PDA

View Full Version : Possibly blow speaker?

Callingindogs
01-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I had a post before about my speakers making crackling noise and that I think it was due to a bad amp. I got a new head unit (Pioneer 80prs) kicker and monster rca cables and got a new 2 channel amp for the two back speakers (Fosgate t400-2) the back speakers are cdt hd 690 cf's. I've been suggest it to be a bad ground, voltage drop, bad amp, but I don't think it's any of those, the voltage stays constant at around 13.8-14.0 volts. I think it could be that the speakers are blown, though i've never played them over powered. when I first got them I forgot to turn the setting to high pass and played it and it made a popping sound from the cone bottoming out. Which I think is why it does that (oops) anyone have any input or would they agree with me?

Callingindogs
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Anyone?

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
bump

sjv13
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Push on it. Does it make a scratchy sound?

Below20hzonly
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
sounds like you might have blew it when you didnt have the HPF on but, try hooking it up to another receiver, like in your house and see if it still makes that noise.

sjv13
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
sounds like you might have blew it when you didnt have the HPF on but, try hooking it up to another receiver, like in your house and see if it still makes that noise.

It's safe to do that?

Below20hzonly
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
why woundnt it be just as long as the settings are correct, it would be the same thing.
It's safe to do that?

sjv13
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
why woundnt it be just as long as the settings are correct, it would be the same thing.

But most car audio speakers are 4 ohm, and most home audio equipment put out their correct power at 8ohms right? Is the home audio equipment safe to see a 4 ohm load?

Below20hzonly
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I have three different receivers in my house, 2 pioneers and 1 Jvc and they are both rated at 4 ohms, some may be 8 but i dont think its nearly as common and itll be fine if he just shows the speaker a little bit of power to see if it makes any noise.
But most car audio speakers are 4 ohm, and most home audio equipment put out their correct power at 8ohms right? Is the home audio equipment safe to see a 4 ohm load?

sjv13
01-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I have three different receivers in my house, 2 pioneers and 1 Jvc and they are both rated at 4 ohms, some may be 8 but i dont think its nearly as common and itll be fine if he just shows the speaker a little bit of power to see if it makes any noise.

Touché

VWBobby
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Its perfectly fine to power speakers off a home receiver at moderate volume levels. I wouldn't free air a speaker at half volume, but turning it up a little to hear how it sounds wont hurt anything.

If the speaker didn't blow, its possible it was damaged from bottoming out. You can tear spiders, surrounds, and even damage the coil former if it contacts the slug.
I like to HPF my main speakers around 80-120hz depending on how well my subs play in the higher range (80-100hz)...

Callingindogs
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking it's damaged not actually blown, I didn't play it loud with the low pass but I think it could have been enough to damage it, it doesn't a low volumes but it makes noise way below it's rated rms handling.
Its perfectly fine to power speakers off a home receiver at moderate volume levels. I wouldn't free air a speaker at half volume, but turning it up a little to hear how it sounds wont hurt anything.

If the speaker didn't blow, its possible it was damaged from bottoming out. You can tear spiders, surrounds, and even damage the coil former if it contacts the slug.
I like to HPF my main speakers around 80-120hz depending on how well my subs play in the higher range (80-100hz)...