PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo tx-nr905

8thGenSI
12-29-2012, 11:10 PM
maybe you guys can help, I'm kinda tarded with HDMI

Ok so i took a big leap of faith and purchased an Onkyo tx-nr905 from a guy off craigslist today. I didnít have time to meet him and test the receiver's HDMI functions. The guy swore up and down that everything functions as it should and I would be happy. I knew i was taking a big risk especially after reading all of the online information explaining HDMI issues with this unit. This is my first receiver equipped with HDMI so I am very new to it. I ran my Samsung blu ray player into HDMI 1 on the receiver and the HDMI main out to the tv. I went through the set up menu and designated "DVD" to HDMI 1. when i tried to run a blu ray the receiver display shows "no signal" I tried all of the various inputs and outputs with no luck, when I access the menu it does display on the TV but once I leave the menu the picture goes blank. if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

West
12-29-2012, 11:14 PM
maybe you guys can help, I'm kinda tarded with HDMI

Ok so i took a big leap of faith and purchased an Onkyo tx-nr905 from a guy off craigslist today. I didn’t have time to meet him and test the receiver's HDMI functions. The guy swore up and down that everything functions as it should and I would be happy. I knew i was taking a big risk especially after reading all of the online information explaining HDMI issues with this unit. This is my first receiver equipped with HDMI so I am very new to it. I ran my Samsung blu ray player into HDMI 1 on the receiver and the HDMI main out to the tv. I went through the set up menu and designated "DVD" to HDMI 1. when i tried to run a blu ray the receiver display shows "no signal" I tried all of the various inputs and outputs with no luck, when I access the menu it does display on the TV but once I leave the menu the picture goes blank. if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Do you get sound from the blueray player?

8thGenSI
12-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Do you get sound from the blueray player?

no, only thing i get atm is menu picture

gckless
12-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Does the bluray player also have component outs? In some models (mostly cheaper or older) you actually have to select which output you wan. Were you running HDMI out on that before?

Slayerx
12-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Could be what's called a "handshake" issue.
But I'm not sure since you say the menu appears for the bluray, but nothing else?
Try turning on everything in a different order. I believe TV, then receiver, then bluray last, making sure each is completely on before the next.
I noticed I have an odd issue with my HD cable box where if I don't turn stuff on correctly, I'll get a picture but the cable box menu won't show up.

West
12-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Also op try a different hdmi source xbox or something and see if that works.

8thGenSI
12-29-2012, 11:24 PM
i forgot to mention that when i hook up hdmi directly from player to tv it works perfectly.

8thGenSI
12-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Does the bluray player also have component outs? In some models (mostly cheaper or older) you actually have to select which output you wan. Were you running HDMI out on that before?

no component outs on this one.

DARKHART
12-29-2012, 11:34 PM
no, only thing i get atm is menu picture

Is it the bluray's menu picture or is it the receiver's menu that is being displayed? If it's the bluray's menu then the signal is being passed through and something else is going on and if it's the receiver's menu that is being displayed then the signal is not being passed.

8thGenSI
12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Is it the bluray's menu picture or is it the receiver's menu that is being displayed? If it's the bluray's menu then the signal is being passed through and something else is going on and if it's the receiver's menu that is being displayed then the signal is not being passed.

its the receiver's menu screen, ive been doing some reading, let me try something.

CaddieJapan
12-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Do a factory reset on the receiver then go from there. Original user could have settings adjusted to other inputs etc. 905 is a good AVR, but Onkyo has problems with HDMI boards and heat issues in the past.

naughtyca
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
why dont you call onkyo support they will help you with no fee.