PDA

View Full Version : Trunk box

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I just got a 99 Saturn SL2 to play with and instead of buying a new sub, I've decided to throw my HDC3 18 in it. I'm gonna try for 6 cubes in the box in my Tahoe, so what would be the best configuration? Sub back port back? Sub up port side? Wall it behind the back seat? The back seat has to be functional because I always have people in my car.

NASTY08IMPALA
12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Sub up port side

pro-rabbit
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
sub up and port side or back...that is about your only options

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Ok thanks guys. Does it matter which side? And should I use an aero port or slot port?

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 08:38 PM
After port and sub displacements I doubt you will be able to fit something that big in a saturn. A sheet of wood is 2cu/ft, then port + sub disp will be a minimum of another cu/ft, so you're up to 9cu/ft. You'd have to wall off the trunk and use the whole trunk as your enclosure.

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
After port and sub displacements I doubt you will be able to fit something that big in a saturn. A sheet of wood is 2cu/ft, then port + sub disp will be a minimum of another cu/ft, so you're up to 9cu/ft. You'd have to wall off the trunk and use the whole trunk as your enclosure.

I was considering that. The trunk space equals out to 12.1 cubic feet according to saturn but of course not all of it is usable space. Once i get my sub down here I'll figure out how much space exactly I have to work with. Most likely I'll be using an aero port to save on a little space but if I have to I can adjust the size and tuning to accommodate.

Also, what size aero should I use? And should I use multiple?

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I would do a single 10inch round port, that gives you 13sq/in of port per cube if you are able to do 6cu/ft.

pro-rabbit
12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
You will have to use some sort of round port or similar and you may even need to build in the car itself.

NASTY08IMPALA
12-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I would do a single 10inch round port, that gives you 13sq/in of port per cube if you are able to do 6cu/ft.

Thats not much port for a aq

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Thats not much port for a aq

13sq/in per cube is plenty for a round port design. Round ports are more efficient so you can get away with a smaller opening. Not to mention op doesn't have a lot of space to work with so a single 10 incher would be perfect imo.

NASTY08IMPALA
12-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Good luck on this man..like shovin 10lbs shlt in 5lb bag

mazdakid
12-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Just build the box inside the trunk. How close is the start of the spare tire well to the openong of the back seats? If its close enough you could use that to get the extra height you need to fire the sub forward.

TaylorFade
12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I love when people measure out their trunks and give these huge numbers. My trunk is over 11 cubes and wrestling a 3 net cube box in there is a challenge. And takes up the whole f'n trunk.

Unless you want to build inside the trunk, the most important dimensions is your trunk opening. I have 42" x 16ish useable inside the trunk, but I can only shoehorn 30" x 14" through the opening.

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I love when people measure out their trunks and give these huge numbers. My trunk is over 11 cubes and wrestling a 3 net cube box in there is a challenge. And takes up the whole f'n trunk.

Unless you want to build inside the trunk, the most important dimensions is your trunk opening. I have 42" x 16ish useable inside the trunk, but I can only shoehorn 30" x 14" through the opening.

Like I said above, that measurement was from Saturn. And of course not all of it is going to be usable. If I do end up putting the 18 in there, the box will be put in through the back seats.

Someone on here fit a 18 in there Saturn SL in the build logs so its not impossible. Can't remember who though

gckless
12-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Exactly this. I have a pretty big trunk, but am running 10's because I can't fit anything bigger through the opening of my trunk. Didn't want to build inside.

JoeK
12-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I can fit up to about 5.8 in mine based on trunk opening measurements

kushy_dreams
12-27-2012, 02:39 AM
I can fit up to about 5.8 in mine based on trunk opening measurements

then you should do a single 15 or 2 12s. The 12s will have roughly 10-15% less cone area than the 18, which isn't very much. You need to allow airflow around the box to allow the sound waves to pressurize the cabin. Just because you can cram something in that takes up all the available space, doesnt mean its a good idea.

JoeK
12-27-2012, 03:10 AM
then you should do a single 15 or 2 12s. The 12s will have roughly 10-15% less cone area than the 18, which isn't very much. You need to allow airflow around the box to allow the sound waves to pressurize the cabin. Just because you can cram something in that takes up all the available space, doesnt mean its a good idea.

i wasnt OP btw, but i was thinking of buying dtroms hcca 12s and run a pair of them in about 4cuft 32hz