PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio?

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 10:36 PM
First off, I went by a local audio shop that has the Alpine SPR-60C and listened to them for about 15 minutes and had a headache after. The highs where very bright and the mids where under-powered like other people on the forums said.

So I am back on the hunt for new speakers. A friend told me about polk audio's, and I came across these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM6501/Polk-Audio-MM6501.html?tp=95

So has anyone had ever had experience with this brand, this is the first time I have ever heard of them?
Do they make good speakers or should I find a different brand?
And, how do there mids and highs compare to the Alpine SPR-60C?

zesaudio
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
the brand of polk audio is ok .but i suggest the 6.5" components can get more bass.the alpine's pirce look good enough.

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 10:57 PM
the brand of polk audio is ok .but i suggest the 6.5" components can get more bass.the alpine's pirce look good enough.
I was at first wanting to get the Alpine's, but the highs are way to bright for my preference. I meant to put the 6 1/2 comps in the link my bad, I am fixing that right now.

zesaudio
01-01-2013, 11:05 PM
sorry for mistake . do you add a new amplifier to handle that? i think the problem is not caused by the speaker . mainly problem from amplifier or install.

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
sorry for mistake . do you add a new amplifier to handle that? i think the problem is not caused by the speaker . mainly problem from amplifier or install.
When I went to my local audio shop in the display they were hooked up to a jl amp feeding them a 100 watts so they weren't under-powered. It may just be a preference sorta deal. I am just now understand what other people were saying with the mids lacking and the highs are on the brighter side.

neo_styles
01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
When I went to my local audio shop in the display they were hooked up to a jl amp feeding them a 100 watts so they weren't under-powered. It may just be a preference sorta deal. I am just now understand what other people were saying with the mids lacking and the highs are on the brighter side.

The problem is that you're listening to these speakers on a soundboard where the response won't be exactly like they are in your vehicle. The problem with Polks is that even though they're better than a lot of offerings in the price range, the tweeters are extremely sensitive to install location and can be very fatiguing. I'll try to point you in the right direction, but need to know what your budget is first.

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 11:24 PM
The problem is that you're listening to these speakers on a soundboard where the response won't be exactly like they are in your vehicle. The problem with Polks is that even though they're better than a lot of offerings in the price range, the tweeters are extremely sensitive to install location and can be very fatiguing. I'll try to point you in the right direction, but need to know what your budget is first.

Around 300 dollars.

Any thoughts on these Jl's:
JL Audio C2650 Evolution™ C2 Series 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2650/JL-Audio-C2650.html?tp=106)

or

these JBL's:
JBL MS-62C 6-1/2" component system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109MS62C/JBL-MS-62C.html?tp=106)

neo_styles
01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
You can tell by my signature where I'd lean based on those two options. The JL are OK, but you can find better for the money. Other options to consider would be the Massive Audio CK6X, Image Dynamics CTX-65cs, and CDT CL-61.

Also, SonicElectronix has those MS62c comps for waaaaaaay cheaper than Crutchfield and they are a JBL authorized reseller.

neo_styles
01-01-2013, 11:40 PM
WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A.2-25 PRO+FD2100 - CDT Audio/ARC Audio 6.5" Component Sound Quality Package (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9425-cl-61a2-25-profd2100-cdt-audioarc-audio-65-component-sound-quality-package.aspx)

If you don't yet have an amp for your components, this is a steal. You're basically getting the amp for free.

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 11:42 PM
You can tell by my signature where I'd lean based on those two options. The JL are OK, but you can find better for the money. Other options to consider would be the Massive Audio CK6X, Image Dynamics CTX-65cs, and CDT CL-61.

Also, SonicElectronix has those MS62c comps for waaaaaaay cheaper than Crutchfield and they are a JBL authorized reseller.

I obviously would purchase from Sonic's; Crutchfield is just much easier to navigate.
How do the mids and highs sound from the JBL's?

neo_styles
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
The mids need a good install to sound right. I've got a build thread up here that talks about what I did to have mine installed and now have extremely clear midbass. The tweeters, even though they're a titanium dome, are extremely smooth. Definitely nowhere close to ear-bleeding like the Alpine R-type. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with how they came out.

Buy them on Sonic and spend the remainder by getting 12 sqft of AudioTechnix deadener so you can take care of your doors. Should be thoroughly impressed with the end result. 12 sqft is 50 bucks from AT, btw.

neo_styles
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
double post

-Josh-
01-01-2013, 11:56 PM
The mids need a good install to sound right. I've got a build thread up here that talks about what I did to have mine installed and now have extremely clear midbass. The tweeters, even though they're a titanium dome, are extremely smooth. Definitely nowhere close to ear-bleeding like the Alpine R-type. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with how they came out.

Buy them on Sonic and spend the remainder by getting 12 sqft of AudioTechnix deadener so you can take care of your doors. Should be thoroughly impressed with the end result. 12 sqft is 50 bucks from AT, btw.

I was going definitely to sound deaden my doors when putting in my new speakers. Also, do you think the alpine cde-hd137bt with the ktp-445u power pack is enough to power these speaker so they sound good and clear?

neo_styles
01-02-2013, 12:21 AM
I was going definitely to sound deaden my doors when putting in my new speakers. Also, do you think the alpine cde-hd137bt with the ktp-445u power pack is enough to power these speaker so they sound good and clear?

What's your overall goal with how you want your system to sound? Are you looking to make it sound like a concert hall (SQ) or do you want a block rocker (SPL)? If you want that concert hall kinda feel, then you'd be better off with a Clarion CZ702 which has the ability to go active. Otherwise, you should be OK with the Alpine you mentioned above and as long as you have room for that power pack somewhere up front, that should work out well also.

-Josh-
01-02-2013, 12:36 AM
What's your overall goal with how you want your system to sound? Are you looking to make it sound like a concert hall (SQ) or do you want a block rocker (SPL)? If you want that concert hall kinda feel, then you'd be better off with a Clarion CZ702 which has the ability to go active. Otherwise, you should be OK with the Alpine you mentioned above and as long as you have room for that power pack somewhere up front, that should work out well also.
My overall goal is to get a much better sound system than stock, and I want it to have a bass but not bass heavy if that makes sense. I want my system to be SPL and I do have enough room to put the power pack up front. If I want to upgrade my rear side panel speakers next, do I need to stick with JBL or can I go to a different brand?

neo_styles
01-02-2013, 12:40 AM
You can go with whatever you like, man. Personally, I'd go with dedicated midbass in the rear so when you do get a sub, you'll have something to fill in between what the subs and components can't. For now, just focus on the front stage and get that sounding as good as you possibly can. After that, move on to the next step. Nothing is more frustrating than taking on a whole system overhaul and having to fine-tune everything at once.

-Josh-
01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
You can go with whatever you like, man. Personally, I'd go with dedicated midbass in the rear so when you do get a sub, you'll have something to fill in between what the subs and components can't. For now, just focus on the front stage and get that sounding as good as you possibly can. After that, move on to the next step. Nothing is more frustrating than taking on a whole system overhaul and having to fine-tune everything at once.
Thanks, for the advice I appreciate it. I will stick for the front stage now.

Why So Cereal?
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Around 300 dollars.

Any thoughts on these Jl's:
JL Audio C2650 Evolution™ C2 Series 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2650/JL-Audio-C2650.html?tp=106)

or

these JBL's:
JBL MS-62C 6-1/2" component system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109MS62C/JBL-MS-62C.html?tp=106)

this thread is a day old; but I just wanted to point out that, if you have not bought anything yet, and you are firmly against bright tweeters, then those JL C2s would be a very good option in the price range. The midrange on them is great and they have some very smooth midbass to them.

Those JBLs are nice as well, with a brighter tweeter than the JL set but not often reported as too bright

Basically in order of what you have listed the Alpines are the brightest, the JL's the most laidback...with the JBLs falling right in the middle.

-Josh-
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM
this thread is a day old; but I just wanted to point out that, if you have not bought anything yet, and you are firmly against bright tweeters, then those JL C2s would be a very good option in the price range. The midrange on them is great and they have some very smooth midbass to them.

Those JBLs are nice as well, with a brighter tweeter than the JL set but not often reported as too bright

Basically in order of what you have listed the Alpines are the brightest, the JL's the most laidback...with the JBLs falling right in the middle.
I appreciate the information. I am aiming for the JBL's now.

Do you have any input for these:
JL Audio C5-525 Evolution™ C5 Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C5525/JL-Audio-C5-525.html?tp=106)
or these
JL Audio C3-525 Evolution™ C3 Series 5-1/4" convertible component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C3525/JL-Audio-C3-525.html?tp=106)

tommydh
01-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Polk has been around awhile. I have a few sets of the original MM components from the 90's Blow the new ones away but Polk is decent stuff for china made. There home audio is on the line of Bose and Klipshe

-Josh-
01-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Polk has been around awhile. I have a few sets of the original MM components from the 90's Blow the new ones away but Polk is decent stuff for china made. There home audio is on the line of Bose and Klipshe

I am not saying polk audio is bad, just wanted to know if they made what I was looking for in a speaker.

sjv13
01-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Lol.. I cant believe you would put Bose and Klipsch in the same category... But this isnt a home theater forum, so I digress.

Does anyone ( princ3cmo; ) know where my Focal IS 165 comps would fall in that range of Alpine, JBL, and then JL?

Why So Cereal?
01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
I appreciate the information. I am aiming for the JBL's now.

Do you have any input for these:
JL Audio C5-525 Evolution™ C5 Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C5525/JL-Audio-C5-525.html?tp=106)
or these
JL Audio C3-525 Evolution™ C3 Series 5-1/4" convertible component speaker system at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C3525/JL-Audio-C3-525.html?tp=106)
I don't like the C3s for the simple fact that they don't seem to fit into a legit price range. They sound only very slightly better than the C2s (but not worth the extra cost) yet they do not compare to the C5s. I would go C2 or C5. The C5s are legit speakers for their online prices. In fact the C5 3 way set is one of the best for the money IMO. I would vouch for the C5s against pretty much any other set in their price range and the SQ lanes prove that JL C5s and ZRs are proven SQ winners.

Lol.. I cant believe you would put Bose and Klipsch in the same category... But this isnt a home theater forum, so I digress.

Does anyone ( princ3cmo; ) know where my Focal IS 165 comps would fall in that range of Alpine, JBL, and then JL?

I honestly couldn't tell you as thats literally the only line of Focal speakers I have yet to hear.

I don't generally like lower line Focal stuff, just didn't do it for me. But, another thing to consider when looking at comps in this price range is that they will all have a unique sound. Focals and Alpines tend to be bright, while JLs are laid back. JBL has placed themselves somewhere in the middle in that aspect.

Best thing to do is find the sound you like by auditioning some sets and stick with it. I could give you an idea of how some of these comps sound from the listening I've done but nothing compares to actually hearing them and getting an idea of what you like for yourself.

sjv13
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you as thats literally the only line of Focal speakers I have yet to hear.

I don't generally like lower line Focal stuff, just didn't do it for me. But, another thing to consider when looking at comps in this price range is that they will all have a unique sound. Focals and Alpines tend to be bright, while JLs are laid back. JBL has placed themselves somewhere in the middle in that aspect.

Best thing to do is find the sound you like by auditioning some sets and stick with it. I could give you an idea of how some of these comps sound from the listening I've done but nothing compares to actually hearing them and getting an idea of what you like for yourself.

ah thanks anyways. I like them alright, but that's mainly because the only other thing I've heard is my friend's type r comps on hifonics amp. haha.

Why So Cereal?
01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
ah thanks anyways. I like them alright, but that's mainly because the only other thing I've heard is my friend's type r comps on hifonics amp. haha.

If you're just looking to give something else a try that is pretty value driven, give those JBLs a shot. Also look into the Image Dynamics CTX comps. Those are my two favorite comp sets in this price range at the moment.

Quick vid I made of the CTXs in my room when I had them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRebmgsWo0

Danometal
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
I really like my Polk DB components ran active. They get loud without any distortion. Need at least 50+ watts RMS each side though. If ran passive, set the tweeters to -3 and rock out.

tommydh
01-05-2013, 01:26 AM

Ok so they dont have the wave radio, But Ill put every speaker that is in there Baltimore Designed American made line up against any. I have polk prototypes that blow away most on market. It helps my bass playe was a key engineer in the orignal DB and Momo series. and I have plenty of free polk stuff. Now adays noway Chinese made Crap like all the old good stuff. Im a union worker so I believe in buy crap this countrty makes but I digress.

gckless
01-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Polk's MM series is decent, but I believe you can get better in their price range. I'd take the JBL MS's any day over those. The dB line is a good set in its price range though.

zako
01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
One thing I have heard about Polk MM speakers is that their tweeters are detailed and even bright, mid-bass is good, but mid-range is too laid back. The previous generation of Alpine Type-R (SPR-17S, which were good speakers IMO), had decent bass, average highs, but powerful and clear mid-range. Perhaps with good tuning, these differences could go away. The latest Type-Rs don't seem as popular due to new tweeters.

One thing I heard about JBL MS-62C speakers is that they're pretty good and sound nice out of box without any tuning (or at least better than most others).

sjv13
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
If you're just looking to give something else a try that is pretty value driven, give those JBLs a shot. Also look into the Image Dynamics CTX comps. Those are my two favorite comp sets in this price range at the moment.

Quick vid I made of the CTXs in my room when I had them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRebmgsWo0

Interesting. How did you power that in your house?

I looked those CTXs up on the ID website. They look like they have pretty big magnets! Much bigger than my Focals anyways. I know I paid way too much for mine, but I was a noob. But it's also hard to find decent speakers with a 2.3" top mount depth.