PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter/Front stage advice

gckless
01-06-2013, 11:40 PM
I currently have a set of CDT HD-62CF's, that came with the HD-100 tweeter. I will be running active utilizing the crossovers on my 80PRS, running to a DC 175.4 for amplification.

I have heard the woofers are good so I will be using those, but the HD-100's aren't so great. I am looking for either opinions on the HD-100's, or a recommendation for a good tweeter to use. Budget is about $100 for a pair, though less is always better. I prefer a softer tweeter, not that bright.

I like the look of ribbon tweeters, though never heard them and from what I understand they are fairly unforgiving in terms of power delivered to them (both above and below rated) and crossover points and slopes. Could someone school me on those?

mlstrass
01-07-2013, 04:18 AM
personally I'd listen to the tweeters you have to make sure that YOU don't like the sound of them. Otherwise hit up diyma as they have a ton of reviews on most of the popular tweeters out...

Bettr n' Revrse
01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
I currently have a set of CDT HD-62CF's, that came with the HD-100 tweeter. I will be running active utilizing the crossovers on my 80PRS, running to a DC 175.4 for amplification.

I have heard the woofers are good so I will be using those, but the HD-100's aren't so great. I am looking for either opinions on the HD-100's, or a recommendation for a good tweeter to use. Budget is about $100 for a pair, though less is always better. I prefer a softer tweeter, not that bright.

I like the look of ribbon tweeters, though never heard them and from what I understand they are fairly unforgiving in terms of power delivered to them (both above and below rated) and crossover points and slopes. Could someone school me on those?

I may be able to help you out man...

gckless
01-07-2013, 04:38 AM
I may be able to help you out man...

Stop being a tease!

Bettr n' Revrse
01-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Stop being a tease!

PM me or get ahold of my on FB

gckless
01-07-2013, 05:15 AM
personally I'd listen to the tweeters you have to make sure that YOU don't like the sound of them. Otherwise hit up diyma as they have a ton of reviews on most of the popular tweeters out...

Yeah good call. Got ahead of myself after seeing a couple bad reviews. Guess I'm just looking for anyone with experience with them, and also education on ribbon tweeters.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Yeah good call. Got ahead of myself after seeing a couple bad reviews. Guess I'm just looking for anyone with experience with them, and also education on ribbon tweeters.

Might as well try them...

gckless
01-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Might as well try them...

The CDT's? That's what I'm going to do. I wouldn't want to just do planar tweets though without any information. So far what I've read in a nutshell is that they aren't great under wattage and are really sensitive to over-powering, and are very picky on both crossover point and slope type. They aren't exactly cheap to just burn by learning.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Ribbons are very picky

Why So Cereal?
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Seas Neos. Damnn near impossible to beat for the money for a compact tweeter.

Very versatile too

If you're crossing at 4k or higher then LPG

trumpet
01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
The HD-100s are very similar to the TW-25s, which I've used extensively. I upgrade from TW-25s to DRT-26, the silk version. That was a really nice upgrade, although I have since switched to the aluminum domes.