PDA

View Full Version : Which CDT mids to get...

av83
12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
So I blew my mids, cuz I'm a dummy. Now, I'm trying to decide on what to replace them with. I'm looking for mids that will perform well on 120 wrms. They'll be band-passed. 60 or 70hz@-24db/oct(preferably) on the low end and 3.55khz@-12db/oct on the upper end.

These will be in my doors, well deadened, sealed with foam, and with fiberglass batt mat bagged behind them(provided the window will clear).

Any suggestions? I am already strongly leaning towards the HD-6(newer style). The price that they can be found for seems really decent for the performance.

I'm also considering: EU 6, QES 670, and ES-06.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

splwj47
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
i would do the es-06. also i know the cdt's dont like to be highpassed that low. are u running them passive or active?

trumpet
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
The HD-6 is a really good choice. I would stay away from the mids rated for a top end frequency response of 4 kHz, but that's my personal preference. With the HD-6MDVCs I found the lower top end lends to very poor sounding midrange, which means you push more work onto the tweeters with a lower crossover point. ES-06 might work out better with those crossover points. They should play fine in doors with a high pass of 60-70Hz at 24 dB/octave on 120W RMS. If they don't like it raise the crossover to 80 Hz.

I have a pair of ES-06s(the newest style) in stock as well as the HD-E6 mids from the HD-61 and HD-61a sets.

av83
12-26-2012, 03:19 PM
i would do the es-06. also i know the cdt's dont like to be highpassed that low. are u running them passive or active?

Active. And my entry level cdt's (similar to the cl-6) were high passed at 70@-24db. They played very well in that range until I raised the gain too high for them on my highs amp(see sig). I set it correctly, it was just too much for them at that frequency.

The models I'm looking at should handle it.

av83
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
The HD-6 is a really good choice. I would stay away from the mids rated for a top end frequency response of 4 kHz, but that's my personal preference. With the HD-6MDVCs I found the lower top end lends to very poor sounding midrange, which means you push more work onto the tweeters with a lower crossover point. ES-06 might work out better with those crossover points. They should play fine in doors with a high pass of 60-70Hz at 24 dB/octave on 120W RMS. If they don't like it raise the crossover to 80 Hz.

I have a pair of ES-06s(the newest style) in stock as well as the HD-E6 mids from the HD-61 and HD-61a sets.

Thanks you for the info. My last set was rated to play "up to and beyond 5khz" and I was very impressed with how far high they reached with clarity. That's why I thought the tweet went out, lol... Anyways, that set also impressed me enough to want to stick with CDT.