PDA

View Full Version : Dimpled aeroport partsexpress

DFW40
01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Has anyone tried the new dimpled 4 inch port from partsexpress. Has golfball like dimples to increase airflow I just ordered one I assume it works better or else they would have not made them I will try it in my bandpass which has the regular 4 inch to see if makes any difference on portnoise or tuning etc. Precision Port Dimpled 4" Flared Port Tube Kit 268-353 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-353)

SMS
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
really dont think i would hear a difference if there the same length, but let us know.

Imtjnotu
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Psp isnt crappy so maybe this will work better

mylows10
01-02-2013, 10:33 PM
they are just trying to get better airflow like the original aero ports .like what i have .i actually have both and the aero's are louder than the psp by 4/10's of a db

DFW40
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I am not expecting any difference but with golfballs the dimples can make a lot of difference and i guess theoretically if not done right it could add resistance. Maybe I will get more distance off of the tee with these.

nvturbo
01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I have the regular flared Precision port and doubt those will make much of difference.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Probably not any difference

Jroo
01-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I would imagine that the ave guy isnt going to hear any difference on daily listening. It might help somebody who has a port was too small and making noise to start with. I guess the biggest help would be to the guy that is in the lane trying to get a higher score, this might give a slight edge.

mklett33
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, interesting, please report back with your findings.

DFW40
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Will do I do not have a db meter but the 4 inch aero I have now has some port noise when it is cranking so I will see if there is any reduction in port noise.

bhsdriller
01-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I always wanted to try a countersink bit on the inside of the box....make tons of dimples like on a golfball all on the inside

pro-rabbit
01-03-2013, 09:21 PM
We have swapped them in a few enclosures here and didn't hear a difference, but we didn't meter the cars so no idea on the meter. If he comes by again I will try and remember to check it out. I don't think there will be much if any difference though.

dbeez
01-03-2013, 09:31 PM
In theory dimples in the port and flare area should disrupt the airflow you normally want the port to be as smooth and free flowing as possible.

pro-rabbit
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
That was my view on them as well. I just don't see how this can help really.

I have tested the original areo port against psp and in 99% of our tests there was no or next no difference(meaning less then .1db)

bhsdriller
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
That was my view on them as well. I just don't see how this can help really.

I have tested the original areo port against psp and in 99% of our tests there was no or next no difference(meaning less then .1db)

what are you guys talking about when you're saying the original aero port....I thought psp was the only one around, but I haven't been in the game for that long either

nvturbo
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I always wanted to try a countersink bit on the inside of the box....make tons of dimples like on a golfball all on the inside

That's a lot of work....to achieve MINIMAL or no gain. I wouldn't do it.

bhsdriller
01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
That's a lot of work....to achieve MINIMAL or no gain. I wouldn't do it.

That's why I've never tried it lol

gumby688
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I am using the dimpled ports and picked up .2 db's with them over the regular but hell .2 could have been a difference in air temp or humidity or a million other things.

Falcons
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
im just going for regular aeroports. no sense in looking for 10ths when im going to be a daily beater.

mat3833
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
the dimples on a golfball actually INCREACE air resistance.... just a friendly FYI. without the dimples the ball would go wherever it wants. with the dimples it gives you more control of the ball based on what spin you put on it and what type of ball you use(diferent balls have diferent diple patterns.)

based on that information the port should actually give you slightly more air resistance which should make the port "seem" longer than it is.

Matt

RAM_Designs
01-05-2013, 02:22 AM
This makes me think of that Mythbusters episode when they dimpled the car.

mylows10
01-05-2013, 02:36 AM
the original aero ports are made in italy and very hard to get in the states ,i have 2 of them and have tried them both in the same box and the real aero's were louder

TaylorFade
01-05-2013, 02:45 AM
The theory is sound. You actually want turbulence at the terminus'. But you want laminar flow through the pipe. That's why they don't sell dimpled pipes (or want to dimple the entire slot port). I haven't tested these, but should be good for a few tenths. Probably not worth the added cost in a daily.

And FWIW, the dimples on a golf ball increase the turbulence, but decrease drag due to the size of the wake they create vs. a smooth ball. but... ladies like smooth balls :)

Phoenix Risen
01-05-2013, 02:57 AM
i kinda wish they made the dimpled ones in 6"...

TaylorFade
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
i kinda wish they made the dimpled ones in 6"...

Me too. I'd be all over that ****.

Phoenix Risen
01-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Me too. I'd be all over that ****.

a bunch of us should just start emailing them asking for the dimpled 6", if they get enough emails they will likely work on getting them out. they just need to see that there would be a market for it.

mat3833
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
The theory is sound. You actually want turbulence at the terminus'. But you want laminar flow through the pipe. That's why they don't sell dimpled pipes (or want to dimple the entire slot port). I haven't tested these, but should be good for a few tenths. Probably not worth the added cost in a daily.

And FWIW, the dimples on a golf ball increase the turbulence, but decrease drag due to the size of the wake they create vs. a smooth ball. but... ladies like smooth balls :)

sigh, technicly you are right. the dimples themselves increase drag. but they create a "boundary layer" that reduces overall drag. diferent patterns have diferent efffects. but overall its the same. didnt figure anyone on here Golfs or i would have explained further. lol

guess this may qualify as taylorwin V.2 huh?

Matt

TaylorFade
01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
sigh, technicly you are right. the dimples themselves increase drag. but they create a "boundary layer" that reduces overall drag. diferent patterns have diferent efffects. but overall its the same. didnt figure anyone on here Golfs or i would have explained further. lol

guess this may qualify as taylorwin V.2 huh?

Matt

Lol. 4.6 handicap here, bro.

Golf was my CA before I got into CA. Lol.

mat3833
01-05-2013, 09:15 PM
my grandpa was crazy good at golf. i **** ***. well not at mini golf. on the putting green i own. lol

Matt