PDA

View Full Version : Square port?

PapaGeno21
01-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Trying to figure out something.

I understand aero ports and a lot of people day like 7-9" per foot.

I understand slot ports and average for those is 14-16 per foot.

What I don't get is the square ports that are stuck into the side of the box and are half or more than half external.

I get how to make it and tune it and everything, but what port area do I want? Are they as efficient as Aero's or are they somewhere in between?

Lowflyin
01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
You mean a removable port?

k_schutte
01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think that is still just a slot port. Moving the port outside of the box doesn't change what type of port it is, it would just be an external slot port...

Buck
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Trying to figure out something.

I understand aero ports and a lot of people day like 7-9" per foot.

I understand slot ports and average for those is 14-16 per foot.

What I don't get is the square ports that are stuck into the side of the box and are half or more than half external.

I get how to make it and tune it and everything, but what port area do I want? Are they as efficient as Aero's or are they somewhere in between?

Round ports are more efficient than square/slot ports. I'd say average slot port area is 10-16 in^2 per cube for daily, depending on tuning, power, box size, sub used, goal for the system, etc.

Aero's I've done anywhere from 6-11 in^2, but you can do all the way up to the same amount as slot. You can get away with roughly half the port area with an aero port as you can with a slot, and that's a big reason why a lot of people use them. It saves space. Plus they are easy to install.

Any port inside or outside of the box doesn't change the style of the port, it just changes how much air inside the box it displaces. A lot of external ports are in SPL so tuning can be changed easily, at least from what I've seen.