PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Sonic Center Control and Sound Retriever

sjv13
01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Ok, so I have a Pioneer hu and these two settings I'm not completely sure exactly what they do.

I have the Sonic Center Control to 3-left (max 7 both ways) and it sounds good to me. Is this just a time alignment?

Secondly, the sound retriever... what exactly does this do? I have it set on 1 (options are off, 1, or 2) All pioneer says is that it makes compressed music sound better. But how? Is it just another loudness setting? (I switch loudness between off and low depending on my mood (options being off, low, mid, or high)). I'd say the music does sound better with the sound retriever, but I know they cant actually be making it a high quality file because their is just not the possibility of ever doing that.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, SCC is basically time alignment with lesser adjustments. Sound Retriever is basically dynamic compression. Pioneer says it "enhances" compressed recordings, but I've noticed it just jacks up the bass and pushes everything together.

calebkhill
01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Ok, so I have a Pioneer hu and these two settings I'm not completely sure exactly what they do.

I have the Sonic Center Control to 3-left (max 7 both ways) and it sounds good to me. Is this just a time alignment?

Secondly, the sound retriever... what exactly does this do? I have it set on 1 (options are off, 1, or 2) All pioneer says is that it makes compressed music sound better. But how? Is it just another loudness setting? (I switch loudness between off and low depending on my mood (options being off, low, mid, or high)). I'd say the music does sound better with the sound retriever, but I know they cant actually be making it a high quality file because their is just not the possibility of ever doing that.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow I've had the same question past couple days..

Hey neo', ive had a problem out my tweeters cracking sometimes' noticed the f/l0 f/r0 fader on our head unit has helped me get this distortion out... My speakers are wired kinda weird, with the 2 front tweets ran off the hu's front rca's and the front and rear speakers ran off the hu's rear rca's. So when I decease the fronts on the fader, I can back off until the cracking goes away, how much I have to back off depends on the song. Some songs have no distortion from the tweets. My question is when you fade from lh to rh, or front to rear, does it decrease the volume or db's, seems its volume because you can silence it completely.....

Seems I've only found a band aid for the problem, I really feel the tweets are damaged' as I ran them only at 400hz hp at volume for a couple weeks.

sjv13
01-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Hey neo', ive had a problem out my tweeters cracking sometimes' noticed the f/l0 f/r0 fader on our head unit has helped me get this distortion out... My speakers are wired kinda weird, with the 2 front tweets ran off the hu's front rca's and the front and rear speakers ran off the hu's rear rca's. So when I decease the fronts on the fader, I can back off until the cracking goes away, how much I have to back off depends on the song. Some songs have no distortion from the tweets. My question is when you fade from lh to rh, or front to rear, does it decrease the volume or db's, seems its volume because you can silence it completely.....

Seems I've only found a band aid for the problem, I really feel the tweets are damaged' as I ran them only at 400hz hp at volume for a couple weeks.

EDIT: My original answer made no sense. I read what you wrote too fast. That's how I have mine wired as well. Are you running a four channel amp? Make sure the gains are set right. Sounds like maybe they are distorting the tweeters. And what's the hpf set to for the tweeters now?

sjv13
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes, SCC is basically time alignment with lesser adjustments. Sound Retriever is basically dynamic compression. Pioneer says it "enhances" compressed recordings, but I've noticed it just jacks up the bass and pushes everything together.

What is dynamic compression? And yeah, I turned it on today as thought great... now I have to re-set my sub gain.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM

The 8400 isn't an active-capable HU, so you shouldn't be running the tweets off their own channel from the HU. Sounds like they're receiving a full-range signal (which you should never do) and by using the fader, you're effectively dropping the gain which is why they stop crackling. Take those tweets off a 400Hz HP, they can't handle it. You should be crossing somewhere closer to 2KHz-4KHz.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
What is dynamic compression? And yeah, I turned it on today as thought great... now I have to re-set my sub gain.

Dynamic Compression just makes everything louder. It's why you're noticing having to readjust the sub. Think of it as compensating for having a crappy stock system without a sub. Since you have the equipment you need, keep Sound Retreiver off. If you've ever listened to the same album on vinyl and CD/mp3, you can see how dynamic compression comes into play. Reader's Digest version? It's not good news for sound quality.

sjv13
01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Dynamic Compression just makes everything louder. It's why you're noticing having to readjust the sub. Think of it as compensating for having a crappy stock system without a sub. Since you have the equipment you need, keep Sound Retreiver off. If you've ever listened to the same album on vinyl and CD/mp3, you can see how dynamic compression comes into play. Reader's Digest version? It's not good news for sound quality.

ah thanks. How does this help a stock system?

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
ah thanks. How does this help a stock system?

People tend to think louder=better. So the stock systems that can't handle the wide frequency range of our systems think they're getting better SQ.

sjv13
01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
People tend to think louder=better. So the stock systems that can't handle the wide frequency range of our systems think they're getting better SQ.

But if it boosts the bass, wouldnt the stock systems distort at lower levels then?

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
But if it boosts the bass, wouldnt the stock systems distort at lower levels then?

Most of them do, it's just that most people don't care. Like I said, I've played with it on and off, lost all of my midrange info when it was on. I think of it as the same thing as the loudness control.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 03:56 AM
EDIT: My original answer made no sense. I read what you wrote too fast. That's how I have mine wired as well. Are you running a four channel amp? Make sure the gains are set right. Sounds like maybe they are distorting the tweeters. And what's the hpf set to for the tweeters now?

Its not gain. Happens with gain. At min. Yea its 4 ch. Hpf is 3.5

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 04:09 AM
The 8400 isn't an active-capable HU, so you shouldn't be running the tweets off their own channel from the HU. Sounds like they're receiving a full-range signal (which you should never do) and by using the fader, you're effectively dropping the gain which is why they stop crackling. Take those tweets off a 400Hz HP, they can't handle it. You should be crossing somewhere closer to 2KHz-4KHz.

Yea, al already put the tweets on a passive set at 3.5. I just didnt at first, adding the passive crossovers was a loose end afterf a 20 hour install.. So i ran them at 400hZ. But idk, depending on the song or whether the quality is good, itll crackle. 90% of songs it wont though. Still thinik idamagved the tweet. Using fader helps alottho than k god.

P.S.
When using fader, your lowering gain? I didnt know wheteher it was volume or db...

sjv13
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I didnt know wheteher it was volume or db...

Decibels are a measure of the volume... I dont get what you're saying.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Decibels are a measure of the volume... I dont get what you're saying.

The reason I ask.....
Because i noticed the only thing that stops the noise is reducing volume, which made me think that fading to the rear lowered the volume rather than reduce db's.
Amp gain or eq wont stop it.
Reason im thinking theres a diff in volume and db is because I can back off the volume and the noise stops, but i can go into my HU's eq and lower every band to minimum and you will still hear distortion from the tweets. So sinse fading to the rear clears the noise, im thinking its reducing volume to the tweets.

And i dont think my HU is clipping because its at certain parts of certain songs. 90% of other songs, no distortion.

My amp isnt clipping because the gain was at zero.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Yea, al already put the tweets on a passive set at 3.5. I just didnt at first, adding the passive crossovers was a loose end afterf a 20 hour install.. So i ran them at 400hZ. But idk, depending on the song or whether the quality is good, itll crackle. 90% of songs it wont though. Still thinik idamagved the tweet. Using fader helps alottho than k god.

P.S.
When using fader, your lowering gain? I didnt know wheteher it was volume or db...

Using the fader lowers voltage through the channel you're fading away from. That's probably why the eq adjustments aren't helping even with your gains at minimum. I'm guessing you cooked your tweeters by playing frequencies they couldn't support. Consider getting those replaced soon.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
The reason I ask.....
Because i noticed the only thing that stops the noise is reducing volume, which made me think that fading to the rear lowered the volume rather than reduce db's.
Amp gain or eq wont stop it.
Reason im thinking theres a diff in volume and db is because I can back off the volume and the noise stops, but i can go into my HU's eq and lower every band to minimum and you will still hear distortion from the tweets. So sinse fading to the rear clears the noise, im thinking its reducing volume to the tweets.

And i dont think my HU is clipping because its at certain parts of certain songs. 90% of other songs, no distortion.

My amp isnt clipping because the gain was at zero.

Have you set your gains with a DMM? The gains on your amp shouldnt be at zero. If you want to do a quick check on your tweeters, you might just go to best buy or whatever you have around you, buy a cheap pair of components, hook up the tweeters, see if they sound right, and then return the speakers. At least you'll know what's happening. Pay cash, so that you get cash back when you return.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Using the fader lowers voltage through the channel you're fading away from. That's probably why the eq adjustments aren't helping even with your gains at minimum. I'm guessing you cooked your tweeters by playing frequencies they couldn't support. Consider getting those replaced soon.

I think so too. So it reduces voltage/gain. This is nice to know.. Replacing... Leads me to another question.
Been thinking about changing to components up front. Think I should replace the front 6x9s and tweets with a component set. Heard components are way better than coax, and my 6x9s are coax.
(Mentioned it in another thread but nobody has said anything of it)

And sjv13, I havnt used a dmm, im just being conservative with them at this point. I have the gains up some actually.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I think so too. So it reduces voltage/gain. This is nice to know.. Replacing... Leads me to another question.
Been thinking about changing to components up front. Think I should replace the front 6x9s and tweets with a component set. Heard components are way better than coax, and my 6x9s are coax.

And sjv13, I havnt used a dmm, im just being conservative with them at this point. I have the gains up some actually.

Components are better than coax. Mainly because you can position the tweeters in better spots (i. e. not in the kick panel by your feet, but up somewhere closer to your ear, or bounce the sound off the windshield). Typically, they also can take more rms. But a big part is that most companies dont really make good coax speakers anymore, because they know the people buying them arent the audiophiles.

P.S. If you want to get my attention, you have to either quote me, or mention my name by doing @ sjv13 ; (without the spaces).

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM

I would wholeheartedly recommend stepping up to a set of components. You can actually get the best of both worlds with a set of convertible components. Do you have a budget in mind? I'd like to think I can recommend things fairly well.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I would wholeheartedly recommend stepping up to a set of components. You can actually get the best of both worlds with a set of convertible components. Do you have a budget in mind? I'd like to think I can recommend things fairly well.

Well, I have coax in the front, but also a pair of tweets in the dash, which i could move around. I only want to swap to components if the actual woofer is better for sq.
I was thinking about the Rockford t2s, but if there is a set somewhere at that price that is equal or better in sq id likke to hear.

sjv13; Thx. My android is complicated using the web sometimes.

Thx for all the input. Ive learned alot since joining this forum. Its great.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Well, I have coax in the front, but also a pair of tweets in the dash, which i could move around. I only want to swap to components if the actual woofer is better for sq.
I was thinking about the Rockford t2s, but if there is a set somewhere at that price that is equal or better in sq id likke to hear.

sjv13; Thx. My android is complicated using the web sometimes.

Thx for all the input. Ive learned alot since joining this forum. Its great.

6x9s and SQ aren't normally associated with each other. My recommendation would be to remove the 6x9s and make a baffle out of MDF so you could mount a 6.5". There are better choices than that Rockford for sure, especially if you're willing to step you budget up a smidge. Under 200 bucks there's a plethora of solid comp choices like Focal Access, JBL MS, ID CTX, Massive CK6V, and CDT CL-61 for starters.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 01:10 PM
There are better choices than that Rockford for sure, especially if you're willing to step you budget up a smidge. Under 200 bucks there's a plethora of solid comp choices like Focal Access, JBL MS, ID CTX, Massive CK6V, and CDT CL-61 for starters.

Hmm.. Got a few links to the comps for those brands? And would the sq really be better than a pair of t2s you think? Rockford has me pretty confident but then again i dont have experince with alot of diff brands.
And how much to go up on the bujdget to get an amazing set of comps?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Hmm.. Got a few links to the comps for those brands? And would the sq really be better than a pair of t2s you think? Rockford has me pretty confident but then again i dont have experince with alot of diff brands.

Yes, definitely. I have a video of me demoing the JBL comps since they're installed in my car. Here you go for those:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EXAbMCzjjPU

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM

First you should see what the mounting depth is that you have to work with. I know for me, that played a big part in the speakers I got, because I have a pretty shallow space to mount them (2.3"). So that narrowed the playing field a lot for me.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
mylows10 ; can help you out if you choose to go CDT or Massive

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

First you should see what the mounting depth is that you have to work with. I know for me, that played a big part in the speakers I got, because I have a pretty shallow space to mount them (2.3"). So that narrowed the playing field a lot for me.

Did you ever think about using MDF rings to space out your speakers? That's what a lot of us end up doing to clear the back wall.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes, definitely. I have a video of me demoing the JBL comps since they're installed in my car. Here you go for those:
**SNIP**

Sometimes I wish I had a CD player :P

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Did you ever think about using MDF rings to space out your speakers? That's what a lot of us end up doing to clear the back wall.

I dont know how. And I think I can go about 0.5-1" out more. Not really sure how much clearance I have until I hit the door panel.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
SE makes prefab rings. Then all you'd need is to weatherproof them somehow. I just used Plasti-Dip from Lowe's as it was super cheap and more than effective.

The Install Bay SR6 One Pair of 6-3/4" x 3/4" MDF Speaker Rings (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20623_The-Install-Bay-SR6.html)

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
SE makes prefab rings. Then all you'd need is to weatherproof them somehow. I just used Plasti-Dip from Lowe's as it was super cheap and more than effective.

The Install Bay SR6 One Pair of 6-3/4" x 3/4" MDF Speaker Rings (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20623_The-Install-Bay-SR6.html)

So I would screw the speaker into that? And then how do I attach the baffle to the door? Here is what I already have that came stock.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
You would screw that in place over the baffle you see your speaker mounted into right now. You should also consider sealing off that area behind the baffle. You're losing a lot of midbass right now if that's how they're installed. Here's how mine look ATM:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bRm4Xu-xb3g/UOEQZNszWMI/AAAAAAAAGgA/yA6xsONiE4A/s821/1B54D5C2-1FC3-4F7F-AAB7-E104D565F43F.JPG

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I see you have deadner away from the area of the speaker, what exactly are you trying to cover over there. And what material is that.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I see you have deadner away from the area of the speaker, what exactly are you trying to cover over there. And what material is that.

It's Audio Technix 60mil and what you're doing is mass-loading the doors so nothing can vibrate and cause resonance. I went heavy around the speaker baffle to make sure there weren't any air gaps and to decouple the speakers from the doors themselves. Behind the deadener is a CCF ring to help with the decoupling. Looks like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2jPkxc2UybY/UNeFLZRwy5I/AAAAAAAAGZA/X0nIoJnf-DY/s821/IMG_0103.JPG

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
You would screw that in place over the baffle you see your speaker mounted into right now. You should also consider sealing off that area behind the baffle. You're losing a lot of midbass right now if that's how they're installed. Here's how mine look ATM:
**SNIP**

Yeah! I sure feel like I'm losing a lot of midbass. What do you suggest I do to seal off that area? Just put deadener around that plastic bracket so there is no more gap?

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Neat. Ill take all things into consideration tonight, check out those brands.
One more, how can mylows help me...........

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah! I sure feel like I'm losing a lot of midbass. What do you suggest I do to seal off that area? Just put deadener around that plastic bracket so there is no more gap?

The CCF weatherstripping would probably be more effective given how much of a gap there is. It's cheap as all getout, too. Use that to pack in around the openings, then seal the rest off with the AT. Only draw is you're going to get a little butyl on your speakers, but that should only be an issue if you want them looking minty when you uninstall them. Here's a link to the weatherstripping:

EDIT: Posted the 3/8, not the 3/4". Here's the one I used:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_66682-81-02311_0__?productId=1096049&Ntt=closed+cell+foam&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dclosed%2Bcell%2Bfoam&facetInfo=

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Same question here.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Neat. Ill take all things into consideration tonight, check out those brands.
One more, how can mylows help me...........

He's an authorized dealer for a bunch of brands including American Bass. Matter of fact, he's the only online authorized retailer for AB. He can explain the benefits of each and work out pricing with you.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
The CCF weatherstripping would probably be more effective given how much of a gap there is. It's cheap as all getout, too. Use that to pack in around the openings, then seal the rest off with the AT. Only draw is you're going to get a little butyl on your speakers, but that should only be an issue if you want them looking minty when you uninstall them. Here's a link to the weatherstripping:

EDIT: Posted the 3/8, not the 3/4". Here's the one I used:
Shop M-D Building Products 10'L x 3/4"W Gray Closed-Cell Foam Window Weather Strip at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_66682-81-02311_0__?productId=1096049&Ntt=closed+cell+foam&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dclosed%2Bcell%2Bfoam&facetInfo=)

I have seen that before when I got some open cell foam to make a better seal between the speaker and door panel (added after the picture). Problem is that I couldnt find it in a thick enough size. And the way they make it, makes it want to lay flat (so the adhesive sticks down) and I need it to make a circle in a way that isnt natural for the material to bend. Not sure if you understand what I'm saying. I had to use double sided foam tape instead of the adhesive on the open cell foam I used to make it stick because the adhesive strip already on it is in the wrong place. Not sure if that makes sense.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I have seen that before when I got some open cell foam to make a better seal between the speaker and door panel (added after the picture). Problem is that I couldnt find it in a thick enough size. And the way they make it, makes it want to lay flat (so the adhesive sticks down) and I need it to make a circle in a way that isnt natural for the material to bend. Not sure if you understand what I'm saying. I had to use double sided foam tape instead of the adhesive on the open cell foam I used to make it stick because the adhesive strip already on it is in the wrong place. Not sure if that makes sense.

It makes sense. If you can get to a second layer, the pressure of both layers will hold it in place. Open Cell Foam won't do jack, though, since you're trying to keep sound from passing through the medium.

calebkhill
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
neo_styles; Got a pic with your door panel on?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Not at the moment, I'll try to remember to get one soon. It doesn't look like anything special though.

mylows10
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I have a set of rings I'd sell you cheap I also sell other brands in components as well. Going to be picking up hertz and focals really soon

sjv13
01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
It makes sense. If you can get to a second layer, the pressure of both layers will hold it in place. Open Cell Foam won't do jack, though, since you're trying to keep sound from passing through the medium.

I used the open cell because that's what it said to do on keep hope alive's post about door deadening. I know the main part of deadening is the mdf baffle and closing off the gap, plus mass-loading the door. But I thought I'd just do something at least, and it was easy.

I don't quite know what you mean about two layers deep. How did you get your foam to make that nice circle?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I compressed the foam when I laid it in a ring, so it looked all bunched up, then fitted the speaker over the foam while it was still expanding. Had to work quick to make it look that good lol. It doesn't want to stay in place without pressure acting on it.

And I was talking about two layers deep in those gaps on the side.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I compressed the foam when I laid it in a ring, so it looked all bunched up, then fitted the speaker over the foam while it was still expanding. Had to work quick to make it look that good lol. It doesn't want to stay in place without pressure acting on it.

And I was talking about two layers deep in those gaps on the side.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Did your ccf have the adhesive strip on it too? I'm not sure I'll be able to find it in a wide enough size to fill the gap all the way. Also, where did you get the Audio Technix 60 mil? How much did you use? Do you like it? How much was it and was it worth it?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Did your ccf have the adhesive strip on it too? I'm not sure I'll be able to find it in a wide enough size to fill the gap all the way. Also, where did you get the Audio Technix 60 mil? How much did you use? Do you like it? How much was it and was it worth it?

That's why I was suggesting doing double layers and, yes, mine was the stuff that had adhesive on one side. Got the AT deadener in Coleman's giveaway, but it's available on his site/ebay and the price is more than fair IMHO. I had 10sq ft total and used all but one of the sheets on the doors and the remainder for under the rear passenger seats. Was intending to use it on the trunk, but the courtesy panel on my Passat is a PITA to work with.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
That's why I was suggesting doing double layers and, yes, mine was the stuff that had adhesive on one side. Got the AT deadener in Coleman's giveaway, but it's available on his site/ebay and the price is more than fair IMHO. I had 10sq ft total and used all but one of the sheets on the doors and the remainder for under the rear passenger seats. Was intending to use it on the trunk, but the courtesy panel on my Passat is a PITA to work with.

Link? I dont know coleman.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Sound Deadening and Car Audio Wiring by Audio Technix - #1 Dynamat Sound Deadener Replacement! (http://www.audiotechnix.com)

Also super cheap for wiring, has a new line of subs, and is prototyping a line of amplifiers ATM. He's on his way up lol.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Sound Deadening and Car Audio Wiring by Audio Technix - #1 Dynamat Sound Deadener Replacement! (http://www.audiotechnix.com)

Also super cheap for wiring, has a new line of subs, and is prototyping a line of amplifiers ATM. He's on his way up lol.

And as far as application, did you use a heat gun and roller?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
And as far as application, did you use a heat gun and roller?

Nope. Just hands and the butt end of my utility knife. This stuff is ridiculously easy to apply.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Nope. Just hands and the butt end of my utility knife. This stuff is ridiculously easy to apply.

Oh that's awesome. Any experience with his 1/0 gauge wire, or heard anything about it? I need about 45ft.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Not his, but I loved KnuKonceptz' 0ga CCA. The stuff is less than 2 bucks a foot and CRAZY flexible. It makes the 4ga GME I have as power wire right now look like a wimpy steel rod. Waiting on some AT 4ga OFC for comparison.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Not his, but I loved KnuKonceptz' 0ga CCA. The stuff is less than 2 bucks a foot and CRAZY flexible. It makes the 4ga GME I have as power wire right now look like a wimpy steel rod. Waiting on some AT 4ga OFC for comparison.

You used the CCA? Interesting. Thought you'd use OFC :P

I need it for:
1) Big 3
2) Battery in front to distribution block in back
3) Block to sub amp
4) Sub amp to ground

EDIT: Not for the amp I have now. I want to add another type-r, so I'd get an aq2200 or something like that. Used maybe.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
You used the CCA? Interesting. Thought you'd use OFC :P

I need it for:
1) Big 3
2) Battery in front to distribution block in back
3) Block to sub amp
4) Sub amp to ground

For the short lengths I'm running, CCA works fine. Only downsides it has to OFC is it gets hotter and has 30 fewer amps of current draw. I can live with that. I'll keep you posted with my dealings with AT as far as timeliness is concerned, but Knu was super-fast and definitely top-notch quality. Just make sure you get ring terminals for the 0ga as it is DEFINITELY oversized and won't fit in most standard fittings for 0ga

sjv13
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
For the short lengths I'm running, CCA works fine. Only downsides it has to OFC is it gets hotter and has 30 fewer amps of current draw. I can live with that. I'll keep you posted with my dealings with AT as far as timeliness is concerned, but Knu was super-fast and definitely top-notch quality. Just make sure you get ring terminals for the 0ga as it is DEFINITELY oversized and won't fit in most standard fittings for 0ga

Ok. Well the only ring terminal I need is for hooking it to the battery right?

And about fuses... What amp fuse should I put by the battery? And the block I have is one 1/0ga in ---> two 4ga out. Each side is fused independently. I'll need to trim the 1/0ga that goes out to the sub amp or get a gauge reducer. What size fuse should go on the 1/0 ---> sub side? and what size fuse should go on the 1/0 ---> 4channel side (using 4ga).

EDIT: This is the block I have: http://www.dblink.net/detail.php?id=NANLFB02&product=Dual%20Position%20ANL%20Power%20Distributi on%20Block&series=Nickle%20Power%20Fuse%20Blocks&kind=Power%20Blocks&series_more=Anl%20Fuse%20Holder

mylows10
01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
i deal with coleman a lot ,cuz i'm one of his dealers as well ,the cca wire is very nice for what it is and the deadener is top notch .if you cant get a hold of him then you can get what ever you need thru me.i also sell big 3 kits complete ,just have to bolt them up .

sjv13
01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
i deal with coleman a lot ,cuz i'm one of his dealers as well ,the cca wire is very nice for what it is and the deadener is top notch .if you cant get a hold of him then you can get what ever you need thru me.i also sell big 3 kits complete ,just have to bolt them up .

How much better is the silver tinned copper wire than the CCA? And how much worse is is than the OFC? It's just a mix of 30% ofc and 70% cca, right?

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Maybe you can ask him about my order then. It was placed on the 28th and I haven't received any shipping notification or confirmation from him that payment was received.

mylows10
01-06-2013, 05:33 PM
send me the info needed and i'll ask him

mylows10
01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
How much better is the silver tinned copper wire than the CCA? And how much worse is is than the OFC? It's just a mix of 30% ofc and 70% cca, right?

yes this is right but it also has more strands than the ofc or the cca .actually is a pretty nice wire for what it is ,and takes the same power as the ofc .so i'd it isn't better than the ofc ,about the same performance wise

sjv13
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
yes this is right but it also has more strands than the ofc or the cca .actually is a pretty nice wire for what it is ,and takes the same power as the ofc .so i'd it isn't better than the ofc ,about the same performance wise

How is the OFC better than? What justifies the higher price?

mylows10
01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
100% copper ,which is what the competitors like myself would rather run

sjv13
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
100% copper ,which is what the competitors like myself would rather run

99.96% copper :P

But if it takes the same power, then I dont see what's better?

mylows10
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
99.96% copper :P

But if it takes the same power, then I dont see what's better?

true , but the heat factor on some of the hybrid and cca wires is something that most competitors dont wanna deal with or worry about

calebkhill
01-09-2013, 01:10 AM
sjv13; neo_styles; Liking hertz components. Checked them quick but ill look more into them. They look nice.

If i can afford these are nice
Hertz HSK 165 6.5" 2-way Hi-Energy Component Speaker System HSK165:Amazon:Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001KOYXGC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357707722&sr=8-1&pi=SL75)

If not then these look good
ESK 165 HERTZ 6.5" 2-WAY HI-ENERGY COMPONENT SPEAKERS MIDS TWEETERS CROSSOVERS:Amazon:Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004943QIQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357707722&sr=8-4&pi=SL75)

Thoughts?
Ill check some others out later and post back here.

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
HSK, definitely. Just make sure you do a proper install on those and you'll be more than satisfied with the midbass. Crossovers are a bit big, so plan on trunk-mounting those.

calebkhill
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Sounds good. HSK?
Im running some 15s right now, those 6x9s get a little overpowered by them. Think with those components on the proper amp will shine through the bass?

neo_styles
01-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Sounds good. HSK?
Im running some 15s right now, those 6x9s get a little overpowered by them. Think with those components on the proper amp will shine through the bass?

I don't see why not. They're nice speakers. If you had a bigger budget you could step up to the Mille. Those things are beast.

calebkhill
01-09-2013, 01:28 AM
lol id imagine

calebkhill
01-10-2013, 06:52 AM
neo_styles; Really liking what i see with Rainbow

neo_styles
01-10-2013, 11:06 AM
neo_styles; Really liking what i see with Rainbow

I had the sound line comps and coax in my 04 ion redline and they're definitely amazing with midbass. They just felt kinda lifeless to me, though. I guess the best way to describe them would have been "clinical," where the music's there, but it lacked soul.

calebkhill
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
How are those jbl's treating you

neo_styles
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
How are those jbl's treating you

Still digging em. Waiting on my RCA splitters to show up so I can give them more juice. The eclipse amp I have is rated at 45Wx4 and 120x2 bridged at 4ohms. Definitely would rather have the 120.

calebkhill
01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Yea. they 80 rms?
Whats the splitters for?

calebkhill
01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
"clinical," where the music's there, but it lacked soul.

Clinical just means lacking soul? I saw this used to describe another set somewhere figured id ask