PDA

View Full Version : Box gets a lot of moisture on it.. Any ideas on how to prevent it?

alec14
12-26-2012, 10:13 PM
My box is in the trunk of my car, with the back seats up. And when I pop my trunk sometimes and check out my box, the moisture from the rest of the trunk just seems to gravitate onto it, and just cover my box and subs. Is there any way to prevent this? My box isn't carpeted, would that help? Any input on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

gckless
12-26-2012, 10:24 PM
You should probably figure out where all the moisture is coming from. Personally I wouldn't care so much about the box, but would be very concerned about the amp.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 10:26 PM
You should probably figure out where all the moisture is coming from. Personally I wouldn't care so much about the box, but would be very concerned about the amp.

this, find the leak in your trunk and put a stop to it

double 07
12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
sounds like you have a bad gasket somewhere.....maybe the trunk seal is bad and is letting the night air in and then it condensates on everything......

Bettr n' Revrse
12-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Or tail lights

alec14
12-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Yeah, that's my big concern as well. I don't want the amps to get wet and spark or something.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

sounds like you have a bad gasket somewhere.....maybe the trunk seal is bad and is letting the night air in and then it condensates on everything......

Are those easy fixes?

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

this, find the leak in your trunk and put a stop to it

Where would a trunk usually leak from?

kushy_dreams
12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, that's my big concern as well. I don't want the amps to get wet and spark or something.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Are those easy fixes?

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Where would a trunk usually leak from?

window glass, body seam, rubber gaskets, tail lights, there are many places.

alec14
12-27-2012, 10:51 AM
window glass, body seam, rubber gaskets, tail lights, there are many places.

Okay, thanks. I'll be checking all over pretty soon.

brooklynjoy2008
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Good luck, I used silicon around the light mounts and any other place it could leak in from. I ended up pulling everything out and using a can of undercarriage coating on the whole trunk before it stopped.

tc300
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
What kind of car is it..??? And have you ever been rear ended???

mklett33
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Note that moisture is sometimes in the form of condensation, think about the inside of your windows when they fog, there is no leak but moisture is created. To prevent the wood from degrading you can give it a coat of fiberglass resin.

alec14
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Note that moisture is sometimes in the form of condensation, think about the inside of your windows when they fog, there is no leak but moisture is created. To prevent the wood from degrading you can give it a coat of fiberglass resin.

My box has had 2 layers of clearcoat applied to it, think that will help?

alec14
12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
What kind of car is it..??? And have you ever been rear ended???

It's a 2007 Chevy Malibu, and it hasn't been rear ended, but the person I bought it from had backed into a light pole, and the bumper is a little off, and the original taillight was cracked, so I replaced it.

.... I think what I just said may have answered my question, lol

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Good luck, I used silicon around the light mounts and any other place it could leak in from. I ended up pulling everything out and using a can of undercarriage coating on the whole trunk before it stopped.

How did you cover your whole trunk in it? Did you tear out all the carpet to do it?

brooklynjoy2008
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
It's a 2007 Chevy Malibu, and it hasn't been rear ended, but the person I bought it from had backed into a light pole, and the bumper is a little off, and the original taillight was cracked, so I replaced it.

.... I think what I just said may have answered my question, lol

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

How did you cover your whole trunk in it? Did you tear out all the carpet to do it?

Yeah I pulled everything out, sprayed it all, and let it set for a few days before I put it back together.

alec14
12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah I pulled everything out, sprayed it all, and let it set for a few days before I put it back together.

And it worked good after that? I might try your silicone idea, I have quite a bit of that at my disposal.

brooklynjoy2008
12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I should not have said the whole trunk, it was the back half. But yeah it stopped the leak. I tried everything else first though, at one point I crawled through the back seat and was trying to find the leak with a flashligh, to no avail though.

tc300
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM

.... I think what I just said may have answered my question, lol[COLOR="Silver"]

Do you have pass through on your back seat..?? If so take your equipment out and see if you can see light shinning through.. Or if your small enough (a lil brother or tiny GF will work also) crawl in the trunk and feel for air coming in.... That's how I found my leak.. I did mine during a heavy rain... Was looking in the TOTALLY wrong area. Lol. Bought some 3m weather striping and solved it!

alec14
12-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I should not have said the whole trunk, it was the back half. But yeah it stopped the leak. I tried everything else first though, at one point I crawled through the back seat and was trying to find the leak with a flashligh, to no avail though.

Haha, I may just have to crawl in the back sometime and see where it could be coming from. I checked today, and my box and amps had some cold frost on them... Not sure if that's good or bad.

alec14
12-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Do you have pass through on your back seat..?? If so take your equipment out and see if you can see light shinning through.. Or if your small enough (a lil brother or tiny GF will work also) crawl in the trunk and feel for air coming in.... That's how I found my leak.. I did mine during a heavy rain... Was looking in the TOTALLY wrong area. Lol. Bought some 3m weather striping and solved it!

I have to fold down my back seats to access the trunk, but I may just have a friend crawl in and see if they can feel any spots, or I may just do it myself. How would you apply the weather stripping to the trunk to fix it?