PDA

View Full Version : foam baffles behind speakers

robertoyoung08
12-27-2012, 07:02 AM
has anyone tried putting foam baffles behind their speakers in their doors?

i ran into these:

XTC 6-1/2" Round Large Frame Foam Baffle Pair 260-788 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-788&scqty=1)

i'm not sure if they would make a noticeable difference or if it would be a waste of my money.
i already have a decent amount of deading IN the door where the magnet/basket sits and on the "baffle" where the speaker is drilled to, but wondering if these would improve sound

militarymisfit
12-27-2012, 07:26 AM
I used them on another of my old jeep audio builds. I only used them to help keep the elements off and to prolong the life of the equipment. Maybe it was just my imagination but my speakers sounded a little "fuller" or "warmer" after I added them. Mine was in a jeep, and not in the doors, had lots of cool air to keep any heat issues away, and in an open air environment... a completely different situation than what you'll be using them in. So in a way, everything I just wrote should have no applicability to you... So now I'm just rambling... I'll stop.

subzero
12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
I used them in my rear deck to keep the subs and mids from cancelling. I also added a litle poly fill to change the pitch of the 6x9. Give them a try.

maylar
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
They're really just intended to protect the speaker from the elements, and they do that well. I have them in an old install and will probably put them in the latest one as well but I don't expect an improvement in SQ - it's just to keep the speakers dry.

mklett33
12-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I have those on 6.5"s. They do seem warmer, I think they are cheap enough to warrant the purchase. Especially if you have expensive speakers, might as well protect them.

robertoyoung08
12-30-2012, 06:48 AM
I used them on another of my old jeep audio builds. I only used them to help keep the elements off and to prolong the life of the equipment. Maybe it was just my imagination but my speakers sounded a little "fuller" or "warmer" after I added them. Mine was in a jeep, and not in the doors, had lots of cool air to keep any heat issues away, and in an open air environment... a completely different situation than what you'll be using them in. So in a way, everything I just wrote should have no applicability to you... So now I'm just rambling... I'll stop.

hahah. thanks for the response man. well, ive gone ahead and ordred them. they are cheap enough where im okay with just giving them a try. if they make a good difference i would be very happy though. i am suspecting that they MUST have SOME affect on the speaker and the sound. why? well because even though this may or not just be to prevent them from the elements, regardless they are being put into a small "enclosure" of its own. and in the process of protecting them from the elements they are completey separated from the rest of the door, which would normally act as the enclosure to the speaker.

I used them in my rear deck to keep the subs and mids from cancelling. I also added a litle poly fill to change the pitch of the 6x9. Give them a try.

thanks for the response. they were ordred and will be installed soon. hopefully a good result and hopefully they fit my speakers. im going to house them on hybrid audio clarus mids, which are about 3 inches deep.

They're really just intended to protect the speaker from the elements, and they do that well. I have them in an old install and will probably put them in the latest one as well but I don't expect an improvement in SQ - it's just to keep the speakers dry.

thanks for the reply to you tooo man. as i mentioned to militarymisfit, above, i feel like it must still have an effect on sound. it completely changes the environment of the speaker. but i guess i will see.

I have those on 6.5"s. They do seem warmer, I think they are cheap enough to warrant the purchase. Especially if you have expensive speakers, might as well protect them.

exactly, cheap enough to try. i went ahead and ordred them. will post pictures of install as well as a quick review of any impact on the speaker. i feel like this might (to some extent) defeat the purpose of deadning. no in the case of rattling or noise prevention from the outside in, though.

maylar
12-30-2012, 08:51 AM
The foam material they're made from doesn't constitute an "enclosure" by any stretch. But nobody seems to report bad things from them, and they're cheap enough to give them a try. Please report back after you do.

gckless
12-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Point of them is, as reported, to protect from elements, but more importantly, to seperate rear and front waves. If you do a proper door install I think they would be unnecessary, but seem like a good option if you're not going all-out on your doors. This is without any firsthand experience with them either, take that how you will. But if you do end up using them, report on what you found!

Kingstroker
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a set ordered also. I'm worried about moisture exposure and plan to cut most of the bottom side out to eliminate any air flow restriction. On a before mentioned comment, I was playing around with polyfill when I installed my 6x8(TS-Ds) in the rear. I put it loosely 6' above, behind and 6" below in the cab corner cavity. It touched the magnets but not the basket. It cut the sound by over 50%, extremely muffled, pulded it out. It may make mid bass/bass deeper but kills higher Fs.

frogcase2002
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Never seen these. So knowone has had a problem with them getting in the way of windows? I mite try them

robertoyoung08
12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
these will probably be up for sale as soon as they arrive. I just realized that these new mids that i threw in the door are so deep in the door that i only have a few centimeters between the window and then magnet, so i dont really have any extra room to throw these behind the speakers.

i might try them just to see what happens but i do not know if i want to even bother with popping out the door pannels and then the speakers if they wont stay in.

any offers on them? they were about 20 shipped.

nutnbutcustm
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
If you take them and coat the inside with resin and then make a thin mountinr ring for them they will greatly improve sq, i use these in all my setups and it really does help with cancelation in the rear decks.

robertoyoung08
01-02-2013, 12:35 AM
If you take them and coat the inside with resin and then make a thin mountinr ring for them they will greatly improve sq, i use these in all my setups and it really does help with cancelation in the rear decks.

thanks for the tip. once i get them in illl see if i can even get them to fit in my doors. otherwise they will be for sale

nvturbo
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Never seen these. So knowone has had a problem with them getting in the way of windows? I mite try them

They've been around for quite some time now. It's just protection for the speakers, nothing really for sound improvement.

Snapper_Slapper
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I just bought some off amazon for a pair of RF 6.5 comps I put in my sons car. I'd seen them a long time ago and always thought they'd be great. Wrong! They completely killed the midbass. So bad the stock 5.25 in the other door walked all over the Fosgate I'd just put in. I did end up using them both as gaskets though because the hole size was a little off going from the 5.25's to 6.5's. I just cut the back off the foam pod and now they sound fine.