PDA

View Full Version : What double DIN head unit to buy?

mikeb618
01-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Here is what i need...

Bluetooth
SiriusXM
3sets of RCAs (prefer high voltage)
CD player
Touchscreen (would be nice but not necessary)
Pandora app
Crossovers (would like the ability to run full active)

I have most of the parts to put a stereo in my car and planned to use the factory deck with a Audio Control LCQ1 but the more i think about it replacing the deck might be the best option. This is going in a 2013 Chevy Sonic.

I have no idea what is available and hope you folks can make some suggestions to help narrow my search.

THANKS!

butterMilk
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
The best part of the HU I have in my sig, is that you can use a SD card. 16gig sd holds a ton of music, no more cd's.

Snapper_Slapper
01-09-2013, 11:36 PM
What happened to my post? It said something about waiting for mods approval?

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Here is what i need...

Bluetooth
SiriusXM
3sets of RCAs (prefer high voltage)
CD player
Touchscreen (would be nice but not necessary)
Pandora app
Crossovers (would like the ability to run full active)

I have most of the parts to put a stereo in my car and planned to use the factory deck with a Audio Control LCQ1 but the more i think about it replacing the deck might be the best option. This is going in a 2013 Chevy Sonic.

I have no idea what is available and hope you folks can make some suggestions to help narrow my search.

THANKS!

The last one is going to get you every time. Haven't seen a double-din in a while that had active xovers. Everything else, though, would definitely be covered by the 8400 and it's treated me extremely well so far. As for active crossovers, you could consider getting an amp with a good set of crossovers, like the PPI Black Ice or Phantom series or even the Soundstream Tarantula Nanos.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

What budget did you set for the HU?

mylows10
01-09-2013, 11:44 PM
only double din deck that can be ran active is the clarion nx702

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
only double din deck that can be ran active is the clarion nx702

Now why'd you have to go and show me that, Jim. I needed to see this last October when I bought the Pio. I hate you.

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/12US_SHB_NX702_main.jpg

That's what he's talking about, OP

mylows10
01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Now why'd you have to go and show me that, Jim. I needed to see this last October when I bought the Pio. I hate you.

sorry neo

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 11:59 PM
sorry neo

Nah, I can't stay mad at you. That is a gorgeous looking HU though. If it has the same DAC and sound brain as the CZ702, it's definitely worth it.

mylows10
01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
i think it does and has time alignment as well

neo_styles
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
i think it does and has time alignment as well

Well, there you go OP. It's $670 on Sonic, but see if someone like mylows10 ; or trumpet ; can get one for you instead.

mylows10
01-10-2013, 12:03 AM
i can get these to

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Well, there you go OP. It's $670 on Sonic, but see if someone like mylows10 ; or trumpet ; can get one for you instead.

i could have it on the way tomorrow if you like

Sonic.
01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
The only downside to the clarion nx702 is the crossover slope for the high, which is only 12db/octave. Most people prefer a steeper slope for the tweets.

dragnix
01-10-2013, 12:30 AM
really? I heard ppl normally prefer steeper slopes for the midbass, but everyone is different

mikeb618
01-10-2013, 12:38 AM
That Clarion is super nice!

But i would really like something that has a slot for the CD that doesnt have a flip down face. I guess i could deal with the flip face but would prefer to not have it. Not even sure if it is possible to get a nice deck that doesnt have the flip face?

The SD card slot is nothing i care about. I have 16g of music on my phone so i dont really need it or want to mess with loading more music onto something else.

Also, it would be nice if it had a 3.5 aux input. Doesnt have to be on the front but i really want a aux input.

Budget...$400-500 would be nice but i can swing a little more if i find exactly what i need.

BTW...do all the decks require a add on module for XM? Can i use the factory antenna that is on my car for the XM? The car has XM so i know the antenna is capable but dont know about connecting it?

Sonic.
01-10-2013, 01:00 AM
really? I heard ppl normally prefer steeper slopes for the midbass, but everyone is different

Well most time you can get away with the shallower slope at the mid/low end, but it's more difficult for the tweets, especially, what's available today in the car audio market. Most 2 way active front stage requires a large format tweeter, while it takes alot of mod to do that. So, a small format is used with a steeper slope. But all in all, it's subjective to the drivers chosen, and most take the easy way.

dragnix
01-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Well most time you can get away with the shallower slope at the mid/low end, but it's more difficult for the tweets, especially, what's available today in the car audio market. Most 2 way active front stage requires a large format tweeter, while it takes alot of mod to do that. So, a small format is used with a steeper slope. But all in all, it's subjective to the drivers chosen, and most take the easy way.

The way I see it is that on the lower end you need a steeper slope as the octaves get a lot closer together. An octave down from 80hz is 40hz, a lot closer than 4khz and 8khz. So when it's cut at 18db/slope it is much more beneficial (as I see it) at the lower end since it doesn't allow for overlapping of the mids and subs and sometimes the tweets and mids.

Sonic.
01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
The way I see it is that on the lower end you need a steeper slope as the octaves get a lot closer together. An octave down from 80hz is 40hz, a lot closer than 4khz and 8khz. So when it's cut at 18db/slope it is much more beneficial (as I see it) at the lower end since it doesn't allow for overlapping of the mids and subs and sometimes the tweets and mids.

I see your point, makes sense.

trumpet
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
The high end double DINs all have a full face that doesn't leave room for an exposed CD slot. For a budget of $400-500 I would just pair the head unit with a 4-channel amp that has a bandpass crossover built in. Most amps are going to limit that to a 12 dB/octave slope but it's not that big of a deal for a budget active setup. Many passive crossovers use a 12 dB slope.

edit: Factory XM radio is different from aftermarket. An "XM Ready" receiver will have a separate box required to get XM radio working. A new antenna is provided. Sometimes you can stick the antenna to the top of the radio and it will get signal through the dash and the windshield. The best reception comes from putting the antenna on the roof.

The 2012 Pioneer AVH-P3400BH has most of the features you want. The new model replacing that is the AVH-X3500BHS. I don't know if it's shipping yet.

smgreen20
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
The SD card slot is nothing i care about. I have 16g of music on my phone so i don't really need it or want to mess with loading more music onto something else.
FYI, the SD is for the Navigation. I am not sure though, if you could take it out and put in one with music and it play??????

mikeb618
01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
The high end double DINs all have a full face that doesn't leave room for an exposed CD slot. For a budget of $400-500 I would just pair the head unit with a 4-channel amp that has a bandpass crossover built in. Most amps are going to limit that to a 12 dB/octave slope but it's not that big of a deal for a budget active setup. Many passive crossovers use a 12 dB slope.

edit: Factory XM radio is different from aftermarket. An "XM Ready" receiver will have a separate box required to get XM radio working. A new antenna is provided. Sometimes you can stick the antenna to the top of the radio and it will get signal through the dash and the windshield. The best reception comes from putting the antenna on the roof.

The 2012 Pioneer AVH-P3400BH has most of the features you want. The new model replacing that is the AVH-X3500BHS. I don't know if it's shipping yet.

So, is it not possible to use the factory XM antenna? Seems like there would be an adapter to make it work.

I have realized that getting a deck that allows me to run a active system is not happening and i am fine with that. I just thought that if i was going to buy a deck i should try to get all that appeal to me.

Does the pioneer AVH-P3400BH have a good pandora app?

Thanks to everyone for the help!

mylows10
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
all the pioneer decks work really well with pandora , the 3400 does have a small screen tho