PDA

View Full Version : x994 dead?

av83
01-22-2013, 11:51 PM
My x994 will not read cd's, recognize an mp3 player, or recieve BT. It will only play the radio. I don't know why.

Anyone have a clue? It just started doing this today, out of the blue.

murph
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Did you check your fuses?

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
i had to send my old x595 back it wouldnt recognize my ipod, never tried cds, but i ended up askin the audio shop i i could pay the difference and get the x996..

av83
01-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Did you check your fuses?

not a fuse. It still turns on, and attempts to read data. but I checked it anyways, lol.

av83
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
i had to send my old x595 back it wouldnt recognize my ipod, never tried cds, but i ended up askin the audio shop i i could pay the difference and get the x996..

I bought it used, off eBay. but it's worked flawlessly for six+ months.

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
love excelon decks the x996 is the best single din ever made.. if your foreced to get a new one i highly recommend.. the x996

murph
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
It could have possibly over heated. This is why I don't buy used off ebay.

murph
01-23-2013, 12:12 AM
love excelon decks the x996 is the best single din ever made.. if your foreced to get a new one i highly recommend.. the x996

That is a far fetched statement. They are good but, not the best single din ever made. Literally they have done almost nothing to the x99x series for 3 years now.

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
they havent made a new one from excelon since the x996, other than flip outs.. and no its not far fetched it was in an article somewhere, they put 3 hu's one form alpine the other from pioneer that were also top dollar, and the kenwood came out on top.. they were the top three single din head units of last year i believe

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
please tell me one thing you could add to the x996 and i'll mention it to kenwood.. cause its already got more features than 99% of audio enthusiasts will ever use..

RicksI30
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
please tell me one thing you could add to the x996 and i'll mention it to kenwood.. cause its already got more features than 99% of audio enthusiasts will ever use..

Active crossovers???

murph
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM
they havent made a new one from excelon since the x996, other than flip outs.. and no its not far fetched it was in an article somewhere, they put 3 hu's one form alpine the other from pioneer that were also top dollar, and the kenwood came out on top.. they were the top three single din head units of last year i believe

You are sooooooooooo wrong. They did the test with all the head units flat eq wise. The DEH-80PRS is made to be ran active with eq setup. The X99x series is not better. Then you have the DEX-P99RS

murph
01-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Here is the review by the coke head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZNBuDSGqg

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:23 AM
already has it... im telling ya its amazing, changin the slopes, crossovers, Q factors, crazy **** you would never do.. hell i had to look a lot of **** up just to figure it out, its the easiest manueverable headunit.. you can blaze through your ipods music or settings, thats 1 of the FEW!! yes i said FEW!! reasons why it was better, its was a close pick between the alpine and the excelon.. not to mention its just a **** clean looking headunit..

RicksI30
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Yeah that review isn't worth a **** thing.

cfox10
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM

The best?

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
dude idgaf what your opionion is, and sorry im not willing to pay 1200 for some ****** single din pioneer, i could run the top of the line kenwood excelon flip out with all the bells and whistles for that price.. you could have the excelon and the best equalizer ever for that. lol

murph
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
already has it... im telling ya its amazing, changin the slopes, crossovers, Q factors, crazy **** you would never do.. hell i had to look a lot of **** up just to figure it out, its the easiest manueverable headunit.. you can blaze through your ipods music or settings, thats 1 of the FEW!! yes i said FEW!! reasons why it was better, its was a close pick between the alpine and the excelon.. not to mention its just a **** clean looking headunit..

Please stop posting... you do not have the proper knowledge to say what you are saying. All of the slopes and crossover are highly important. Do you know what running active means because I think you don't. The best SQ setup's in the world are ran actively.

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
and no that ***** did do a review but thats not the one i wsa talking about... why am i even arguing with some computer nerd..

zako
01-23-2013, 12:32 AM
love excelon decks the x996 is the best single din ever made..

I would beg to differ. The entire line X993 though X996 are made very much the same. The only differences are in the features. The X993 though X995 have had poor reliability. I see no reason to believe the X996 is any better. It's just, the X996 is still relatively new and so there aren't a lot of users who have had these for longer than a year. I personally had an X994, After 18 months of use the face plate stopped working. The X996 face plate looks exactly the same to me. This is a great deck for people who like swapping them every other year.

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
im running an active setup in my car when my door panels are done???

RicksI30
01-23-2013, 12:34 AM
I own a 996 and I can assure you that it isn't the best. I DO prefer the sound of the 996 over my 880prs but the tuning capabilities just hold it back. If it had 3 way active capabilities it would be a contender with (and probably better than) the 80prs which also isn't the best single din out.

murph
01-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry av83 ; for blowing up your thread. Good luck and I hope someone who knows what's up will chime in.

cfox10
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
I like my 80prs and I didn't pay 1200 for it... lol

I did however enjoy my old school excelon x911. The 80prs might not be the best out, but I think it's a bit better than the new excelons.

RicksI30
01-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Did you reset the head unit av83 ; ?

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
when i said "crazy **** you would never do" i wasnt refering to crossovers or slopes.. i was referring to 99% of the car audio people that just want a decent headunit that will do what they need it to do.. im no nuthugger, i try to look at all sides evenly, but the pioneer you refered to is MADE to be ran active with an amp.. in my city you find RARELY anyone who actually runs a compnent system with an amp, and never have i seen anybody with an active setup, sorry for the BEST HEAD UNIT EVER MADE comment, but it doesnt need an amp, it wasnt specifically made to run active. nor is it kenwoods top of the line deck. its got everything i need and for the PRICE it cant be beat BY FAR, when you can control everything you need straight from the headunit, its good enough for me.. and ZAKO sorry you beg to differ but unless youve owned one you dont know... ive owned the x994 and 5, and also their lower x59x and x49x, this is their largest leap in my opinion, although they did have a few bugs in the ones before like stated in the original posters comments and mine shortly after, i havent had any problems with mine.. any companies headunits arent going to get much better each year they will only add new bells and whistles just like a car manufacturer... rarely do they just come out with a whole new design.. SORRY FOR THE BIASED COMMENTS.. ITS ALL OPINIONS!!

murph
01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
I like my 80prs and I didn't pay 1200 for it... lol

I did however enjoy my old school excelon x911. The 80prs might not be the best out, but I think it's a bit better than the new excelons.

I also said the DEX-P99RS which is 1200 bucks... It is such a beautiful head unit.

av83
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Sorry av83 ; for blowing up your thread. Good luck and I hope someone who knows what's up will chime in.

omfg it is ooooooookaaaaaayy.

cuz this thread brought the lulzies!

Your first suggestion actually saved the day. I posted too quickly. The fuse was fine.... but pulling it reset the unit. And THAT fixed it, lol. Back to normal. And the copy of Bach I DL'd didn't work, so I did a couple other tracks which are uploading to youtube via my s3 right now.. I'll buy some Bach from itunes, amazon, or w/e tomorrow morning when I get off work, and use it.

murph
01-23-2013, 12:51 AM
when i said "crazy **** you would never do" i wasnt refering to crossovers or slopes.. i was referring to 99% of the car audio people that just want a decent headunit that will do what they need it to do.. im no nuthugger, i try to look at all sides evenly, but the pioneer you refered to is MADE to be ran active with an amp.. in my city you find RARELY anyone who actually runs a compnent system with an amp, and never have i seen anybody with an active setup, sorry for the BEST HEAD UNIT EVER MADE comment, but it doesnt need an amp, it wasnt specifically made to run active. nor is it kenwoods top of the line deck. its got everything i need and for the PRICE it cant be beat BY FAR, when you can control everything you need straight from the headunit, its good enough for me.. and ZAKO sorry you beg to differ but unless youve owned one you dont know... ive owned the x994 and 5, and also their lower x59x and x49x, this is their largest leap in my opinion, although they did have a few bugs in the ones before like stated in the original posters comments and mine shortly after, i havent had any problems with mine.. any companies headunits arent going to get much better each year they will only add new bells and whistles just like a car manufacturer... rarely do they just come out with a whole new design.. SORRY FOR THE BIASED COMMENTS.. ITS ALL OPINIONS!!

You do realize other than adding more eq bands there is no audible difference between the x994,5,6.

av83
01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Did you reset the head unit av83 ; ?

yep, lol... didn't see this til now.

cfox10
01-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I also said the DEX-P99RS which is 1200 bucks... It is such a beautiful head unit.

Yeah, I was just pointing out... you don't have to spend 1200 to best the new excelons. I agree that the DEX-P99RS looks amazing. I'm on a college student budget so the 80prs is the best I could afford.

When I got it, I didn't read anything about it and just hooked up the bluetooth mic to the steering remote plugin and it started tweaking out, thought I had a faulty unit. I remembered I had done the same thing with a past unit thinking it was aux... unplugged and it worked beautifully.

murph
01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
omfg it is ooooooookaaaaaayy.

cuz this thread brought the lulzies!

Your first suggestion actually saved the day. I posted too quickly. The fuse was fine.... but pulling it reset the unit. And THAT fixed it, lol. Back to normal. And the copy of Bach I DL'd didn't work, so I did a couple other tracks which are uploading to youtube via my s3 right now.. I'll buy some Bach from itunes, amazon, or w/e tomorrow morning when I get off work, and use it.

Glad you got it to work. You could probably find a copy at mp3skull.

RicksI30
01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
yep, lol... didn't see this til now.

Glad it was an easy fix!

Wanacustomx
01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
You do realize other than adding more eq bands there is no audible difference between the x994,5,6. dude idc.. just stfu.. really... get a ******* life.. like i said i apologized for the "best headunit ever made" comment so ignorant is a word that doesnt belong near my name.. if i was ignorant i wouldnt listen to a fuckin word anybody says to me on here, yet i ask for information and knowledge.. and you do nothing but talk **** to people over desk that you dont even know

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

dude fixed his headunit there is no need for this thread anymore. lol

myjaja
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
dude idc.. just stfu.. really... get a ******* life.. like i said i apologized for the "best headunit ever made" comment so ignorant is a word that doesnt belong near my name.. if i was ignorant i wouldnt listen to a fuckin word anybody says to me on here, yet i ask for information and knowledge.. and you do nothing but talk **** to people over desk that you dont even know

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

dude fixed his headunit there is no need for this thread anymore. lol

What do you think of the funky pups? I heard theyre really good. Kept hearing stories of them being so loud, that they caused earthquakes.

murph
01-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I was just pointing out... you don't have to spend 1200 to best the new excelons. I agree that the DEX-P99RS looks amazing. I'm on a college student budget so the 80prs is the best I could afford.

When I got it, I didn't read anything about it and just hooked up the bluetooth mic to the steering remote plugin and it started tweaking out, thought I had a faulty unit. I remembered I had done the same thing with a past unit thinking it was aux... unplugged and it worked beautifully.

I can't afford it either but one day...

av83
01-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Glad you got it to work. You could probably find a copy at mp3skull.

Lol, that's where I got it.

slam
01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
I stopped buying kenwood after my 2nd hu... jusss saying

whitedragon551
01-23-2013, 04:09 AM

Thats exactly what going active is for and exactly what people do with it. Alpine and Pioneer > Kenwood's outdated headunits.

whitedragon551
01-23-2013, 04:10 AM
dude idgaf what your opionion is, and sorry im not willing to pay 1200 for some ****** single din pioneer, i could run the top of the line kenwood excelon flip out with all the bells and whistles for that price.. you could have the excelon and the best equalizer ever for that. lol

Actually you cant. Last time I looked Kenwoods top of the line double din wasnt active capable.

05fronty
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
wow