PDA

View Full Version : Box Cosmetics

H1PH0P
04-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok I just finished building a box
Now I need some suggestions on what I can do cosmetic wise, something beside carpet
Can you add pictures also
THANKS

davidfre21
04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
vynal, paint, glass

boister77
04-14-2004, 05:57 PM
you can try duplicolor truck bed liner. it will give results similar to what you can find on pro audio speakers from jbl, eaw, ev, and so on. i personally want to try it but i have yet the time to do it. if you do try it, please post your results. thanks!

ramos
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
What does the rest of your interior look like ? There are several different ways to cover a box besides carpet. But if it looks like poo poo when installed cause it doesn't come close to matching anything in the interior..........:)

Benny212
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
you can try duplicolor truck bed liner. it will give results similar to what you can find on pro audio speakers from jbl, eaw, ev, and so on. i personally want to try it but i have yet the time to do it. if you do try it, please post your results. thanks!
I've tried duplicolor, it looks pretty good at first, but it scratches REALLY easily and if you use your trunk for anything besides audio it wont look nice for very long. I dont have a digital camera otherwise I'd put up some pictures.

Pete
04-15-2004, 04:35 PM
just take the box in to a line-x or rhino coating place ... they do color matching and will probably spray a box for pretty cheap.

kingpin_jeffie
04-15-2004, 07:57 PM
shag carpeting..........

or perhaps a Chinchilla fur wrapped box and not that faux crap im talking the real stuff. As a matter of fact my roomates pair chewed up my shoes so Ill give you the first two skins for free!

boister77
04-15-2004, 08:04 PM
I've tried duplicolor, it looks pretty good at first, but it scratches REALLY easily and if you use your trunk for anything besides audio it wont look nice for very long. I dont have a digital camera otherwise I'd put up some pictures.

how many coats did you put? also, did you use the spray-on or paint-on version? i read somewhere that the spay-on version is much stronger. if it's not as durable as i think, i may not want to try it.

Pete
04-15-2004, 11:08 PM
what about wallpaper or that contact paper that old people put on the shelves in their cabinets?

Benny212
04-15-2004, 11:25 PM
how many coats did you put? also, did you use the spray-on or paint-on version? i read somewhere that the spay-on version is much stronger. if it's not as durable as i think, i may not want to try it.
I used the paint on, 3 coats. I'd say try the spray on version then put up a post about it, if it ***** then atleast you will probably stop a couple of other people from wasting their money

misterio
04-15-2004, 11:30 PM
what store can i get line-x or rhino spray on bedliner from? close stores include: walmart, home depot, lowes,....

boister77
04-16-2004, 12:01 AM
what store can i get line-x or rhino spray on bedliner from? close stores include: walmart, home depot, lowes,....

from what i know, you can't purchase these products. you have to go to a licensed installer or something like that. if you really want line-x or rhino, your best bet is to contact them and ask for the nearest dealer.

LoneRanger
04-17-2004, 01:33 AM
I always smear mine with monkey poop. Not only does it look nice, but it makes the car smell monkey-poop-o-rific :)

sumone
04-17-2004, 02:07 AM
what about wallpaper or that contact paper that old people put on the shelves in their cabinets?

good idea!!! we have some "home sweet home" wallpaper lying around!

ramos
04-19-2004, 08:24 AM
I always smear mine with monkey poop. Not only does it look nice, but it makes the car smell monkey-poop-o-rific :)

I prefer skunk fur. The two tone looks cool. And the added smell is just a bonus on the side. :)

Drum437
04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I had my box sprayed with Rhino liner, my box is about 5 cubic feet. and it cost 137 dollars tax and all. I think it turned out great, although it smelled for about 2 weeks....lol

brandontw
04-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Well all sarcasm aside, i have tried the spray can of bed liner like from wal mart and was nothing but frustrated with the results. there is some bad pictures of it in the gallery:

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12540

And the stuff doesnt go far at all, i used 3 cans just on the front of my box and the stuff isnt cheap! i just did the front and used black spray paint on the rest, it may not look to good, but it is my first box, so oh well. But here is where i went wrong:
i srayed it on at first to thick and it started to not look level, so in a panic i grabbed somthin and started to smear it around to get it to look flat, and succeded part way but then i had places where you could tell what happened, but by that time it was drying and i was sol. so if your gonna try it i might suggest getting it by the gallon and using a roller or something cuase its like 17 bucks a can for the spray stuff i think, and a can will cover about half of one side of your box with 3 coats. getting the box all ready and taking it to a bedliner installer might be the best bet, and prolly cheaper, and more durable, and itll look better, ant theyll match colors, ah hell, why didnt i do that?

Where do you live by the way if its too small of a town there might not be anyone that does it just start callin around.

Puggsley456
04-20-2004, 08:03 PM
What about Chameleon vinyl? I was looking at it myself.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/echvi.html

pj2003
04-20-2004, 10:15 PM
what about house siding.........help protect ur bueatiful box.....oh and on the top put roof shingles

TheVanMan
04-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Well all sarcasm aside, i have tried the spray can of bed liner like from wal mart and was nothing but frustrated with the results. there is some bad pictures of it in the gallery:

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12540

And the stuff doesnt go far at all, i used 3 cans just on the front of my box and the stuff isnt cheap! i just did the front and used black spray paint on the rest, it may not look to good, but it is my first box, so oh well. But here is where i went wrong:
i srayed it on at first to thick and it started to not look level, so in a panic i grabbed somthin and started to smear it around to get it to look flat, and succeded part way but then i had places where you could tell what happened, but by that time it was drying and i was sol. so if your gonna try it i might suggest getting it by the gallon and using a roller or something cuase its like 17 bucks a can for the spray stuff i think, and a can will cover about half of one side of your box with 3 coats. getting the box all ready and taking it to a bedliner installer might be the best bet, and prolly cheaper, and more durable, and itll look better, ant theyll match colors, ah hell, why didnt i do that?

Where do you live by the way if its too small of a town there might not be anyone that does it just start callin around.

It doesn't look to bad. Not bad for you first box, good job.

ramos
04-21-2004, 08:48 AM
On the serious side what about laminate ? They sell all different kinds wood grain, metallic, etc. It's pretty easy to use. A little contact cement, And use a router to trim it up clean around the edges. :)

BIG_SUPERMAN72
04-21-2004, 10:38 PM
How much would Carpet be for something like this? Has hole cut out now. have to to sand down edges where we drilled holes throw so Jigsaw could cut proper.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1742/Pict0003.JPG

ramos
04-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Depending upon the type of carpet probably in the realm of $20-$25. :)

boister77
04-22-2004, 07:58 PM
for those of you who have tried duplicolor truck bed liner, did you primer the mdr prior to applying the truck bed liner?

ImaLegacy
04-22-2004, 08:12 PM
what about building the box out of something like pure oak and staining it? with chrome grills? would that look kewl?

iakona808
04-22-2004, 11:28 PM
my friend and i are gonna custom fit my box to my car now. were gonna make it so it fits in flush and snug. the cars with fiberglass built boxes are off the hook.
YA No what? Diamond plating would look filthy!

EricM
04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
On the serious side what about laminate ? They sell all different kinds wood grain, metallic, etc. It's pretty easy to use. A little contact cement, And use a router to trim it up clean around the edges. :)

I saw a box with carbon fiber laminate, and it looked *******. The sheets he used to do it were expensive, but I've seen fake stuff that's like a big sticker that would work and be easy to cut and apply.

BIG_SUPERMAN72
04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
fiberglass...

90towncar
04-30-2004, 11:47 AM
glass, send your boxes to me for refinishing "show quality"

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/218000-218999/218598_354_full.jpg

XTRMEASURES
04-30-2004, 02:08 PM
soak fiberglass resin on it, then sand with a light sandpaper, then prime/paint it...

jamie