PDA

View Full Version : turning sealed into ported

Beatin'
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I know it's possible, but is it worth it?

I have a dual sealed box for 2 15's. There is no room in the front to have either a round or slot port. Not to mention it also has a center divider....

I could put the ports on the sides, but would that affect output? Would there be some degree of cancellation or any other ill effects?

ThatChevyGuy
01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
leave it sealed, and build a ported box. it doesn't work like that.

first of all most 15s need at least 3 cubes.

you probably wont have enough space for port length unless you tune in the 40s.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Most likely not going to work. Your subs need more airspace to be ported than sealed, plus you need to factor in port length or you won't have any tuning. Best to stay sealed or have a separate box built to go ported.

05fronty
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
yeah when i had my 2 15's the box was like 8 cube

Beatin'
01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I wonder.......since space is an issue with port length, can you have the ports sticking out of the box?

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I wonder.......since space is an issue with port length, can you have the ports sticking out of the box?

You can, but it's internal volume that should be your concern. You won't have enough in that sealed enclosure.

TaylorFade
01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Repurpose some of the cardboard tubes from Christmas wrapping paper. That's how the pros do it.

1.5cf per 15 with an external 2" cardboard tube. Wangin.

05fronty
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
best bet op is build or have someone build a properly tuned box for your subs. you will be so much happier with the output and less headache

ThatChevyGuy
01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
also, what subs? some subs r better off sealed

Beatin'
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Ultimately, I will build a couple of proper ported boxes for each 15, to better fit them in the trunk.

But for experimental purposes, I think I want to turn my sealed box into a ported one. :silly:

Can anybody predict the outcome? What is typically the shape of the frequency response with such a small internal volume?

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Ultimately, I will build a couple of proper ported boxes for each 15, to better fit them in the trunk.

But for experimental purposes, I think I want to turn my sealed box into a ported one. :silly:

Can anybody predict the outcome? What is typically the shape of the frequency response with such a small internal volume?

Outcome is you could inadvertently cause damage to your subs with the extra excursion caused by being able to go ported without the added benefit of good excursion along with a lot of extra shtuff in your trunk. Not worth it, but if you feel like experimenting, go ahead. Personally, I'd rather hold onto the sealed box if I wanted a change once I went ported.

ThatChevyGuy
01-06-2013, 12:06 AM

let me save you some trouble. i was 16 once. i ruined a good sealed box too. dont do it all your low notes will disappear and you wont gain any output

Beatin'
01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I think my time will be better spent just going ahead and building a couple of ported boxes from the ground up.

thanks for the input.

ThatChevyGuy
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I think my time will be better spent just going ahead and building a couple of ported boxes from the ground up.

thanks for the input.
good idea!