PDA

View Full Version : How to make my trunk the loudest?

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I currently have a 12" Sundown Audio Nightshade and im about to put both in there and i want it to be the loudest possible. It will be in a 2010 Nissan Altima and will be ran off a DDM3A at 1 ohm. Any help would be greatly appreciated

JoeK
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Put it in the right box... and wire it?

myjaja
12-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Hmm, for onee.. You can start off by sending me your xs power d3100 battery. That should get you pretty loud. :D

Bettr n' Revrse
12-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Seal them off into the cab

gckless
12-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I currently have a 12" Sundown Audio Nightshade and im about to put both in there and i want it to be the loudest possible. It will be in a 2010 Nissan Altima and will be ran off a DDM3A at 1 ohm. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Both what? What box do you have it in? What install work have you done?

RangerDangerV2
12-25-2012, 11:44 PM

no.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

try about 2.5 cu ft tuned tuned to 30 ish with a single 6 inch aero. subs forward, port to the side.

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Im saying im about to make a box for 2 of them, a 2 12" box.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Hmm, for onee.. You can start off by sending me your xs power d3100 battery. That should get you pretty loud. :D

Tempting :rolleyes:

RangerDangerV2
12-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Im saying im about to make a box for 2 of them, a 2 12" box.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Tempting :rolleyes:

the specs that I gave are for two of them :fyi:

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-25-2012, 11:47 PM
the specs that I gave are for two of them :fyi:

So subs forwards facing the seats or subs back port back?

RangerDangerV2
12-25-2012, 11:51 PM
So subs forwards facing the seats or subs back port back?

do your seats fold down? if so then face them forward with the seats folded down. if they dont fold down they you are fawked.

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-25-2012, 11:52 PM
do your seats fold down? if so then face them forward with the seats folded down. if they dont fold down they you are fawked.

Yes they fold down

mazdakid
12-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Wire them lower than 1 ohm on the m3a if ya can. They really put out some power wired down low.

RangerDangerV2
12-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes they fold down

then build what I said. subs forward, port to the side.

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-25-2012, 11:58 PM
then build what I said. subs forward, port to the side.

Can you design me a box?

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Wire them lower than 1 ohm on the m3a if ya can. They really put out some power wired down low.

What do they do at .5?

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Can you design me a box?

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

What do they do at .5?

pm me. I might as well just tell you right now that designs are $25. but I own 2 nsv2 12s myself so I have some good experience with them....

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:03 AM
pm me. I might as well just tell you right now that designs are $25. but I own 2 nsv2 12s myself so I have some good experience with them....

Pm'd

gckless
12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Can you design me a box?

What do they do at .5?

Do you have the electrical for that? And I would think 2 NS's would like more than a M3a wouldn't they?

mazdakid
12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
**** ranger charging $25 now for designs?
How long you been doing designs for?

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:06 AM

about an hour... jk started in july. I cant do 6th orders yet and Im still perfecting 4ths. 25 is pretty much what everyone charges anyways... and if you remember im doing 6 free designs as well...

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:07 AM

Agreed.. Sounding like PWK

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Do you have the electrical for that? And I would think 2 NS's would like more than a M3a wouldn't they?

you would be surprised at what they can do on low power... ive heard a 47 on 900 watts to the pair that I have... and that was in the trunk at about mid 30hz range...

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:08 AM
about an hour... jk started in july. I cant do 6th orders yet and Im still perfecting 4ths. 25 is pretty much what everyone charges anyways... and if you remember im doing 6 free designs as well...

Is there any way i could do a 4th order? :inlove:

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Is there any way i could do a 4th order? :inlove:

would not be a good idea with the shades... they would not like a 4th too much. and I doubt that a 4th would get you louder. do what I said and your trunk will turn into a 6th though... you may have to make the box bigger or smaller though depending on what the front chamber wants...

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
would not be a good idea with the shades... they would not like a 4th too much. and I doubt that a 4th would get you louder. do what I said and your trunk will turn into a 6th though... you may have to make the box bigger or smaller though depending on what the front chamber wants...

Well i just want it loudest as possible.. I pmd you

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:30 AM
or you could do what everyone else says when I post something... "dont listen to ranger, build a big box that is super peaky and can barely play down to 30hz. then you will be loud, ranger doesnt know what he is talking about"

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:37 AM
or you could do what everyone else says when I post something... "dont listen to ranger, build a big box that is super peaky and can barely play down to 30hz. then you will be loud, ranger doesnt know what he is talking about"

WHOA WHOA never said i was going to build a big box and make it peaky young man

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 12:39 AM
WHOA WHOA never said i was going to build a big box and make it peaky young man

I am referring to what everyone says whenever I post something about enclosures. people just cant accept something that is out of the norm. but if you want to be loud, do something ridiculously stupid that nobody thinks will work.

SUNDOWNBITCH
12-26-2012, 12:43 AM
I am referring to what everyone says whenever I post something about enclosures. people just cant accept something that is out of the norm. but if you want to be loud, do something ridiculously stupid that nobody thinks will work.

Well i might do what you said never said i wasent

Danometal
12-26-2012, 12:44 AM

You've piqued my interest with your trunk design of port sideways into the trunk and subs forward. How far back is the port opening? Mid trunk? Rear quarter panel? I like to design unorthodox enclosures myself.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 12:58 AM

you need to pay a vendor fee if you are selling your designs on here.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 01:00 AM

bigger boxes are acutally less peaky and have better low end extension, sounds like you got more learnings to do

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 01:08 AM
bigger boxes are acutally less peaky and have better low end extension, sounds like you got more learnings to do

Hahaha very true

Danometal
12-26-2012, 01:16 AM

I respectfully disagree. I've noticed larger volume boxes have a higher db peak, depending on tuning frequency. Larger boxes do have a far greater potential to pound down low, tuning dependent.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 01:28 AM
I respectfully disagree. I've noticed larger volume boxes have a higher db peak, depending on tuning frequency. Larger boxes do have a far greater potential to pound down low, tuning dependent.

Well you need to learn more about enclosure design as well. Big boxes are always going to be more efficient and generally play less peaky. Qts and Vas are also important variables. For instance, a woofer with a high qts (~.8) will need a larger box than a woofer with a qts of say .3, in order to play flat (assuming same vas)

How many boxes have you built to base your assumption on? I'm willing the bet the answer is somewhere between none and not very many.

gramser57
12-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Just finished helping my friend design a box for his 2001 Accord that has the fold down seats. We did subs firing into the cabin and port firing into the passenger side wheel well and it was noticeably louder than his old setup which was sub and port facing rear. When designing enclosures the one thing you got to calculate is your vent mach, and keeping it between 20-25m/sec or else you are not maximizing the full potential output of your sub.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Well you need to learn more about enclosure design as well. Big boxes are always going to be more efficient and generally play less peaky. Qts and Vas are also important variables. For instance, a woofer with a high qts (~.8) will need a larger box than a woofer with a qts of say .3, in order to play flat (assuming same vas)

How many boxes have you built to base your assumption on? I'm willing the bet the answer is somewhere between none and not very many.

While my respectful disagreeing being met with disrespect makes things more colorful, I wasn't talking about apples with a Qts of .8 vs. oranges with a Qts of .3 in the big vs. little box query. I was hoping to imply all things being equal save the box volume. Open up any box builder/design program of your choice, and model a 2 ft^3 box @ 33 hz with whatever 12 inch sub. Now make it 4 ft^3. The peaks gets higher almost every time. If you were to build said boxes, the 4 footer would sound peakier too.

IMO

Peace.

audiobaun
12-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Rip the seat out, and Wall it up.Be the loudest I think/my opinion..Can always put seat back stock later if you decide to sell the car.

IonRL205
12-26-2012, 01:50 AM
While my respectful disagreeing being met with disrespect makes things more colorful, I wasn't talking about apples with a Qts of .8 vs. oranges with a Qts of .3 in the big vs. little box query. I was hoping to imply all things being equal save the box volume. Open up any box builder/design program of your choice, and model a 2 ft^3 box @ 33 hz with whatever 12 inch sub. Now make it 4 ft^3. The peaks gets higher almost every time. If you were to build said boxes, the 4 footer would sound peakier too.

IMO

Peace.

I had a box for a single 15 that was on the small side and it was peaky

My box for my two 10s is on the big side for them and its not peaky at all

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 01:54 AM

IMO

Peace.

Are you shitting me? The larger box is the one that will drop the tuning and flatten the curve. And 99% of those programs arent accurate because they dont consider cabin gain.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8265/99097910.jpg

2 different woofers there, not considering cabin gain, both show that the LARGER box has a flatter curve if you pay close attention

Bettr n' Revrse
12-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Rip the seat out, and Wall it up.Be the loudest I think/my opinion..Can always put seat back stock later if you decide to sell the car.

According to the kid with the Ranger it wont be

Danometal
12-26-2012, 01:58 AM
I had a box for a single 15 that was on the small side and it was peaky

My box for my two 10s is on the big side for them and its not peaky at all

Definitely a better response here. Thank you for not assuming I've never designed and built any successful boxes for simply arriving at a different conclusion from my experiences from designing and building several different boxes with varying design goals.

Hittin the sheets.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Are you shitting me? The larger box is the one that will drop the tuning and flatten the curve. And 99% of those programs arent accurate because they dont consider cabin gain.

You're still looking at two different fruits. Of course increasing net volume will LOWER the tuning, thus FLATTENING the response. My example was 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs 4 ft^3 @ 33 hz, not 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs. whatever the tuning ends up being at 4 ft^3 while leaving the port size the same for the 2 foot box.

I don't even know why we're debating this really. If I'm being unclear, I apologize. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Peace.

Edit: Yes, I know the programs consider the listening environment to be anechoic.

Edit #2 (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) : I just noticed your screen print. Thank you for proving with the red and yellow graphs that the same woofer tuned the exact same, in twice the space, will definitely have the higher peak.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 02:09 AM
You're still looking at two different fruits. Of course increasing net volume will LOWER the tuning, thus FLATTENING the response. My example was 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs 4 ft^3 @ 33 hz, not 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs. whatever the tuning ends up being at 4 ft^3 while leaving the port size the same for the 2 foot box.

I don't even know why we're debating this really. If I'm being unclear, I apologize. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Peace.

You are being unclear, the example I posted kept tuning and port size the same and the only variable was volume, I'm trying to show how the curve flattens as volume goes up and nothing else is changed. You never mentioned anything about changing port size until this most recent post. You're not making any sense here.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 02:14 AM
You are being unclear, the example I posted kept tuning and port size the same and the only variable was volume, I'm trying to show how the curve flattens as volume goes up and nothing else is changed. You never mentioned anything about changing port size until this most recent post. You're not making any sense here.

Check my edits in my above post. You were the one who mentioned anything about the tuning changing. I said ALL things equal save the net volume right after you disagreed with me initially.. I thought that was clear enough. But, if it still wasn't, I apologize.

Sorry for the thread jack.

IMO

Peace.

brandinooooo
12-26-2012, 03:01 AM
The easiest way to look at your little debate is sealed boxes. A woofer in a small sealed box is going to be extremely peaky with a weak low-end. The output of the same sub in a bigger box will be more flat and have more of a low-end.

If I had my computer I would post a pic of this in winisd.

/end thread jack
/end dumb debate

NoLoud4U
12-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Change your name to terry brocks, get 4 DC XL m2 12 with two DD M4s. Oh and a burp box.

dbeez
12-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Lots of funnies in this thread

dbeez
12-26-2012, 06:27 AM
I will let my trunk builds speak for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3j4E8KMp1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mazdakid
12-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Doesnt seem to be moving much air for a pair of 12s and a sundown 4500.

dbeez
12-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Nope not at all. Notice the heavy shirt

rebelfromva
12-26-2012, 09:00 AM

This.

gckless
12-26-2012, 09:07 AM
This thread brings the lulz.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
The easiest way to look at your little debate is sealed boxes. A woofer in a small sealed box is going to be extremely peaky with a weak low-end. The output of the same sub in a bigger box will be more flat and have more of a low-end.

If I had my computer I would post a pic of this in winisd.

/end thread jack
/end dumb debate

To be fair, the only reason there ever was a dumb debate is because I was being pushed to say the same exact thing, in different ways, over and over. Keep in mind that I agreed in my original post that a larger volume has the potential to yield the greatest low end extension. Apples were compared to oranges, and now you're comparing bananas with the sealed boxes. Allow me to post some cliffs since this got convoluted so fast.

Apples - Same sub, same tuning frequency, increased net volume = higher peak (my position 100% of the time)
Oranges - Same sub, port size and length staying put, increased net volume = lower peak (was mistakenly assumed to be the position I contested xx% of the time)
Bananas - Same sub, sealed box, increased net volume = lower peak (your position somehow being the rebuttal to my position)

It can't get any clearer than that.

Convenience would have it that Kushy_Dreams posted a screen print that proves exactly this, minus the sealed box:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8265/99097910.jpg

/thread jack

Peace.

RangerDangerV2
12-26-2012, 09:29 AM
what you people fail to realize, is that we are talking about a trunk here. a small box with smallish port area acts as the rear chamber of a sixth order... because that is what we are making the trunk into when we add a bass reflex enclosure. Now op may have to play with enclosure size to mess with the size of both the front and the rear chamber, but im telling you, make this one 2.5 cu ft, with a 6" aero firing to the side, subs forward.

hispls
12-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Once you figure out the accoustics of your car's cabin winISD is a very accurate tool in predicting response. In the world of designing boxes there is absolutely no substitute for experience. You'll want to try a dozen different things for one car before you begin to get an idea how various things change output and response.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Once you figure out the accoustics of your car's cabin winISD is a very accurate tool in predicting response. In the world of designing boxes there is absolutely no substitute for experience. You'll want to try a dozen different things for one car before you begin to get an idea how various things change output and response.

This.

kushy_dreams
12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Check my edits in my above post. You were the one who mentioned anything about the tuning changing. I said ALL things equal save the net volume right after you disagreed with me initially.. I thought that was clear enough. But, if it still wasn't, I apologize.

Sorry for the thread jack.

I think we are talking about 2 different things and just confusing each other, I'm trying to say a larger volume flattens the peak and gives a wider bandwidth and I think you're saying the larger box has a higher peak on the db reference scale. We are both right. I was all fucked up last night and I like to argue for the sake of arguing when I get buzzed.

pro-rabbit
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I would do your own research OP and then figure out the best options. Basing ideas and thoughts off of a program with out knowing anything about the car will just net a result you do not intend to get. Now if you know the peaks and nulls of your car then you can use a program and design around them.

As for the 2.5ft3 for 2 12s with a 6" port. I do not suggest that unless you are just burping your setup.

pro-rabbit
12-26-2012, 01:22 PM

This is truth.

If you are chasing numbers you will have a ton of builds in your future and you have no need to purchase a design from anyone. If you are into SQ, then the same applies. If you just want "loud daily" kind of setup then that is different and you likely not need more then one design assuming you get a decent one at first.

Danometal
12-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I think we are talking about 2 different things and just confusing each other, I'm trying to say a larger volume flattens the peak and gives a wider bandwidth and I think you're saying the larger box has a higher peak on the db reference scale. We are both right. I was all fucked up last night and I like to argue for the sake of arguing when I get buzzed.

Fair enough bro. :)