PDA

View Full Version : Bout to pull the trigger! 80prs

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 02:58 AM
I think I've decided it's the HU for me. Will be used passive for a while, but eventually I plan on going active.
Is there any other HU I should consider? the 80prs is as much cash as I'd liketo spend. And I'd prefer to buy new with warranty (especially i fit's a pioneer lol)
I'm really tempted to just keep my x693 and not go active and save some cash. I do not want any external processing.

Imtjnotu
01-02-2013, 03:01 AM
had this deck since the second week of its release.....buy it......i love mine

West
01-02-2013, 03:07 AM
I think I've decided it's the HU for me. Will be used passive for a while, but eventually I plan on going active.
Is there any other HU I should consider? the 80prs is as much cash as I'd liketo spend. And I'd prefer to buy new with warranty (especially i fit's a pioneer lol)
I'm really tempted to just keep my x693 and not go active and save some cash. I do not want any external processing.

Yes. Go for it!
The only other deck I would consider in that price range is the Clarion cz702
Pioneer wins for the autotune.

TaylorFade
01-02-2013, 03:17 AM
It is, unfortunately, your best bet in that price range. Unless you want to save a few bucks and get the Clarion. A bit less EQ and one less USB input for ~ $75 less.

Hope yours doesn't have noise! Good luck.

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 03:20 AM

I knew I'd hear that from you ;)
Have you gotten used to the constant beeping at every button press?
Not getting any noise?

Yes. Go for it!
The only other deck I would consider in that price range is the Clarion cz702
Pioneer wins for the autotune.

Ya I was looking at the clarion. Seems very similar, but the 80prs seems worth the few extra bucks.
I love my x693,the xover flexibility and features are great, Just wish it was active.

gckless
01-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Love mine. No noise on mine.

splwj47
01-02-2013, 03:22 AM
You just have to he very careful hooking it up. Disconect battery until you have HU installed and rca hooked up to both deck and amp.

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 03:25 AM
It is, unfortunately, your best bet in that price range. Unless you want to save a few bucks and get the Clarion. A bit less EQ and one less USB input for ~ $75 less.

Hope yours doesn't have noise! Good luck.

But how does the processing itself compare? The Pioneers pretty impressive imo.
And 16 eq bands vs 5 is a big difference to me
I do end up listening to the radio, so the option for HD radio on the Clarion is tempting. I've never listened to HD radio before though lol

TaylorFade
01-02-2013, 03:42 AM
I do end up listening to the radio, so the option for HD radio on the Clarion is tempting. I've never listened to HD radio before though lol

Well... to be fair, it's a 5 band parametric. It doesn't translate exactly, but parametric is far superior to fixed band EQ. All of my trouble spots seem to be RIGHT in between the stupid fixed bands. How annoying. The Pioneer does have independant L/R control though if that's important to you.

Also, no sub level control on the 80 in netwrok mode. I just find that incredibly aggravating. And the crossover limitations are lame. 1.2khz? Gtfoh.

Autotune is overrated if you're putting that in the plus column. It WOULD be great if you could tweak it afterward, but nope.

The 80 does charge your phone fast as **** though. Like, as fast or faster than pluggin it into the wall. That's a HUGE plus for me. But every once in a while, the screen will black out while using Pandora or iPod and I can't control anything but the volume. I have to scroll all the way around and restart the app. So f'n random.

Honestly, you can't beat the Pioneer. But the noise problems I am having have finally outweighed the good about it so mine is gone.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-02-2013, 03:43 AM

I have a 9855 for sale if that interests you at all?

West
01-02-2013, 03:48 AM

The clarion does give you a "q" option to adjust the bandwidth of the eq :)

HD radio is hit or miss depending on your proximity to the source. If you are rural than you DO NOT want to use HD radio.
The radius is about 20 miles from the source of the station. If you proceed away from the source the HD signal starts jumping in and out... it makes the station skip around like a scratched record. But you should be able to disable the HD function if it becomes a problem.

West
01-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Well... to be fair, it's a 5 band parametric. It doesn't translate exactly, but parametric is far superior to fixed band EQ. All of my trouble spots seem to be RIGHT in between the stupid fixed bands. How annoying. The Pioneer does have independant L/R control though if that's important to you.

Also, no sub level control on the 80 in netwrok mode. I just find that incredibly aggravating. And the crossover limitations are lame. 1.2khz? Gtfoh.

Autotune is overrated if you're putting that in the plus column. It WOULD be great if you could tweak it afterward, but nope.

The 80 does charge your phone fast as **** though. Like, as fast or faster than pluggin it into the wall. That's a HUGE plus for me. But every once in a while, the screen will black out while using Pandora or iPod and I can't control anything but the volume. I have to scroll all the way around and restart the app. So f'n random.

Honestly, you can't beat the Pioneer. But the noise problems I am having have finally outweighed the good about it so mine is gone.

Taylor you sound like me man. All the companies need to up their game in the HU department. :)

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 03:54 AM

So what are you going to replace it with?
I scanned over the xover specs, I'll look more closely now.

I have a 9855 for sale if that interests you at all?

No thanks :) does my x693 interest you? ;)

gckless
01-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Forgot to look before I installed mine, and read both ways a couple places: Pico fuse in this or no? I'm going to be pulling mine out this weekend so I can look then if no one knows definitively.

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Forgot to look before I installed mine, and read both ways a couple places: Pico fuse in this or no? I'm going to be pulling mine out this weekend so I can look then if no one knows definitively.

Can't recall where I read it, but I read that the pico fuse was replaced with a capacitor, being more resilient, but still susceptible to the same problem

Bettr n' Revrse
01-02-2013, 04:39 AM

No thanks :) does my x693 interest you? ;)

I have cd7100's now but may try an 80 as well

Yep still have the problem

TaylorFade
01-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Taylor you sound like me man. All the companies need to up their game in the HU department. :)

No ****. I mean WTF, Alpine!?!?!? There is like one other HU even in the same ballpark as the 80. The cz702. One? Really? Have you looked at how many HU's are on the market lately? Like... a billion? You 're telling me we can't stuff some active crosses, a 7 band parametric, 24 bit Burr Browns and a couple USB's into a single din for less than $400ish? I'm holding out hope someone has something up their sleeve for CES.

Either the cz702 or just forego a **** HU altogether and go back to OEM and add a DSP. Speaker level inputs keep getting more and more attractive to me. FFFUUU noise.

And honestly, the crossovers are plenty good for most folks if you aren't trying to run a 2 way with a super widbander or try some crazy hybrid 3 way front. The biggest annoyance is that the tweeter or "high" crossover only goes down to 1.2khz. Even when I was trying to run 3 way passive/active, that wasn't low enough. And forget about trying to run a full ranger like the HAT L3 or something.

Can't recall where I read it, but I read that the pico fuse was replaced with a capacitor, being more resilient, but still susceptible to the same problem

You got it. Mine is case in point. And I knew about Pioneer's problem in that area. I've had noise since day 1 of RCA install. And my **** is textbook, *******.

West
01-02-2013, 04:47 AM
No ****. I mean WTF, Alpine!?!?!? There is like one other HU even in the same ballpark as the 80. The cz702. One? Really? Have you looked at how many HU's are on the market lately? Like... a billion? You 're telling me we can't stuff some active crosses, a 7 band parametric, 24 bit Burr Browns and a couple USB's into a single din for less than $400ish? I'm holding out hope someone has something up their sleeve for CES.

Either the cz702 or just forego a **** HU altogether and go back to OEM and add a DSP. Speaker level inputs keep getting more and more attractive to me. FFFUUU noise.

And honestly, the crossovers are plenty good for most folks if you aren't trying to run a 2 way with a super widbander or try some crazy hybrid 3 way front. The biggest annoyance is that the tweeter or "high" crossover only goes down to 1.2khz. Even when I was trying to run 3 way passive/active, that wasn't low enough. And forget about trying to run a full ranger like the HAT L3 or something.

You got it. Mine is case in point. And I knew about Pioneer's problem in that area. I've had noise since day 1 of RCA install. And my **** is textbook, *******.

Burr brown is even old tech...
What sold me on the ps8 was its 32 bit dsp.
Even though cd's are recorded at 16 bit lmao...
Dvd's are supposed to have 24 bit sound.

Still it wasn't a burr brown so I wanted it.

TaylorFade
01-02-2013, 04:51 AM

Update your sig, Burr Brown hater.

West
01-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Update your sig, Burr Brown hater.

Haha I am not hating. It's 1 part of the deck and a **** important one in this digital age.
Updating sig...

West
01-02-2013, 04:57 AM
TaylorFade ; Better?

West
01-02-2013, 05:06 AM
Also taylor, what did you think of that drz-9255?

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Considering the Clarion now. I've never owned one before lol
Poll Added for shits and giggles

trumpet
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
My first active head unit limited me with a 5-band parametric EQ and it was one reason I added on a separate DSP. If you have no idea how to tune and equalizer then 5-band parametric is not a bad way to learn. You can get a taste for what the adjustments do to affect the sound without having so much on the screen to adjust that it's overwhelming. It's definitely enough to take your sound quality up a couple of notches.

The CZ702 is built to be a superb sound quality head unit without a bunch of useless frills. The price reflects the difference of what it lacks from the 80PRS. One thing about using it that I enjoy is the huge, solid feeling volume knob. I can easily adjust it with winter gloves on.

wickedwitt
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM

This.

Oh, don't take advice from TFade on this one. He's literally the only person I've heard of that had issues w/ their 80.

Slayerx
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Bump for more votes :nerd:

whitemax
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM

I'm still rocking my old processor with 6 DAC's, four of which are 20Bit Bit Burr Browns :)

Old can still be nice.

West
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm still rocking my old processor with 6 DAC's, four of which are 20Bit Bit Burr Browns :)

Old can still be nice.

I didn't mean to knock the burr browns, wanted to suggest that these companies have gotten lazy.

West
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
My first active head unit limited me with a 5-band parametric EQ and it was one reason I added on a separate DSP. If you have no idea how to tune and equalizer then 5-band parametric is not a bad way to learn. You can get a taste for what the adjustments do to affect the sound without having so much on the screen to adjust that it's overwhelming. It's definitely enough to take your sound quality up a couple of notches.

The CZ702 is built to be a superb sound quality head unit without a bunch of useless frills. The price reflects the difference of what it lacks from the 80PRS. One thing about using it that I enjoy is the huge, solid feeling volume knob. I can easily adjust it with winter gloves on.

I second that on the volume knobs.
The 80's volume knob wasn't the sturdiest.
The p99rs had a terrible volume knob.

whitemax
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
For the amount of cash you pay for the p99rs you would think that the volume knob would be a nice solid one.

West.....still haven't checked out the clarion, but will soon.

wickedwitt
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
For the amount of cash you pay for the p99rs you would think that the volume knob would be a nice solid one.

West.....still haven't checked out the clarion, but will soon.

My one beef w/ Pioneer is using that knob like a universal remote. Do you know how hard it is to be going down these bumpy *** West Texas roads and try to hit "enter" without moving off the selection you actually wanted? At least the 80 is more solid and intuitive than the 99 and all of the Premier/entry decks.

whitemax
01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah...I remember my DEH-P8600MP had the knob like that. That's one thing I didn't like about my Eclipse CD7000 either. Basic functions should not require you to take your attention away from the road. That is one thing I really like about my current head unit, it's old, but it's so easy to use that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to use it.

Slayerx
01-04-2013, 02:48 AM
Just ordered the 80prs. Hope it lives up to my expectations
Anyone looking for one abt.com has them for $260 shipped and they are an authorized dealer

cfox10
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
I'm looking for a new head unit. Is this going to be the best one for under 500?

neo_styles
01-04-2013, 02:54 AM
I'm looking for a new head unit. Is this going to be the best one for under 500?

After everything I keep hearing, yes, but only if you're serious about SQ and need something with which to go active. Otherwise, you'll be wanting something that has a bigger feature set and better ease of use.

Slayerx
01-04-2013, 03:19 AM

What neo said. $500 is a nice chunk of change for a single din.
Just depends on what you need/want out of it.

cfox10
01-04-2013, 03:45 AM
What neo said. $500 is a nice chunk of change for a single din.
Just depends on what you need/want out of it.

Plan on going active for sure. That's why I'm leaning towards this unit, no outside processing needed. The funny thing about having nice single din units are the people who see my system and off goes the "You have a nice system but my buddy has this touch screen DVD screen in his, you should get one" Or the... oh, you're only running 2k watts? I have a 5000w boss amp that I could sell you. Those always crack me up.

gckless
01-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Plan on going active for sure. That's why I'm leaning towards this unit, no outside processing needed. The funny thing about having nice single din units are the people who see my system and off goes the "You have a nice system but my buddy has this touch screen DVD screen in his, you should get one" Or the... oh, you're only running 2k watts? I have a 5000w boss amp that I could sell you. Those always crack me up.

Do it. You won't regret it. It's not really all that expensive compared to all the other gear we buy.

I never understood why someone can't spend an extra $150 on arguably the most important piece in the chain but will drop $1500 on the rest.

West
01-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Do it. You won't regret it. It's not really all that expensive compared to all the other gear we buy.

I never understood why someone can't spend an extra $150 on arguably the most important piece in the chain but will drop $1500 on the rest.

For me there is no argument... it is 100% the most important piece of the chain :)
I heard 1,200 dynes off a jl hd on a double din on Tuesday. Ultra clean, but no warth in the sound...

West
01-04-2013, 05:40 AM
+ a lack of detail... those dynes were being held back :(

04silverz
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
My one beef w/ Pioneer is using that knob like a universal remote. Do you know how hard it is to be going down these bumpy *** West Texas roads and try to hit "enter" without moving off the selection you actually wanted? At least the 80 is more solid and intuitive than the 99 and all of the Premier/entry decks.

The 80 is tons better than the knobs I had on my eclipse cd5000.

Was def shocked when I looked into cd players a few months ago and there were hardly any options.

tommydh
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I made the mistake and bought a deh 8300 first then realized the extra cost to add blue tooth was the 80prs I jumped on it and I cant be happier. There are so many functions and gadgets I discovver new crap on it every day.

trumpet
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
+ a lack of detail... those dynes were being held back :(

You realize "warmth" comes from distortion, right? It's a matter of preference to expect an amplifier to impart a sonic signature to the music. Dynaudio speakers are designed for extremely low distortion, plus a JL HD amp is also designed for extremely low THD. If the system wasn't tuned to your preferences that would explain why you think it lacked detail. You'd probably have a different opinion if you didn't know what speakers and amps were in the system.

Sorry for the hijacking but it had to be said.

bhsdriller
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM
the no sub level control in active mode is stupid....other then that I like mine

West
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
You realize "warmth" comes from distortion, right? It's a matter of preference to expect an amplifier to impart a sonic signature to the music. Dynaudio speakers are designed for extremely low distortion, plus a JL HD amp is also designed for extremely low THD. If the system wasn't tuned to your preferences that would explain why you think it lacked detail. You'd probably have a different opinion if you didn't know what speakers and amps were in the system.

Sorry for the hijacking but it had to be said.

It's entirely possible that my system has more distortion than his. There was a lack of detail, which I attribute to the DAC in his deck because it sounded exactly like my x930bt did. Maybe McIntosh or ZED does imprint some signature to my music, that is entirely possible. Prehaps his system wasn't tuned entriely to my liking as well, but his levels sounded very good. All I am saying is his systen may benefit from a better deck. To my ears, if you have a more detailed signal it also sounds warmer and it is not necessarily being generated solely by distortion.

The the CZ and the 80prs are very good decks. There are better ones out there, but they come with very big pricetags, and some of the best ones are no longer manufactured. It's not a matter of options for me, or EQ it's the raw sound from the deck.

trumpet
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
It's entirely possible that my system has more distortion than his. There was a lack of detail, which I attribute to the DAC in his deck because it sounded exactly like my x930bt did. Maybe McIntosh or ZED does imprint some signature to my music, that is entirely possible. Prehaps his system wasn't tuned entriely to my liking as well, but his levels sounded very good. All I am saying is his systen may benefit from a better deck. To my ears, if you have a more detailed signal it also sounds warmer and it is not necessarily being generated solely by distortion. .

Distortion isn't a bad thing, we like it and music played back through speakers sounds bad without it. It's better to minimize the distortion before the speakers add their own, of which it's significantly more than any other part in the chain. I don't have the experience you have with high end brands that cater to audiophiles, but I believe in the science of audio and the many ways our perceptions can be altered. Even simply knowing beforehand what brand of speakers you're listening to will affect your judgement.