PDA

View Full Version : What are some SPl tricks or tips you have learned?

itsblown
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Just wondering what are some tips or tricks you guys have learned to get the higher numbers. Just wondering because im thinking of competing in Meca this year.

The only thing I could think of is wiring up in impedance. Like instead of going dual 2 down to 1 go from dual .5 up to 1.

hopefully we can get a good list started in here for members to try out

Sub Woofin
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
good luck!

n8skow
01-13-2013, 03:01 PM
turn it to the right!

Falcons
01-13-2013, 03:02 PM
ive heard if you have an suv with a dash speaker, pull that dash speaker and you will gain on the meter.

TaylorFade
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Just wondering what are some tips or tricks you guys have learned to get the higher numbers. Just wondering because im thinking of competing in Meca this year.

The only thing I could think of is wiring up in impedance. Like instead of going dual 2 down to 1 go from dual .5 up to 1.

hopefully we can get a good list started in here for members to try out

A higher load will help with efficiency and a cleaner signal if you have no worries about number or size of amps, but you have it twisted on the wiring configuration. Parlell is "supposedly" louder than series. So, theoretically, A D2 wired to 1ohm will be louder than a D.5 wired to 1 ohm.

dbjunior
01-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Build a lot of boxes. Buy a meter. Test test test. Try everything visors, seat position, vehicle temp. log it all down and just keep testing . Don't forget test!

kushy_dreams
01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
glove box open usually nets a few tenths regardless of what car is being used

sacsking916
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
A higher load will help with efficiency and a cleaner signal if you have no worries about number or size of amps, but you have it twisted on the wiring configuration. Parlell is "supposedly" louder than series. So, theoretically, A D2 wired to 1ohm will be louder than a D.5 wired to 1 ohm.

was just gonna say the same exact thing.

OP realistically only thing you can do is test and test and when youre done, do more testing. certain things work great in certain cars and flop in others. like the adjusting the mirrors, or having the sunvisor down/up, open glovebox, open center console etc etc

Joe562MMA
01-19-2013, 02:26 AM
do changing out my stock speakers an tweeters have any addition to term lab score? nice pair of 6 1/2s an twetters?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

do changing out my stock speakers an tweeters have any addition to term lab score? nice pair of 6 1/2s an tweeters?

mylows10
01-19-2013, 02:53 AM
do changing out my stock speakers an tweeters have any addition to term lab score? nice pair of 6 1/2s an twetters?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

do changing out my stock speakers an tweeters have any addition to term lab score? nice pair of 6 1/2s an tweeters?
no

Joe562MMA
01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
no

thanks

alec14
01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
tuned in if this really does give some good tips for spl

pro-rabbit
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
The best tip ever was already discussed. Testing. There is simply nothing better to do. What works for one application(even the same exact vehicle) may not work for you and your setup/goals.

r0llinlacs
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
My rules of thumb are always face the sub towards the rear of the vehicle. Also any ports should face the same way as the sub.

In my vehicle (A small four door sedan) I gained 1-2db by rolling down the front windows. Rolling all windows down resulted in 1-2db less and all windows up did the same.

pro-rabbit
02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
My rules of thumb are always face the sub towards the rear of the vehicle. Also any ports should face the same way as the sub.

In my vehicle (A small four door sedan) I gained 1-2db by rolling down the front windows. Rolling all windows down resulted in 1-2db less and all windows up did the same.

You should try sub up or forward and port to the passenger side. Might be surprised at the outcome.

05fronty
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
put a fat guy in the passenger seat with you

r0llinlacs
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
You should try sub up or forward and port to the passenger side. Might be surprised at the outcome.

Doing that eliminates trunk gain, and in SUV's eliminates cabin gain. In all my experiments in trunks, facing rear with sub AND port will net up to 5db versus front or up firing, depending on the car. Front or up firing is a little cleaner and more even sounding, but not as loud or punchy in my experience.

r0llinlacs
02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
put a fat guy in the passenger seat with you

LOL, passengers actually absorb the sound waves and make it less loud.

NASTY08IMPALA
02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Doing that eliminates trunk gain, and in SUV's eliminates cabin gain. In all my experiments in trunks, facing rear with sub AND port will net up to 5db versus front or up firing, depending on the car. Front or up firing is a little cleaner and more even sounding, but not as loud or punchy in my experience.

Trunks with subs forward and port to drivers side is pretty dam loud ..as good or better than subs and port back ..thats how.my new box wil be setup dbeez ;just did a box for 2 12" zv3.s on a saz4500 pretty nasty

dbeez
02-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah I will disagree with some of that statement.

Falcons
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah I will disagree with some of that statement.

What statement? And what parts?

dbeez
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
What statement? And what parts?

Give me a bit to get to a comp my phone doesn't like this sub forum.

dbeez
02-09-2013, 11:28 PM

ok i will disagree with the 5 db gain and the cleaner sounding that is a peronal prefrence type of thing what one person finds soothing another will hate so thats your opinion. subs forward and port side have yielded great results when done right box specs tuining and whatnot but test test test and you will find what is best in your application as every vehicle is different even when they are the same car sometimes the results will vary.

pro-rabbit
02-09-2013, 11:34 PM

What all have you actually tested to give you this number? Most trunks that I (and many others) have built to get loud did not fire back at all.

Also, to suggest anything would give someone a 5db increase is....well...just not accurate.

r0llinlacs
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I had an 87 cadillac that sounded horrid with front firing subs. Ported or sealed, it didn't matter. Rear firing did net me 5 more db. But it's different in every car. My car now only benefits 1-2db from rear firing.

pro-rabbit
02-09-2013, 11:53 PM
If they are sounding "terrible", that has more to do with enclosure design and various settings then anything. Most of the time it is not as simple as just moving the enclosure around because it does load differently.

NASTY08IMPALA
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I had an 87 cadillac that sounded horrid with front firing subs. Ported or sealed, it didn't matter. Rear firing did net me 5 more db. But it's different in every car. My car now only benefits 1-2db from rear firing.

Ur talking subs and port forward and yes i agree sound bad unless u seal off from cabin...were talkin port firing off drivers quarter panel

mlstrass
02-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Maybe on your planet but on Earth I've seen numerous vehicles gain .1 - .3 on the meter with a passenger and NONE have ever lost

mlstrass
02-10-2013, 08:15 AM

I will be sure to tell all the loud guys at finals that they're doing it wrong...

05fronty
02-10-2013, 08:34 AM

actually i gained .2 putting someone up there when i metered in my frontier. not lying either. i have people who can vouch

mlstrass
02-11-2013, 06:37 AM
actually i gained .2 putting someone up there when i metered in my frontier. not lying either. i have people who can vouch

because you're shrinking cabin space, dude is obviously clueless....

NASTY08IMPALA
02-11-2013, 06:39 AM

This all day ..anytime u decrease the amount of space u have to pressurize its in ur favor

AdrianD
02-11-2013, 08:16 AM
It's not always the case that less air = better score though, I remember I dropped box sizes on an XXX18 and the score actually went up (and it's not because of the tuning and peak frequency) :)

PS: I haven't posted here in eons :lol:

dbeez
02-11-2013, 09:06 AM
You dropped box size did port shrink as well and keep same tuning all in all their are so many factors when it comes down to it the weather it self will dictate your score as well. So maybe the change in temp upped the score maybe something inside was moved a bit too much to say honestly.

Tenacious
02-13-2013, 01:50 AM
With the meter on the passenger side, I gained 2db when I opened my driver door

darron016
02-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Trunks with subs forward and port to drivers side is pretty dam loud ..as good or better than subs and port back ..thats how.my new box wil be setup dbeez ;just did a box for 2 12" zv3.s on a saz4500 pretty nasty

Just had a custom box made with subs facing cabin, slotted port to side.. loudest I ever felt

NASTY08IMPALA
02-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Just had a custom box made with subs facing cabin, slotted port to side.. loudest I ever felt

yep it worrks pretty well when u load off the quarter panel especially if u have some air space on that side of the box ...makes for a **** wind tunnel if.u got decent power

Canaan
02-13-2013, 03:01 AM
Shurtape makes you louder.

Lol.

n8skow
02-13-2013, 09:52 AM
doesn't mean the meter will agree unfortunately...

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Shurtape combined with a thick Brazilian accent...

Shurtape makes you louder.

Lol.

05fronty
02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

yep know this fat guy cody lol. some of you peeps prob know em

dbeez
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
yep it worrks pretty well when u load off the quarter panel especially if u have some air space on that side of the box ...makes for a **** wind tunnel if.u got decent power

unfortunately I have had other locals try and build and design a box like the ones I have done in that impala and with 6k couldn't get over a 45 the designer and builder must have something to do with it as well.

wickedwitt
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Also any ports should face the same way as the sub.

This almost never works, unless it is a simple wall.

mazdakid
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

I like sub forward port sideways but port firing into an extra part of the box that looks like a slot port instead of firing into the quarter panel.
Got a 148@30 that way with an m3a in my civic.

n8skow
02-13-2013, 10:17 AM
He ain't fat... he's proportional...
=)

yep know this fat guy cody lol. some of you peeps prob know em

NASTY08IMPALA
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
unfortunately I have had other locals try and build and design a box like the ones I have done in that impala and with 6k couldn't get over a 45 the designer and builder must have something to do with it as well.

yea well thats a total fail then lol

05fronty
02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
He ain't fat... he's proportional...
=)

ummm if ya say so lulz