PDA

View Full Version : HU Recommendations Needed

Baron Blood
12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new HU to replace my Eclipse CD8454.

This deck is great sounding but I've had it with CDs getting stuck in it (3 are in it right now) and it over-heats in the summer and freezes in the winter.

I'm looking for something around $400.00 (hopefully something more expensive but on sale) that has pre-outs to keep the sound clean for my Precision Power Amp and older (when they were good) MB Quart speakers.

I don't listen to the radio

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BB

whitemax
12-28-2012, 03:22 AM
How did you get 3 CD's into it?

I had that headunit a few years back, very nice deck. As for a replacement, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS is a good choice. It will give you plenty of sound tuning options.

gckless
12-28-2012, 03:26 AM
Pioneer 80PRS. I love mine.

West
12-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Alpine has the best mid range.
Pioneer has the best bass.
Eclipse has the best high range response.

That 80prs sounds very nice.

Bettr n' Revrse
12-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Any interest in a 9855?

tommydh
12-28-2012, 07:23 AM
80 PRS I dont hink I'll ever stop adjust stuff but that is because I just want to see what every thing does. That eclipse you have is the old shool ESN days no internal amp 8v outs? I had one and when I decided to get back in to the scene I was surprised how affordable a good head unit is now..

West
12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Clarion U.S.A. | CZ702 (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/audio/source_units/cd/CZ702/us-en-product-hi_1259559424064.html) trumpet ; He sells these.
The Clarion sounds better than the Pioneer to my ear. It is feature packed and less expensive than the 80prs.

Roland
12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Clarion U.S.A. | CZ702 (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/audio/source_units/cd/CZ702/us-en-product-hi_1259559424064.html) trumpet ; He sells these.
The Clarion sounds better than the Pioneer to my ear. It is feature packed and less expensive than the 80prs.

In what ways does the Clarion sound better to you?

mylows10
12-28-2012, 10:37 AM
i sell both

trumpet
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Clarion CZ702E Single Din CD/FM/USB/iPod Head Unit - Source Units - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Magazine (http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php/index.html/_/reviews/source/clarion-cz702e-single-din-cdfmusbipod-head-unit-r1349)
For the money the CZ702 is fantastic. I replaced an Alpine 7998 with this unit. I'm using it for the CD transport, auxiliary input and Bluetooth into an MS-8, and while I'm missing my Alpine 12-disc changer I feel I'm missing nothing in sound quality. It's a serious head unit that doesn't have any frills on the faceplate.

West
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
In what ways does the Clarion sound better to you?

Music has more detail and sounds warmer (more natural) than with the pioneer. The pioneer sounded a bit hollow...

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
How did you get 3 CD's into it?

Hell if I know.:D
There is actually two discs stuck in it but it will still play the third.

West
12-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Hell if I know.:D
There is actually two discs stuck in it but it will still play the third.

lol...

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 01:31 PM
That eclipse you have is the old shool ESN days no internal amp 8v outs?

Yes, I wanted the cleanest sound to go to my Precision Power amp so I chose a ampless 8v head unit.

Thanks EVERYONE for the suggestions.
I'll have to check them out on a board.

West
12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes, I wanted the cleanest sound to go to my Precision Power amp so I chose a ampless 8v head unit.

Thanks EVERYONE for the suggestions.
I'll have to check them out on a board.

Yeah man. You should be able to demo the pioneer at best buy (I wouldn't buy it there.)
But read up on the Clarion reviews. I don't think much comes close to it in that price range.

West
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Clarion CZ702E Single Din CD/FM/USB/iPod Head Unit - Source Units - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Magazine (http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php/index.html/_/reviews/source/clarion-cz702e-single-din-cdfmusbipod-head-unit-r1349)
For the money the CZ702 is fantastic. I replaced an Alpine 7998 with this unit. I'm using it for the CD transport, auxiliary input and Bluetooth into an MS-8, and while I'm missing my Alpine 12-disc changer I feel I'm missing nothing in sound quality. It's a serious head unit that doesn't have any frills on the faceplate.

I actually agree with this review...
Overall 9.4
Sound Quality 9
Appearance/Display 9
Ease Of Use/HMI 8
Features 10
Value For Money 11 (I Reserve the right to do this! It has precedent!)

I might give ease of use a 7.5 though... lol

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok guys,

I contacted a local store by phone to find out what kind of money the suggested HU sell for.

The salesperson recommended the Pioneer 90 over the Clarion as in his words "it's more of an audiophile unit closer to what I'm accustomed to with the Eclipse"

So, does anyone know the difference between the Pio 80 and 90? (I'll google it and see if I can find it)

West
12-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Ok guys,

I contacted a local store by phone to find out what kind of money the suggested HU sell for.

The salesperson recommended the Pioneer 90 over the Clarion as in his words "it's more of an audiophile unit closer to what I'm accustomed to with the Eclipse"

So, does anyone know the difference between the Pio 80 and 90? (I'll google it and see if I can find it)

The salesman doesn't carry the Clarion and wants you to buy the pioneer from him.
lol

I don't believe that pioneer has a pioneer 90 unit, they have a p99rs which is >1k$ new, yes it should outpreform both the clarion and the 80prs.

whitemax
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
The Clarion appears to be a nice head unit with good sound tuning capabilities.

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
The salesman doesn't carry the Clarion and wants you to buy the pioneer from him.
lol

I don't believe that pioneer has a pioneer 90 unit, they have a p99rs which is >1k$ new, yes it should outpreform both the clarion and the 80prs.

Actually he's the only Clarion dealer in my city whereas Pioneer is sold in other stores here.
The 90 does exist.

West
12-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Actually he's the only Clarion dealer in my city whereas Pioneer is sold in other stores here.
The 90 does exist.

hmm. Where you able to get any specs on the 90?
I'd be interested in giving it a look.
Is it a new model?

West
12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
The Clarion appears to be a nice head unit with good sound tuning capabilities.

I heard it on some entry level boston's and was pretty impressed...

double 07
12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
I have the Clarion CZ 702 in my BMW......that's where West got to listen to it.......I love that unit... I am running over a 5k system with it without any problems and my mids and highs sound great to me & I have less than $200 in the deck.....

mylows10
12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
there is a dex 90 but looks like it come stock in the new 2013 audi a 4 cars ,did find a dex9p as well but $1200 for it

West
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I have the Clarion CZ 702 in my BMW......that's where West got to listen to it.......I love that unit... I am running over a 5k system with it without any problems and my mids and highs sound great to me & I have less than $200 in the deck.....

They sound pretty **** good to me to.
I would say the raw signal was as about as good as the p99rs only difference is that the claion can do 3 way active and the p99rs can do 4 way active and has 31bands of eq, but the clarion is 1/5th the price of the p99rs... The levels were very balanced.

West
12-28-2012, 10:50 PM
there is a dex 90 but looks like it come stock in the new 2013 audi a 4 cars ,did find a dex9p as well but $1200 for it

For that money you might as well be using a processor.... lol

West
12-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok guys,

Did he have a floor model set up? Tell me what you think of the 80v90vclairion if your back there.

mylows10
12-28-2012, 11:10 PM
For that money you might as well be using a processor.... lol

pretty much

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
hmm. Where you able to get any specs on the 90?
I'd be interested in giving it a look.
Is it a new model?

I must be losing my mind as I thought I was reading some specs on a 89 version but I can't find it now.

Maybe the salesman got confused calling the 80 a 90.

whitemax
12-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I will be checking the Clarion out in person. It's always nice to check out good gear.

It's not that I need another head unit.... I already have a more than a few boxed up.

West
12-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I will be checking the Clarion out in person. It's always nice to check out good gear.

It's not that I need another head unit.... I already have a more than a few boxed up.

I bought an 80prs and sold it. I demoed it on my hi-fi boom box lol... It was pretty nice, but I'd still rather have the clarion. But some of that is personal preference.

Baron Blood
12-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Did he have a floor model set up? Tell me what you think of the 80v90vclairion if your back there.

I haven't been there yet.

I'll definitly compare the 80 (90?) to the Clarion now.

This store also has the only rights in my city to sell Focal so they apparantly sell good equipment.

BTW~ McIntosh and Focal...your system must be awsome.
I have a McIntosh for my home system.

West
12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
I haven't been there yet.

I'll definitly compare the 80 (90?) to the Clarion now.

This store also has the only rights in my city to sell Focal so they apparantly sell good equipment.

BTW~ McIntosh and Focal...your system must be awsome.
I have a McIntosh for my home system.

Ty very much. It's a work in progress I am switching to an active front stage.
Those focals were very nice. I switched to Hybrid audio for the time being...
I am running a zed amp until I redue the sub system.
I love that zed amp as much as the mcintosh's.

It must be nice to have a Focal dealer intown so you can demo their stuff... My selection around here is somewhat limited.
What kind of Mc gear do you have at home? Family has a Mc system from the 70's, **** thing sounds better than most of the new "name brand" stuff made today...

West
12-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Also whatever you do, do NOT buy Denon for your system. Their quality has really slipped :(
I bought and returned their home theather reciever... it was a big let down. They gave it 4 hdmi inputs but a worthless DAC... it sounded terrible through the hdmi's.

Baron Blood
12-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Ty very much. It's a work in progress I am switching to an active front stage.
Those focals were very nice. I switched to Hybrid audio for the time being...
I am running a zed amp until I redue the sub system.
I love that zed amp as much as the mcintosh's.

It must be nice to have a Focal dealer intown so you can demo their stuff... My selection around here is somewhat limited.
What kind of Mc gear do you have at home? Family has a Mc system from the 70's, **** thing sounds better than most of the new "name brand" stuff made today...

I tend to like (or i'm tuned to) American amps and German speakers.

My home system is an old McIntosh amp and pre-amp (C501) with Magnat speakers (German)
When I use headphones I like Grado but prefer AKG (German again)

So it makes sense that my car audio would be a US amp (PP) and German speakers (MBQ)

Regarding Denon~my first CD player was a Denon flagship.
It was the warmest sounding player at that time.
Sorry to hear they're not the bang for the buck company anymore.
But I guess companies change...I heard MB Q no longer builds in Germany and are not the company they use to be.

Right now I use the Oppo 95 to run my home system and I couldn't be happier.