PDA

View Full Version : Port direction for 4th order in cherokee

husker77
01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I have about 14 cubes, net, to build a box in my newly acquired 2 door jeep cherokee, I can get more if needed. Was going to do a 4th for my 15" eclipse ti, mostly want to try and build one and see how they sound. I was wondering if I should point my port up or forward? Forward it would fire into the rear seat, which I can fold down at times. What say you oh box whisperers?

nu2spl
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
how close to the rear seat will it be?

pro-rabbit
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Will there be no way to fire it back? If not then up would be my next choice.

splwj47
01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
firing rear works best in my jeep, port on drivers side. im running a single 12 in a 4th right now. if not rear then port up.

husker77
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Will there be no way to fire it back? If not then up would be my next choice.

Not really, it would fire right into the tailgate. Plus I want to build a section in the rear for jumper cables, tow straps and stuff of that nature.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

how close to the rear seat will it be?

Depends on how I decide on the final design, but only a few inches at most.

nu2spl
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
well fire it up then,thats way to close to the rear seat,it needs room to breath

husker77
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
I suppose I need to put the port as far towards the rear as I can then?

pro-rabbit
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
More then likely, you can play around with how far up the port is by bringing it out of the enclosure. It will change the response curve do to how it uses the roof as a loading wall.

husker77
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Ok, with constant bad ideas running through my brain at work I came up with the idea of running the port external to the box. So if the port length can stay under say 20" I should be able to point it to the rear. That should give me a little more volume to play with also, the box is going to be in the neighborhood of 40" x 30" x 20", and a few more inches behind the wheel wells. I was going to shoot for a 9" x 9" port opening originally but I think if I do run it on the outside of the box I might make it like 5" x 13" just to make it look a little nicer, or a couple of round flare ports might be kind of neat. I figure I can make it a bolt on deal easy enough so I can try different port lengths. So pro-rabbit; is that a terrible idea.

pro-rabbit
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Seems like a good start. With a 4th order I don't see your port being that long though as tuning is higher then a standard bass reflex style enclosure.

husker77
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Well I suppose it is time to start figuring this thing out.

HAVINGFUN
01-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I just finished mine and it is in a trunk but I have been playing with moving it around in the trunk which is really easy since it is built. Trunk is different than your Jeep but I have a ported box in wife's suv and pointing woofer and port towards the taillights seems to work best. You can port up if it is close to the back but I have had issues with boxes if the box is in the middle of the back area or more towards the front. My current 4th order I have at an angle right now firing into the corner for some serious bazooka style corner loading and it sounds the best to me loaded into the back corner at an angle. If you make your box square you might have more options when it comes to flipping it around but if I had to choose I would fire it back to the taillights.