Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Chicago, IL area (http://www.chicagomotors.info/1796/2005-Chevrolet-Tahoe-4WD)

Lol that's kinda funny. Definitely a cool idea but made me think about hitting up some police auctions when the time comes. Could snag something with the basics of a decent system in there. Something like this:

Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD LS in San Diego, CA 92130: Sport Utility Details - 318137117 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2004&zip=92154&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerTypes=b&maxPrice=10000&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BTAHOE%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=TAHOE&sortBy=yearASC&showcaseOwnerId=66944&makeCode1=CHEV&startYear=1981&extColorsSimple=WHITE&searchRadius=75&listingId=318137117&listingIndex=6&Log=0)

Hopefully something like that is still around when the time comes. Obviously the HU and amps would be replaced. Starting to lean towards the MMATS Ultimate HiFi and 2000.1D, but that lifts the price point up quite a bit.

SourDeez
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Lol that's kinda funny. Definitely a cool idea but made me think about hitting up some police auctions when the time comes. Could snag something with the basics of a decent system in there. Something like this:

Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD LS in San Diego, CA 92130: Sport Utility Details - 318137117 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2004&zip=92154&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerTypes=b&maxPrice=10000&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BTAHOE%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=TAHOE&sortBy=yearASC&showcaseOwnerId=66944&makeCode1=CHEV&startYear=1981&extColorsSimple=WHITE&searchRadius=75&listingId=318137117&listingIndex=6&Log=0)

Hopefully something like that is still around when the time comes. Obviously the HU and amps would be replaced. Starting to lean towards the MMATS Ultimate HiFi and 2000.1D, but that lifts the price point up quite a bit.

I been looking at buying a police tahoe. These ones come without carpet, dual batteries already, HO alternator.... just begging for a system to be dropped in. Just run the wires and throw OEM carpet over it and you're done.

Something like this

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe for sale by Chicago Motors Inc., Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Chicago, IL area (http://www.chicagomotors.info/1931/2008-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LS-4WD)

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
I been looking at buying a police tahoe. These ones come without carpet, dual batteries already, HO alternator.... just begging for a system to be dropped in. Just run the wires and throw OEM carpet over it and you're done.

Something like this

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe for sale by Chicago Motors Inc., Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Chicago, IL area (http://www.chicagomotors.info/1931/2008-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LS-4WD)

Hmm that's enticing. Just wish I didn't have to drive out to Chicago to pick it up lol, but it'd be one hell of a test drive.

04murdalanche
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Something like this

We think very much alike good sir this has been something I've been wanting to do for a while

SourDeez
01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Hmm that's enticing. Just wish I didn't have to drive out to Chicago to pick it up lol, but it'd be one hell of a test drive.

Try to get into some auctions. All that chicago place is a little dealer that buys police vehicles from auction.

The cool thing about that is federal agencies are required to replace their vehicles every set amount of years or mileage which ever comes first. Some of those things are in great condition and not beat on, required maintenance and such.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

We think very much alike good sir this has been something I've been wanting to do for a while

Yeah I would just need to take out a loan cause thers no way I'm getting rid of my car. But when I do.. the system in that motherufkcer

04murdalanche
01-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Try to get into some auctions. All that chicago place is a little dealer that buys police vehicles from auction.

The cool thing about that is federal agencies are required to replace their vehicles every set amount of years or mileage which ever comes first. Some of those things are in great condition and not beat on, required maintenance and such.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Yeah I would just need to take out a loan cause thers no way I'm getting rid of my car. But when I do.. the system in that motherufkcer
Forrrrreal. Lol SPACE FOR DAYS

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Forrrrreal. Lol SPACE FOR DAYS

Pretty much exactly why I'm looking into the Tahoes. I just hope gas prices don't skyrocket again over the next couple of years or I have to be looking elsewhere. I had to smh when we picked up a friend of ours and couldn't fit a suitcase AND a stroller in the trunk with my little 10" box. We literally had to put the stroller on the floorboards under the car seats to make it back from the airport that day.

04murdalanche
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Pretty much exactly why I'm looking into the Tahoes. I just hope gas prices don't skyrocket again over the next couple of years or I have to be looking elsewhere. I had to smh when we picked up a friend of ours and couldn't fit a suitcase AND a stroller in the trunk with my little 10" box. We literally had to put the stroller on the floorboards under the car seats to make it back from the airport that day.

Dude in my single cab with my box between the seats I have NO room..

neo_styles
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Dude in my single cab with my box between the seats I have NO room..

*****, man. Couldn't imagine trying to handle that with two kids, though. Only have one atm which is why I can get away with it, but that visit was an eye-opener. Definitely going to have to upsize in a couple years. Figure the Tahoe's about as big as I want to go.

03F150MrSBF
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
@04murdalanche you should start working on that f150 dash :wave:

Meet me today. No more putting it off lol. I'm going to txt you in a bit.

03F150MrSBF
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Ah whatever tag your it. Somebody tag Jeff for me

hill115side
03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Where did you get the 30 pin for $10?