PDA

View Full Version : Hertz vs Cdt audio?

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about getting cdt hd series all around, but in doing more research i've been suggested hertz HSK 165's are great for clarity and hearing all around good sound quality, I have a pair of hd 690 cfs in the back and despite one being sent damaged, i'm not as happy with the sound quality as i'd liked. Anyone have personal experience with them? and also would it be possible to buy them without the cross overs? or a second pair without the tweeters?

rebelfromva
01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I had the hd61a set. Sound great and loud. Sound even better ran active. Local runs those hertz. They are nice as well

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Can you shortly explain what running active means?
I had the hd61a set. Sound great and loud. Sound even better ran active. Local runs those hertz. They are nice as well

gckless
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
The HD690's are just a mid-woofer right? You're comparing a component set to a mid-woofer. Not exactly a good comparison.Or are you just saying you don't like them for what they are? Is your install good in the rear?

Either way, HD's have gotten good reviews. I have a set of HD-62CF's that I have yet to install. Build quality I can speak on, and is very good. I have read that the tweeters can be pretty bright, though again, no experience yet.

The JBL MS-62C's are also in your price range. I have not seen a single bad review on them, everyone who gets them seems to be very happy with them.

murph
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Hertz > Cdt depending on how much you want to spend.

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Aren't the 690's a mid range? they play the same frequency's. I believe the setup to be good, I have a Pioneer 80prs with kicker x series rca's to a rockford fosgate power t400-2. I'm just not getting the clarity I want out of them. I'll take a look at the jbl's too though
The HD690's are just a mid-woofer right? You're comparing a component set to a mid-woofer. Not exactly a good comparison.Or are you just saying you don't like them for what they are? Is your install good in the rear?

Either way, HD's have gotten good reviews. I have a set of HD-62CF's that I have yet to install. Build quality I can speak on, and is very good. I have read that the tweeters can be pretty bright, though again, no experience yet.

The JBL MS-62C's are also in your price range. I have not seen a single bad review on them, everyone who gets them seems to be very happy with them.

gckless
01-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Aren't the 690's a mid range? they play the same frequency's. I believe the setup to be good, I have a Pioneer 80prs with kicker x series rca's to a rockford fosgate power t400-2. I'm just not getting the clarity I want out of them. I'll take a look at the jbl's too though

The HD-690cf's might be a mid-woofer, not a coaxial, so no tweeter in them. mylows10 should know. But if they are a mid-woofer, that would be why you're not getting the "clarity" you expect out of them. They are not playing any upper frequencies. Go and listen to them, but I'm willing to bet they aren't playing any high frequencies, and that's what you are describing when you say clarity.

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
I understand they don't play any highs, I should have stated that the midbass isn't what I would like I mean.
The HD-690cf's might be a mid-woofer, not a coaxial, so no tweeter in them. mylows10 should know. But if they are a mid-woofer, that would be why you're not getting the "clarity" you expect out of them. They are not playing any upper frequencies. Go and listen to them, but I'm willing to bet they aren't playing any high frequencies, and that's what you are describing when you say clarity.

mylows10
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
the 690 is a sub not mid woofer .unless you get the coaxials or components

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Is there a way to only buy the hertz hsk 165's 6.5" speakers without the crossover or tweeters?

rebelfromva
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Can you shortly explain what running active means?

Setting the crossover for each individual speaker set ie. mid woofer . Tweets. Midrange.

hispls
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Dude, you're in Florida. You're supposed to put half a dozen 10" PA mids in your doors and a dozen super tweeters or horns.

IMO unless you're getting into top of the line money there should be much difference.

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I haven't been to a car audio competition in Florida but that's not my style at all lol. I just want something that'll sound clean without completely destroying my wallet
Dude, you're in Florida. You're supposed to put half a dozen 10" PA mids in your doors and a dozen super tweeters or horns.

IMO unless you're getting into top of the line money there should be much difference.

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I haven't been to a car audio competition in Florida but that's not my style at all lol. I just want something that'll sound clean without completely destroying my wallet

trumpet
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
the 690 is a sub not mid woofer .unless you get the coaxials or components

You're just changing the name depending on the passband. The same could be said about 6.5" midbass drivers. They're basically subwoofers as well.

trumpet
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Any drivers from CDT can be purchased al a carte, as in without crossovers. I don't sell Hertz so I don't know what a Hertz dealer could offer. If you're comparing speakers from similar ranges you'll get good sound from either brand. They won't have the same sound but you wouldn't know the difference unless you installed one comparable set from each brand in your vehicle. Good speakers are helped a huge amount by how much effort you put into the installation and how well you tune it.

ace_800
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I love my Hertz 165XL's, but I am using them as my fronts not as just mid bass.