PDA

View Full Version : Is this setup too much power?

bradfordp2612
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Well I was putting my earthquake comps in and realized one was blown so I was wondering if I could run my hifonics Zeus zxi6408 on the 4 Kicker DS 60's that were already in the truck.

The amps specs say that it can do 85 watts RMS x 4 on at 4 ohms. The coaxial do 100 watts a pair or 50 watts each at 4 ohms.

Can I run this setup with my gains turned down? Or would it be too much overkill. If it would be possible it would only be temporary until I come across some good components.

wickedwitt
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
You can always run a bit large of an amp with the gains turned down. Great way to keep equipment for long periods of time.:cool:

SomeguyinPDX
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
DO IT! There are several advantages to running your speakers on an oversized amp. First of all your amp will not be having the POO ran out of it, this will increase it's lifespan considerably as mentioned by WickedWitt. Amp manufactures measure distortion at rated power, so you should be getting very clean power by running less than rated. With more power you will not have to use loudness or boost the bass/trebble as if you were way underpowered (lots of Headroom). And if you change setups in the future you have more options. One thing my competition SQ buddys do is run twice the power needed to each speaker then you only run your amps 1/2 as hard.

Tenacious
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
See how you like it with the gain turned down, and of you want more you can always upgrade your speakers

bradfordp2612
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Well I have an avh 3100 and I only have the audio outs for front left, frot right, sw left, sw right, vid in, vid out and a brown rca output.

I'm also using the PAC OS-4 with non Bose if that matters.

bumpasauras
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
I always put a big amp on my highs and just keep my gains low. I have a Phoenix gold ti500.4 on 4 kappas