PDA

View Full Version : Components im considering. Thoughts?

calebkhill
01-20-2013, 09:56 PM
A few sets of components im considering. Any thoughts? Which would you choose out of them? Or if each could be rated 1-10 on quality and performance.

EDIT: Also with loudness in consideration. I like alot of volume. And, if any other components you know of in 300-450 price range that could out do these listed.

PHD -FB 6.1 Kit Pro
PHD - Speakers - Model FB 6.1 KIT PRO FIRENZE - (http://www.phd.it/welcome_to/speakers/fb61pro_kit.asp)

CDT CL 62
cdtstore.com/cl_series/cl62.htm

Focal Access 165 A3
Focal Access 165 A3 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Speaker Kit:Amazon:Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q9EKV4?qid=1357988907&sr=8-10)

Hertz HSK 165 6.5"
Hertz HSK 165 6.5" 2-way Hi-Energy Component Speaker System HSK165:Amazon:Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001KOYXGC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357886903&sr=8-3&pi=SL75)

trumpet
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
CDT's CL line is entry level. I really enjoyed my CL-62Pro set when I first tried CDT Audio, but compared to the other options they're not in the same league. You'd have to put HD-62 in place of CL-62 for a fair comparison, in which case each set will sound a bit different if you could audition them in the same vehicle. They'd all make a fine choice for a sound quality system. CDT has an extended warranty program to cover manufacturing defects for 10 years.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Well I may be slightly biased lol

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I personally do not care for Hertz or Focals lower lines though...

calebkhill
01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Well I may be slightly biased lol

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I personally do not care for Hertz or Focals lower lines though...

Are those i listed the lower lines?

neo_styles
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
HSK isn't the lowest of Hertz' offerings, that'd be the ESK, but yeah. Wouldn't go Hertz unless you can afford the Mille

I second the statement on CDT. If you're going with CDT, go HD, not ES.

For Focal, don't bother unless you can step up to the IS, PS, or K2 series

That pretty much leaves PHD and it sounds like those'll be smooth offerings. Just keep in mind there's cost involved.

You could always go with the MS comps ;)

Below20hzonly
01-20-2013, 10:52 PM
image dynamics xs comps in that price range.

RicksI30
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM
I like my Alpine Spx 17pro's a lot.

Timmy13091
01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
HSK isn't the lowest of Hertz' offerings, that'd be the ESK, but yeah. Wouldn't go Hertz unless you can afford the Mille

I second the statement on CDT. If you're going with CDT, go HD, not ES.

For Focal, don't bother unless you can step up to the IS, PS, or K2 series

That pretty much leaves PHD and it sounds like those'll be smooth offerings. Just keep in mind there's cost involved.

You could always go with the MS comps ;)

Don't go es wtf ?? That's the good stuff lmao

UnderFire
01-20-2013, 11:23 PM
The Focal Polyglass 165V30's would definitely be my choice in that price range ATM. The access's I've heard never had the same clarity and roundness Polyglass line.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Are those i listed the lower lines?

Ya and like Neo said I wouldn't go with them unless Utopias or Mille... But the FB pro series was liked better with a direct drop in swap with Utopias in one review...

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Don't go es wtf ?? That's the good stuff lmao

Good call. Meant the CL

Bettr n' Revrse
01-21-2013, 12:33 AM
The K2's sound good too

murph
01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
That is a huge price range you just put up there. The PHD's are a lot more than the rest but, that's what you get from Italian speakers.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
That is a huge price range you just put up there. The PHD's are a lot more than the rest but, that's what you get from Italian speakers.

but the higher end comps are 500+

gckless
01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Are you going passive or active? If active, do not rule out piecing a 2-way set together. So many more options, and a budget of $400 can get you some good drivers. It's what I'm doing right now.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Are you going passive or active? If active, do not rule out piecing a 2-way set together. So many more options, and a budget of $400 can get you some good drivers. It's what I'm doing right now.

Dude, I'm telling you...those GB planars are calling your name...

gckless
01-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Dude, I'm telling you...those GB planars are calling your name...

Link? Kinda ruled planars out, just read they aren't very tolerant all around. I'm looking for new mids too I think, the CDT HD-62CF's I have won't like the power I will want to give them at how low I want to cross them. Looking at Exodus Anarchy's possibly. I need to start a thread soon, I have so many questions and uncertainties :crap:

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Bohlender Graebener Neo3W Planar Tweeter w/Back Cup 264-730 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-730)
Bohlender Graebener Neo8 Planar Transducer 264-712 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-712)

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 01:27 AM

Active of course. I plan on doin 2 tweets, 2 4", and 2 6.5", yweets and mids in a pillar, but thats down the road. Im just trying to find a 2 way set right now.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Bohlender Graebener Neo3W Planar Tweeter w/Back Cup 264-730 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-730)
Bohlender Graebener Neo8 Planar Transducer 264-712 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-712)

Put those in the a-pillar and some 6-8" midbass in the doors and you'll be good to go

Timmy13091
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Good call. Meant the CL

Phew ... Lol I was like oh no he di int

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Phew ... Lol I was like oh no he di int

Lol I've been brain farting left and right today. Kinda distracted ever since I found a private tracker for getting all my FLAC stuffs downloaded

Timmy13091
01-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Lol I've been brain farting left and right today. Kinda distracted ever since I found a private tracker for getting all my FLAC stuffs downloaded

Phew I've been drinking ... You lost me lmao

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Phew I've been drinking ... You lost me lmao

Are you ever not? Oh yeah, when you're at work. Run out of that Natty yet?

Btw, private tracker = invite only torrent source

gckless
01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter 275-085 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-085&AID=1457483&PID=3696791&SID=skim1010X497171X34055d755f20a65072794bda6fd2f6 3d)

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter 275-085 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-085&AID=1457483&PID=3696791&SID=skim1010X497171X34055d755f20a65072794bda6fd2f6 3d)

Should be good with either or. The GBs were what that guy on DIYMA used in his build log.

gckless
01-21-2013, 01:47 AM
So many **** choices!

OP, is there a limiting factor why you aren't just going 3-way now?

Bettr n' Revrse
01-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Active of course. I plan on doin 2 tweets, 2 4", and 2 6.5", yweets and mids in a pillar, but thats down the road. Im just trying to find a 2 way set right now.

Maybe able to get you a 3 way set in your current price range....

gckless
01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Should be good with either or. The GBs were what that guy on DIYMA used in his build log.

You got a link to the build log?

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 02:06 AM
dude, I'd have to search. I'll see what i can do

Timmy13091
01-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Are you ever not? Oh yeah, when you're at work. Run out of that Natty yet?

Btw, private tracker = invite only torrent source

What

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 02:09 AM
Found it. Grab some popcorn because it's LONG. But it's such a smexy build.

2010 Fusion SQ Installation Thread - DIYMA Car Audio Forum (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/69600-2010-fusion-sq-installation-thread.html)

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

What

Just means there's all sorts of good stuff and it downloads super fast.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
So many **** choices!

OP, is there a limiting factor why you aren't just going 3-way now?

Yea budget.... The comp sets im looking at are already high priced, the 3 way sets are even higher.... And theres still alot I have to do before I do a 3 way (deadning, big 3, and making the a pillars, not to mention i just ordered the amp to power them along with an oscope). But i do plan on going 3 way. In my logic seems you can get the most out of each speaker limiting the frequencies.. I was think bp 6.5s 60hz-1.5, 4" bp 1.5-3.5, tweets 3.5 ---. These probably arent the best xover points but maybe someone knows better xover points...

And as for the planars... They seem a littl fubky to me lol. I do some research on them though check em out.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Yea budget.... The comp sets im looking at are already high priced, the 3 way sets are even higher.... And theres still alot I have to do before I do a 3 way (deadning, big 3, and making the a pillars, not to mention i just ordered the amp to power them along with an oscope). But i do plan on going 3 way. In my logic seems you can get the most out of each speaker limiting the frequencies.. I was think bp 6.5s 60hz-1.5, 4" bp 1.5-3.5, tweets 3.5 ---. These probably arent the best xover points but maybe someone knows better xover points...

And as for the planars... They seem a littl fubky to me lol. I do some research on them though check em out.

Planars have been around for a long time, but mainly in HT setups. Think of Martin Logan (might have seen them at Best Buy). Whole idea is you've got a transducer capable of a very wide frequency range without having to make huge baffles in your doors. Also, they're sealed in the rear, so you don't have to worry so much about deadening the bejeezus out of the panel it's mounted in since there's no back waves to worry about. Finally, those who've installed them in the car systems have described the spatialization as AMAZING. Everything's airy and detailed, midrange is phenomenal, and they really don't require gobs of power. And that's power you could redirect to midbasses in the door to give you more up-front impact for that 2x4 to the chest kinda bass.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Planars have been around for a long time, but mainly in HT setups. Think of Martin Logan (might have seen them at Best Buy). Whole idea is you've got a transducer capable of a very wide frequency range without having to make huge baffles in your doors. Also, they're sealed in the rear, so you don't have to worry so much about deadening the bejeezus out of the panel it's mounted in since there's no back waves to worry about. Finally, those who've installed them in the car systems have described the spatialization as AMAZING. Everything's airy and detailed, midrange is phenomenal, and they really don't require gobs of power. And that's power you could redirect to midbasses in the door to give you more up-front impact for that 2x4 to the chest kinda bass.

Wow really?
And what do you mean by HT.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Wow really?
And what do you mean by HT.

HT = Home theater

Bettr n' Revrse
01-21-2013, 02:36 AM

Well if you decide to get a 3 way set now You could always jut hold off on putting the 4" in until later...

gckless
01-21-2013, 02:38 AM

The Neo3's are sealed, the Neo8's aren't. OP, the factors you described aren't reason enough to warrant spending extra money now on a 2-way system when you could have half that stuff for the 3-way system the price of the 2-way. If you had stuff to install now and just wanted to do a temp I would say go for it, but I would not recommend buying a temp setup for the price you are looking at. You can have drivers for a 3 way for that price.

The 8's look good, higher power handling and wider usable range, but not sure how'd they do in a 2-way system for me. Not sure the Neo3's would get as loud as I'd like them to. Might just run the Neo8's and live with the upper-end extension? Also, that build log is awesome.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 02:42 AM
The Neo3's are sealed, the Neo8's aren't. OP, the factors you described aren't reason enough to warrant spending extra money now on a 2-way system when you could have half that stuff for the 3-way system the price of the 2-way. If you had stuff to install now and just wanted to do a temp I would say go for it, but I would not recommend buying a temp setup for the price you are looking at. You can have drivers for a 3 way for that price.

The 8's look good, higher power handling and wider usable range, but not sure how'd they do in a 2-way system for me. Not sure the Neo3's would get as loud as I'd like them to. Might just run the Neo8's and live with the upper-end extension? Also, that build log is awesome.

You'd need 3-way. The Neo8s don't dig low enough since they're only spec'd down to 500Hz. You'd need a dedicated midbass to fill that up.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

PM me if I can help you more, @gckless. Gotta go hit the sack now. Wife is calling...

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 02:57 AM

Yea, but I dont want to step down the drivers I get just to get the big3 and deadening done. That deadening runs some money, i gotta do both door panels and the trunk.
And i was gonna ask you, you mentioned earlier your already running the cdt hd62cf's?
Whats the big difference between the cl62, hd62cf, and hd62. All three are capable of 150+rms right? Explain the differences to me someone..

gckless
01-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Yea, but I dont want to step down the drivers I get just to get the big3 and deadening done. That deadening runs some money, i gotta do both door panels and the trunk.
And i was gonna ask you, you mentioned earlier your already running the cdt hd62cf's?
Whats the big difference between the cl62, hd62cf, and hd62. All three are capable of 150+rms right? Explain the differences to me someone..

With your $450 budget you can have drivers for a 3-way no problem. Sure, it will take a little bit of waiting and saving for the other things you need, but personally I would rather do it that way than buy stuff now and then start from scratch in a couple months. Might have had the money and all equipment by the time you decided you wanted to start to upgrade in a little bit.

I am not running the CDT's now. I have the set, was literally about 2 days from installing them and found out I needed to relocate, which involved selling the car, so I never installed. Just on paper, the CL is a lower end set. I believe lower end crossovers, tweeters, and woofer all around. The regular HD-62's vs. the CF, the CF set has a carbon fiber woofer cone, hence the "CF", are a slim design, and are a little less sensitive and have other T/S differences. The regular set comes with a different tweeter and is $50 MSRP more than the CF set. Both HD-62's are rated for 180RMS, at like 120Hz. I have been told that is per side.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 03:24 AM
With your $450 budget you can have drivers for a 3-way no problem. Sure, it will take a little bit of waiting and saving for the other things you need, but personally I would rather do it that way than buy stuff now and then start from scratch in a couple months. Might have had the money and all equipment by the time you decided you wanted to start to upgrade in a little bit.

I am not running the CDT's now. I have the set, was literally about 2 days from installing them and found out I needed to relocate, which involved selling the car, so I never installed. Just on paper, the CL is a lower end set. I believe lower end crossovers, tweeters, and woofer all around. The regular HD-62's vs. the CF, the CF set has a carbon fiber woofer cone, hence the "CF", are a slim design, and are a little less sensitive and have other T/S differences. The regular set comes with a different tweeter and is $50 MSRP more than the CF set. Both HD-62's are rated for 180RMS, at like 120Hz. I have been told that is per side.

Are you gonna use those CFs in the setup your trying to do?
And what do you mean T/S.
And well, I have to do the big 3 asap. Im getting dimming with my current setup already, adding bigger drivers from currrently 100rms to 150rm, not to mention if i was to add 4" mids, thats alot of extra draw.
And I figure I go ahead and invest in a very good 2 way and do the big3 at the same time, be satisfied and save until I can do the deadener and get the 4".
I mean, the 3 way sets in the same lines are 500-700............
Get what im saying. I imagine the deadener for the panels and trunk is gonna be up there...
Maybe my thinkin is off. Theres alot to think about anyway lol.

gckless
01-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Are you gonna use those CFs in the setup your trying to do?
And what do you mean T/S.
And well, I have to do the big 3 asap. Im getting dimming with my current setup already, adding bigger drivers from currrently 100rms to 150rm, not to mention if i was to add 4" mids, thats alot of extra draw.
And I figure I go ahead and invest in a very good 2 way and do the big3 at the same time, be satisfied and save until I can do the deadener and get the 4".
I mean, the 3 way sets in the same lines are 500-700............
Get what im saying. I imagine the deadener for the panels and trunk is gonna be up there...

No, I'm looking into different drivers now. T/S parameters, all the specs that are on the drivers. You do understand that draw (which can result in dimming) is derived from your amps and their ratings right? You could have 30 mids in your car and draw less than one mid. And those are packaged 3-way sets. You can piece a set together of different drivers for $450 no problem.

What I am saying and recommending is save your money for better things. Run stock until you can do what you really want to do. IMO no reason to spend half of your 3-way goal on a temp 2-way install.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 03:40 AM
No, I'm looking into different drivers now. T/S parameters, all the specs that are on the drivers. You do understand that draw (which can result in dimming) is derived from your amps and their ratings right? You could have 30 mids in your car and draw less than one mid. And those are packaged 3-way sets. You can piece a set together of different drivers for $450 no problem.

What I am saying and recommending is save your money for better things. Run stock until you can do what you really want to do. IMO no reason to spend half of your 3-way goal on a temp 2-way install.

O, what sets have you thought about doing?
And well, that wouldnt be half. Really, i guess im prioritizing things at this point. Really id spend 600 or more on a 3 way, but to me getting everything properly deadened and the big3 is more important, idk.... So im willing to put the mids on hold so i can do that. And when i do get the mids, ill invest in those too haha.
Hope im making sense idk lol.

Edit: and im running 3 amps right now

gckless
01-21-2013, 03:47 AM
O, what sets have you thought about doing?
And well, that wouldnt be half. Really, i guess im prioritizing things at this point. Really id spend 600 or more on a 3 way, but to me getting everything properly deadened and the big3 is more important, idk.... So im willing to put the mids on hold so i can do that. And when i do get the mids, ill invest in those too haha.
Hope im making sense idk lol.

Edit: and im running 3 amps right now

I'm very largely undecided on mids or tweeters at this point. Looking at Exodus Anarchy, and really anything you can get on partexpress or madisound. I don't know enough about the different drivers yet. Gonna take a lot of reading and questions.

Probably get the big 3 done, buy some deadener. Read about what it takes to really do a good install of your front stage, like sealing doors, kick panels, positioning and aiming of a 3-way system, crossover points and slopes. Know what you're doing before you do it. A 3-way active system can be a huge headache if you try to figure things out after you do it.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm very largely undecided on mids or tweeters at this point. Looking at Exodus Anarchy, and really anything you can get on partexpress or madisound. I don't know enough about the different drivers yet. Gonna take a lot of reading and questions.

Probably get the big 3 done, buy some deadener. Read about what it takes to really do a good install of your front stage, like sealing doors, kick panels, positioning and aiming of a 3-way system, crossover points and slopes. Know what you're doing before you do it. A 3-way active system can be a huge headache if you try to figure things out after you do it.

Believe me, ive taken all this into consideration. Its already a headache and i havnt even started lol. Its been fun up to this point though for sure. Hopefully i can decide on these drivers though....

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Believe me, ive taken all this into consideration. Its already a headache and i havnt even started lol. Its been fun up to this point though for sure. Hopefully i can decide on these drivers though....

Anything that's been recommended to you in this forum will be an excellent choice. Don't worry so much about which one is the best as they all have slightly different things to offer. TBH, I'd say go with the PHD as I've never seen people go wrong with Italian sound (look at Mosconi and Steg, for example). Plus you'll have an advantage of getting good resale value as they really won't depreciate as long as you keep them in good condition.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Seeing review after review of Focal being lively. Which can be good, but makes me think itll lead to harshness and a ton of eq'ing... Might steer away of focal. Just got done looking up the ps165 and i dont know. Bright is good but too bright is bad. Want something more on the deeper/flatter side of things.
And these are only 80rms. The phd's are 150, that means louder right.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Seeing review after review of Focal being lively. Which can be good, but makes me think itll lead to harshness and a ton of eq'ing... Might steer away of focal. Just got done looking up the ps165 and i dont know. Bright is good but too bright is bad. Want something more on the deeper/flatter side of things.
And these are only 80rms. The phd's are 150, that means louder right.

Forget about power ratings when you're looking at SQ comps; they won't tell you much of anything regarding how they sound. For example, look on CDT's website for how they rate their power on the HD series comps. Notice the @120Hz addition to that rating? Imagine what they can actually do at a more realistic 100 or even 80Hz.

That being said, Focal's always been known as being "lively," which to me is just a fancy way of saying shrill and bright. You're either going to have to go active and lift the crossover point on the tweeter or EQ the living hell out of them to remove that if the install location isn't ideal.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Ya and like Neo said I wouldn't go with them unless Utopias or Mille... But the FB pro series was liked better with a direct drop in swap with Utopias in one review...

Got a link?

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
PHD - Speakers - Model FB 6.1 KIT PRO FIRENZE - (http://www.phd.it/welcome_to/speakers/fb61pro_kit.asp)

Bettr n' Revrse
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Got a link?

Ill have to find it again...

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Why? Whats wrong with the hsks? And the price of those milles are............ neo_styles; We were talking about the review :)

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Gotcha. I'm too distracted right now. Have a bout 80 FLAC discography torrents I'm converting over to 320 and tagging ATM

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Gotcha. I'm too distracted right now. Have a bout 80 FLAC discography torrents I'm converting over to 320 and tagging ATM

Lol you are distracted because you missed the Q i asked you.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Lol you are distracted because you missed the Q i asked you.

Yep, missed that too. The HSKs are good comps but pale in comparison to the Milles. Here's the huge draw with Hertz, though...if those doors aren't deadened properly, they're going to sound anemic as ****. The other choices I provided are a little more forgiving of less-than-perfect installation.

calebkhill
01-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Yep, missed that too. The HSKs are good comps but pale in comparison to the Milles. Here's the huge draw with Hertz, though...if those doors aren't deadened properly, they're going to sound anemic as ****. The other choices I provided are a little more forgiving of less-than-perfect installation.

Yea they probably arent as good as milles of course. But im going to have everything deadened and sealed. With that being the case a set of hsks will probably sound great. Cant find a current review on them though, i can only find ones from a year+ ago. I imagine they have changed the speaker since.

neo_styles
01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
It's not that they haven't changed them, it's that soooooo many people have reviewed the HSKs that have clout that nobody really cares to do another one. Be VERY careful if you buy Hertz, though, as there's a ton of fakes out there. Unless you're buying Hertz authorized, I wouldn't bother.