PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mistake, Speaker Selection

nyankee97
04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I recently replaced all my factory speakers and bought a new HU, unfortunatly I messed up a little bit on speaker selection. My car is a 2001 audi a4, and it has six factory speaker locations: tweeters in the front doors, 4" openings on the bottom of the front doors and 6.5 openings in the rear deck. I put JL coaxils in the front door and I put eclipse 6.5 COMPONENTS in the rear deck, doh! I didn't know better at the time :(

thankfully I have a flexible HU and after doing some playing around with the settings I'm actually pretty happy with the sound. However I want to beef up my front stage now (which is what I should have done in the first place).

I've devised the following options:

1) Get some really good 4" components to put in the front doors that will keep up with 6.5s in the back.

2) Take out the 4" JLs out of the doors and put the tweets from the eclipse components in the doors and leave the 6.5 woofers in the back. (I'm not too confident in this option).

3) This will probably be the best sounding alternative, but the most difficult one to execute. Put the 6.5 components all up front using kick panels, or fiberglassing my door to accomodate the bigger speakers.

I'm leaning toward option 1, cuz that's probably the easiest thing to do. But, I'm open to other suggestions. Oh and if anyone can suggest some 4" components which would accomplish what I'm looking for, that would be great. I have 90 rms available to power the front speakers, and I'd want to keep it below 200 for the speakers.

urwhatueati8god
04-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Go with option three. Like you said, it would be the best sounding alternative and the cheapest as well. BTW, I'm from Flemington, you're like a half an hour away from me!