PDA

View Full Version : tweeters and woofers at same gain level?

sjv13
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
So I have the Focal IS 165 component speakers. And I have a 4 channel amp that's 75x4. I have each part of the component set on one channel.

Left tweeter, channel 1
Right tweeter, channel 2

Left woofer, channel 3
Right woofer, channel 4

There is one gain control for channel 1 & 2, and one gain control for channel 3 & 4. My understanding is that tweeters take a lot less power than woofers. So why is it that both gains are turned up almost the same amount and it sounds good to me? The woofer gain is up just a tad more than the tweeters.

mylows10
01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
do you have the xovers set ,hp for the tweets and bp for the mids ,also you should do a electronic xover as well.it will highten the response for the components and give you better adjustment over the amps settings

sjv13
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
do you have the xovers set ,hp for the tweets and bp for the mids ,also you should do a electronic xover as well.it will highten the response for the components and give you better adjustment over the amps settings

The Focal IS 165 comps have integrated xovers, so there is no crossover box. So really all I have to set is the HPF for the woofers, which is at 90.

mylows10
01-01-2013, 08:57 PM
if your running active then the mids should not be on the hpf ,should be on the bp or full

sjv13
01-01-2013, 08:58 PM
if your running active then the mids should not be on the hpf ,should be on the bp or full

Well bp isnt an option. But full makes them distort at lower levels.

mylows10
01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
thats because your mids aren't supposed to play frequencies that low .more adjusting is needed .also your mids may not take the power your pushing to them ,it does say 70 watts rms for these

Better-Action
01-01-2013, 09:11 PM
What impedience is the tweeters? Subs probably a lower impedience so seeing more power.

sjv13
01-01-2013, 09:17 PM
thats because your mids aren't supposed to play frequencies that low .more adjusting is needed .also your mids may not take the power your pushing to them ,it does say 70 watts rms for these

I know that lol. That's why I use the hpf on them. I'm not pushing them all the way... the gain is quite low.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

What impedience is the tweeters? Subs probably a lower impedience so seeing more power.
You mean woofers?

And yeah, that might be.

mylows10
01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
check impedance on the tweets and mids

Loudmp5
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
What amp r u using

sjv13
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
check impedance on the tweets and mids

Yeah, that might be it. I might have to give Focal a call or email. Didnt see it online.

mylows10
01-01-2013, 09:34 PM
me neither , did you buy them from an authorized dealer or online ?

sjv13
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
me neither , did you buy them from an authorized dealer or online ?

Yeah. From Crutchfield.... paid way too much for them, but oh well.

zako
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I have been running my Hybrid Audio Imagine tweeters and woofers in bi-amp mode, and also with active crossover. In both cases tweeter gain position was pretty close to woofer gain in order to level match the tweeters and woofers (this is on a channel with 80watt RMS rating). What's going on? Take a look at the frequency spectrum or normal speech or most music in any music player software. I used foobar2000. For just some random pop/rock song in my collection.. Peaks in bass region reach -10dB, peaks in midrange reach -20dB. Peaks in upper midrange -35ish dB. Treble (>5KHz) normally at -40dB. So the point is, if I was playing 0dB tones on my stereo, this would probably destroy my tweeters. For normal music, this is not an issue.

If you have the ability to mute woofers and subwoofers, do this as an experiment. My tweeters use 6.3KHz HP with 18dB slope. After muting the woofers and subwoofers, it's surprising to hear how little content in SPL terms the tweeters are contributing, and yet music will sound lifeless without it.

maylar
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I have been running my Hybrid Audio Imagine tweeters and woofers in bi-amp mode, and also with active crossover. In both cases tweeter gain position was pretty close to woofer gain in order to level match the tweeters and woofers (this is on a channel with 80watt RMS rating). .

I believe the Imagine tweets are 12 ohms, which would mean that they get 1/3 the power of the mids with the same applied voltage. It makes sense that a tweeter with no level controls in the crossover would want the same signal level as the mating midrange.

zako
01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
I believe the Imagine tweets are 12 ohms, which would mean that they get 1/3 the power of the mids with the same applied voltage. It makes sense that a tweeter with no level controls in the crossover would want the same signal level as the mating midrange.

That could explain it, though it's not the case according to Scott Buwalda:

Imagine I6 High Pass/Wattage (Active) - Page 2 (http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/forum/showthread.php?20962-Imagine-I6-High-Pass-Wattage-%28Active%29&p=73447&viewfull=1#post73447)

The stock crossover is not very good. A lot of people find tweeter a little bright. The first order high pass also means the tweeter plays a bit too much of upper mid-range frequencies. I find the stock setup fatiguing.

maylar
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
That could explain it, though it's not the case according to Scott Buwalda:

Imagine I6 High Pass/Wattage (Active) - Page 2 (http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/forum/showthread.php?20962-Imagine-I6-High-Pass-Wattage-%28Active%29&p=73447&viewfull=1#post73447)

The stock crossover is not very good. A lot of people find tweeter a little bright. The first order high pass also means the tweeter plays a bit too much of upper mid-range frequencies. I find the stock setup fatiguing.

Unfortunately, my hearing is poor above 6K so I barely notice my Imagine tweets at all especially off axis low in the doors.

I based my hunch on their impedance on the 2.2uF hipass cap and the 6 kHz published spec. People assume that component tweeters are 4 ohms which is not always true. Next time I have my doors apart I think I'll measure them.