PDA

View Full Version : 4th order sub placement

TheycallmeJT
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Trying to design a 4th for my buddies lancer. And one of the designs I have, the subs would be in a down fire position. Question is. Does it/how doesit effect the eenclosure or subs weather the motor is in the sealed portion or in the ported portion of the enclosure. With them being down fire my one concern is as heavy as they are to break free from the baffles and basically get destroyed. Its gunna be 2 12" atomic apx on 2 audioque 2200's. In a 09 lancer

Chriszle
01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
A proper 4th order for 2 12s is going to be hard to fit in that small of a trunk imo. Good luck though.

DB-Audio
01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Agreed normal box would be more affective but talk to galacticmonkey I know he does a lot of 4th orders I maybe doing one soon myself with a single 10

TheycallmeJT
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Agreed normal box would be more affective but talk to galacticmonkey I know he does a lot of 4th orders I maybe doing one soon myself with a single 10
I may end up with a normal box in the end. Stupid lancers n the way their trunks are designed lol

Beatin'
01-24-2013, 12:49 AM
I always thought that having one sub is a small sealed box to give a higher qtc, and another sub next to it in 4th order tuned low, would be a sick idea.

Having only one sub in 4th order instead of two should save space.

frogcase2002
01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
I would just get your Max dimensions and get one designed to fit and build it inside the trunk. Probably wont be able to make one able to slide in.

TheycallmeJT
01-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I would just get your Max dimensions and get one designed to fit and build it inside the trunk. Probably wont be able to make one able to slide in.
Oh yea it'll be built inside. The angles of that trunk make it almost impossible to slide anything in

frogcase2002
01-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Oh yea it'll be built inside. The angles of that trunk make it almost impossible to slide anything in

Same problem I have always had. Last few boxes iv had to build inside.. you should be fine if your going to build it inside the trunk... have you ever done that?

I would have the motor in the ported side. That way they can stay more cool and could smell coil if your pushing them to hard

TheycallmeJT
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Same problem I have always had. Last few boxes iv had to build inside.. you should be fine if your going to build it inside the trunk... have you ever done that?

I would have the motor in the ported side. That way they can stay more cool and could smell coil if your pushing them to hard
Nope itll be my first time. A learning experience lol but I've got a good idea of how. Any tips greatly appreciated

T.I.K.
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Nope itll be my first time. A learning experience lol but I've got a good idea of how. Any tips greatly appreciated
Well, here's one. Mount your subs with the motors exposed in the ported box so if you do start burning coil, you'll smell it.

frogcase2002
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Look up the kregg jig. Its about the best tool I have purchased for box making.. you make pocket holes from the inside of the box and you will be able to put it together from the inside of the box so you can make the box exactly the size of the trunk if you need to.... I used to put my boxes together outside the car and made it a little smaller than the trunk so I could fit a tiny screwdriver inbetween the box and trunk and slowly screw it back together..and it would take so freakin long and was such a bi*ch to do.

Using this makes it crazy easy. You couldn't even imagine how much of a difference it makes and its only about 20 bucks at like homedepot or lows