PDA

View Full Version : New Member, new car, 2005 Acura 3.2 TL Setup

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone, just joined the site and posting up my progress on here as I collect parts. I have an 2005 Acura 3.2 TL I bought last week and I haven't built a nice system in about 10 years so I figured I would do a big one in this one. I ordered the F and R components and they came in today so I'm all car audio "amped" up so to speak. But here is the idea of the build, lemme know what ya'll think and any suggestions would be nice since I haven't done this in a long time I forgot most of what I used to know.

Keeping the factory head deck
F / R Components Rockford Fosgate T2652-s 6.5's (Already got both sets $358 w/ shipping ebay bought them the day I bought my car and decided to build a nice stereo for it)
High/mid Amp RF T600-4
Subs RF T2D212 (Pair)
Low Amp T2500-1bdCP
Yellow Top Optima
Rockford 3sixty.3 Control Module
Rockford 10 Farad unit RFC10HB
190 Amp Alternator

That should be right nice.

Dtrom
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't do the T2 subs IF you plan on buying them new for $400. You can do way better for the price. But it looks like you wanna go all Rockford. Is so, the T2s are fine, just pricey. The rest looks good to me except I'd ditch the capacitor and get a nice 100ah battery for the back. Also is that 190a alternator stock?

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
No not stock I plan on getting a Honda 190 amp alt for it. I work at a honda dealership so i can get good deals on fact parts. Yah, I want to match everything up RF. I had a firebird with a rediculas rockford system in it when i was younger (my last big build) so I really like RF.

dvcevoblack
01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Does you factory head unit is one of those cheap head unit or it has a touchscreen?

cdc351jeferson
01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
No not stock I plan on getting a Honda 190 amp alt for it. I work at a honda dealership so i can get good deals on fact parts. Yah, I want to match everything up RF. I had a firebird with a rediculas rockford system in it when i was younger (my last big build) so I really like RF.

rockford isnt tha great anymore their amps are but priced high their subs are meh i know they were good THEN but not NOW

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
rockford isnt tha great anymore their amps are but priced high their subs are meh i know they were good THEN but not NOW

Thats disconcerning.

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 04:25 PM
No factory head unit is regular old head unit, but it's nice and the way the dash is cut with the knobs i don't wanna replace it because i dont want an ugly install, plus I want it to look factory, no grills showing, deck factory everything else hidden away.

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't do the T2 subs IF you plan on buying them new for $400. You can do way better for the price. But it looks like you wanna go all Rockford. Is so, the T2s are fine, just pricey. The rest looks good to me except I'd ditch the capacitor and get a nice 100ah battery for the back. Also is that 190a alternator stock?

I never went secondary batt, prolly stupid question but why would that be better than the 10 farad? I seriously don't know

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Before I signed the papers on it, sitting on the lot.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/16756_512302972136482_59422014_n.jpg

cdc351jeferson
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I never went secondary batt, prolly stupid question but why would that be better than the 10 farad? I seriously don't know

bassically caps dont work and to ge one to be equal to a batteries capacity you would have to have like 20k farads lol they do more harm then good and wont help your voltage get a good high AH rating AGM battery

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
bassically caps dont work and to ge one to be equal to a batteries capacity you would have to have like 20k farads lol they do more harm then good and wont help your voltage get a good high AH rating AGM battery

See didn't know that. I will go that route then and prolly do a 240-250a Alt instead to make up for the xtra charging power. TNX

cdc351jeferson
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
See didn't know that. I will go that route then and prolly do a 240-250a Alt instead to make up for the xtra charging power. TNX

i run 2 60 ah batts in rear 240 amp alt and a 60 ah batt under the hood running 4krms and i dont have voltage problems if that gives you an idea. just get a good batt under the hood and a big 100ah in the trunk with 190amps youll be fine

rebelfromva
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Pm me your number. Ill add you to the spl spot. It's a group of locals in our area for car audio.

cdc351jeferson
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Pm me your number. Ill add you to the spl spot. It's a group of locals in our area for car audio.

wish i had one of those in austin most people in my area are loners haha

rebelfromva
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Create one.

4bannger
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
I would stick with rf is that's what your about. And I really wouldn't call them overpriced. Compared to kicker, jl, dc audio, or another well known brands. I pick up two rs2d2's for my truck and they surprised the hell out of me for shallow mounts. But then again in running 1000 watts to em. Couldn't beat the price I payed though.

3kwattz
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Here's a question: what ohm load will a 4 channel amp take on with the T2652-s Components the tweeter and woofer wired to a cross over then wired to an amp and i have 2 sets?

04murdalanche
01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
feels like this on my side of dallas as well..

Here's a question: what ohm load will a 4 channel amp take on with the T2652-s Components the tweeter and woofer wired to a cross over then wired to an amp and i have 2 sets?

as long as the woofer is a 4 ohm speaker then it will be at 4 ohms.

man if you need any help with this build PM me i had a 2004 Acura TL A-Spec, i miss it so bad. these are great cars, everything on your equipment list looks great. but I highly reccomend looking into another brand for subs, rockford slacks in that area pretty bad.. youd be much more satisfied with someone like DC< AA, Fi, Sundown, etc.. other than that everything looks great. im tuned in man

TheUnderFighter
01-15-2013, 02:58 AM
I wouldn't bother with Rockford subs or speakers..... nothing special there at all. The amps are great, just way too expensive new. Everything else seems good. Oh, and ditch the cap. Also, I think a 190a alt will be a sufficient start. If it doesn't cost you much more though, then just shell out for the big 250a alt.

GreekBrotha8
01-15-2013, 04:39 AM

I have a Rockford T-1000bdcp and I love it, so much better than my previous hifonics amp. Install sounds sick man. How much can you get that alt for? I have an '04 civic and have been looking around for one.

4bannger
01-15-2013, 06:53 AM

Hate to jump in your thread with my own question. But it's about caps. I was thinking about getting one for my old 1991 toyota pickup with stock alt. I'm running a 1k watts, I will be upgrading the main battery but I was gonna add a cap too. Was thinking about doing a high output alt, I don't even know how to put one in and anything with engines and car besides the basic scares me. I talk to a few car audio places and shops about them putting on in but most won't do it cause the yeah of the truck ( liability bull crap). Could I just use a cap to help keep the power?

cdc351jeferson
01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Hate to jump in your thread with my own question. But it's about caps. I was thinking about getting one for my old 1991 toyota pickup with stock alt. I'm running a 1k watts, I will be upgrading the main battery but I was gonna add a cap too. Was thinking about doing a high output alt, I don't even know how to put one in and anything with engines and car besides the basic scares me. I talk to a few car audio places and shops about them putting on in but most won't do it cause the yeah of the truck ( liability bull crap). Could I just use a cap to help keep the power?

Just get the biggest agm battery up front you can and do the big 3 upgrade 1k isnt to much for stock electrical you should at minimum fit a xs power d3400 up front that would be a good start . If your having voltage issues with those upgrades and 1k your amp isnt set right and your clipping

cdc351jeferson
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
I would stick with rf is that's what your about. And I really wouldn't call them overpriced. Compared to kicker, jl, dc audio, or another well known brands. I pick up two rs2d2's for my truck and they surprised the hell out of me for shallow mounts. But then again in running 1000 watts to em. Couldn't beat the price I payed though.

Yea but better can be had than rockford for same money op talks about paying 400each sub I got my xls for a little nore than that each and they are double the sub of any Rockford

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Rockford ten years ago is not Rockford today. I would stick with the Rockford amps, their amps are still great, but as far as subs, there are much better options for your price range.

I've heard pretty good things about RF components, but I'd rather run different sets, but the trigger is already pulled on that gun.

I would also reconsider buying a capacitor. an extra battery would be a better alternative, especially if you're upgrading your Alt.

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
No factory head unit is regular old head unit, but it's nice and the way the dash is cut with the knobs i don't wanna replace it because i dont want an ugly install, plus I want it to look factory, no grills showing, deck factory everything else hidden away.

No, no, no. That is a terrible idea, sound reproduction on factory HU's is at best, horrible. I would reccomend dropping the cash for a nice Pioneer or Alpine HU.

3kwattz
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Yah I know the sound on the factoy head unit *****, thats why I'm putting in the 3sixty.3, that'll pretty much be the control unit, the radio will just be for putting in cd's and Im gonna rewire the xm input to a usb, also the 3sixty.3 has a bluetooth audio function i can stream into with my droid. The reason i dont wanna tear the head out is because of the way its intergrated into the dash, if I replace it the new unit will look kinda ****** no matter what. Trust me I have a sweet Alpine deck I would love to throw in there but i just dont want the uglyness. And i DO NOT like double dins, too big and gody for me.

No, no, no. That is a terrible idea, sound reproduction on factory HU's is at best, horrible. I would reccomend dropping the cash for a nice Pioneer or Alpine HU.

3kwattz
01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
A little disconcening with the rf not being what it used to be, my last good build was a sony rockford combo, 2 power hx2 15" DVC w/ a bd 1500 4 P5 10"s w/ a 700x a sony 4 channel running the fanatic Q components and that was insane, in a FIREBIRD yes a firebird. was tons of fun.

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Yah I know the sound on the factoy head unit *****, thats why I'm putting in the 3sixty.3, that'll pretty much be the control unit, the radio will just be for putting in cd's and Im gonna rewire the xm input to a usb, also the 3sixty.3 has a bluetooth audio function i can stream into with my droid. The reason i dont wanna tear the head out is because of the way its intergrated into the dash, if I replace it the new unit will look kinda ****** no matter what. Trust me I have a sweet Alpine deck I would love to throw in there but i just dont want the uglyness. And i DO NOT like double dins, too big and gody for me.
Im sure with a little fiberglass work you could put a single DIN in there without it looking too bad, but I understand if you don't want to go through that hassle.

Good luck with your build, are you still set on running 100% rockford?

3kwattz
01-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Im sure with a little fiberglass work you could put a single DIN in there without it looking too bad, but I understand if you don't want to go through that hassle.

Good luck with your build, are you still set on running 100% rockford?

on this yah I want some fosgate, I dont mind paying the price for the brand because i know they're reliable and seem to hold up well over time. of all the brands of amps and woofers ive had including JL Alpine Sony JVC and Jesen (i was 16 I didn't know any better) they seem to be the ones that held up the best. I'm not competing with the stereo i just want something loud to listen to on my 50 min drive to work every day.

3kwattz
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
on this yah I want some fosgate, I dont mind paying the price for the brand because i know they're reliable and seem to hold up well over time. of all the brands of amps and woofers ive had including JL Alpine Sony JVC and Jesen (i was 16 I didn't know any better) they seem to be the ones that held up the best. I'm not competing with the stereo i just want something loud to listen to on my 50 min drive to work every day.

but outta curiosity, what is the better than fosgate and why? they sound better? more decibals for the same power? or is it just a power struggle?

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Well, if that's your cup of tea, haha. If you ever decide to rebuild, come check back in, i think you would be pleasantly surprised with what some of these smaller companies produce.

Chriszle
01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
but outta curiosity, what is the better than fosgate and why? they sound better? more decibals for the same power? or is it just a power struggle?

There is nothing wrong with RF except for the price. You can pay less for a sub that will do equally well. Or if your set on a budget of 400 per sub, you could get a lot more subwoofer for your money by going another route.

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Well, it's all about value. When you buy a sub or amp, you're not just paying for the sub/amp, you're paying for the R&D, the quality of the parts, the staff, just the overall cost of running a company in general. This isn't any ground breaking news, but the thing with a lot of companies, like JL and RF is you're also paying for their advertising, and for the fact that they're a big industry name. Just because a company is smaller doesn't mean their products are any less quality.

I think you'll find that the smaller companies offer better products at a better price. I've never heard anybody switch from sundown subs to RF subs and say "WOW, these rockfords are so much nicer" it's always the opposite case. Sundown's overhead cost is a fraction of RF's so they're able to bring you superior quality at the same or a lower price.

You won't find many people on here who swear by rockford subs or speakers. Lot's of people like two seperate companies for their speakers and subs. Before you go ready, fire, aim on this build, I would suggest you look around and read about people opinions on the various audio companies. I think you'll find if you compare the reviews of rockford products on a website like Sonic electronix to what members here have to say, you'll see that we're a much more educated user base who tend to scrutinize products much more than most consumers.

3kwattz
01-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Well I always like to save money, lol. I'll look into it and check em out. very understandable arguement, im in sales for a living and i tend to believe in "you get what you pay for" just from the nature of my business. this is the vid that made me wanna go with the 2500 and the t2's
My Jimmy flexing on 2 T2D215s and a T2500-1bd - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5heA5yQcP4) but i will look at the pages and check out the comp. espcially if Fosgate's quality has gone down over the years like i said the last nice subs i bought from them were the Power HX2 15"s and those are very old skool.

T.I.K.
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Well I always like to save money, lol. I'll look into it and check em out. very understandable arguement, im in sales for a living and i tend to believe in "you get what you pay for" just from the nature of my business. this is the vid that made me wanna go with the 2500 and the t2's
My Jimmy flexing on 2 T2D215s and a T2500-1bd - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5heA5yQcP4) but i will look at the pages and check out the comp. espcially if Fosgate's quality has gone down over the years like i said the last nice subs i bought from them were the Power HX2 15"s and those are very old skool.

OS RF Subs are basically as good as gold around here. Especially the old Team RF subs.

Look into Sundown Audio, DC Audio, SSA Audio (I think you would like their ICON line), Obsidian Audio (probably the most affordable company). For amps, look at audioque, crescendo, B2 (only their quota model though, their amps are stupid expensive), sundown.

ask for people's advice, look through the build logs, you'll get a general idea of what brands people like.

4bannger
01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying about for the price you can get something better than Rockford. But IMO I trust the quality more on well known big name companies. Anything goes wrong I've always had great luck sending a greatly worded email about it b/sing them. And they fix the problems. Most smaller brands wouldn't be willing to do the same, if you can contact them at all. Not hating on dc audio or creacendo though. If I had the money or space in my small truck I would go that route

its10v1
01-15-2013, 11:43 PM

More dB's on same power, due to larger motors(magnets) and/or cones. (RF 12" T2 vs DC Level 5 15")

its10v1
01-15-2013, 11:48 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying about for the price you can get something better than Rockford. But IMO I trust the quality more on well known big name companies. Anything goes wrong I've always had great luck sending a greatly worded email about it b/sing them. And they fix the problems. Most smaller brands wouldn't be willing to do the same, if you can contact them at all. Not hating on dc audio or creacendo though. If I had the money or space in my small truck I would go that route

Paying a company's payroll/advertising/etc/etc/etc, or Paying for Quality Parts? More Cost for less quality vs Same Cost for more quality? You decide.

Like being at the Santorini, Greece.. and taking the donkey ride to the top of the rim, as opposed to riding the tram for the same price....?
Yes I'm quoting the all knowing Ron White.

cdc351jeferson
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Dc has a bad *** warranty dude if you fry an amp they fix it period .

T.I.K.
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Paying a company's payroll/advertising/etc/etc/etc, or Paying for Quality Parts? More Cost for less quality vs Same Cost for more quality? You decide.

Like being at the Santorini, Greece.. and taking the donkey ride to the top of the rim, as opposed to riding the tram for the same price....?
Yes I'm quoting the all knowing Ron White.
I've actually done both of those things, rode the tram up, took a donkey down.

its10v1
01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
I've actually done both of those things, rode the tram up, took a donkey down.

Lol. Never heard it put like that.. good point of view though.

4bannger
01-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Okay I retract my statement from earlier

2Dcore
01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

You're doing a trunk build compared to a jimmy wont be the exact results as this vid. can get close if you asked these guys on here that know their stuff on trunk builds. It's alot to do with the enclosure. I love fosgate T series amps and components. I'm running the comps now. I always went fosgate till i got on here, I learned alot from the guys on this forum by reading alot. GL with build.

3kwattz
01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
You're doing a trunk build compared to a jimmy wont be the exact results as this vid. can get close if you asked these guys on here that know their stuff on trunk builds. It's alot to do with the enclosure. I love fosgate T series amps and components. I'm running the comps now. I always went fosgate till i got on here, I learned alot from the guys on this forum by reading alot. GL with build.

Tnx man, I was looking at all the stuff everyone was talking about. I think I'm gonna stick with RF on this one but, I may try out these other guys when I do my wife's new car next. She been griping to get her own stuff and it doesn't need to be nearly as exotic as mine so I may do like a 500 watt system in hers with the companys like SSA and give them a shot, after all if it sounds good I'll roll with it.