PDA

View Full Version : Hey to you all!

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to sign up so here I am, what is up!

I have an 01 Impala and have had several systems thought the past 3 or so years. Started out with some 2 15" Lanzar MXW subs on a kicker zx460. Then got a hifonics BXI 1606 and never wired to them to an ohm only kept it at 4. I got rid of those and bought a DC lvl 3 12" which I had at 2 ohms for about 2 months or so, and then bought another to wire at an ohm. Had an MLA module installed in my car around then also. big 3 done in knu 1/0 and 2 runs of 2 gauge welding wire (+,-) ran to the back. I have installed kicker ks 6.5 coaxes in the front doors and some cheap 6x9s for rear fill off head unit power. Sold the level 3s cause I needed the money at the time, I know probably a bad idea but whats done is done. Some time after I got a Sony xplod 10" and dug out the old kicker kx120.2 that was stored away just to have some bass in the car, and despite all the negative reviews and what not the thing actually sounded good to me. so I had that for about a year until now that I had been waiting for Audio Technix to bring out their line of subs.

Got an 18" AT Strato sub, only one coil wired on the Kicker KX120.2 and I'm really happy with the outcome. I'd put the Hionics on it but it keeps going into protect so I need to find someone to fix it for me or just look around for some good power that won't break the bank. but for the time being how it is now, it is great!

if you've read this far then thanks for reading if not sorry about the long post. I will try to dig up ALL of my old pics and start a build log from the beginning till now or at least try to.

dragnix
12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Welcome. Tl;dr

mylows10
12-25-2012, 01:51 PM
welcome and talk to Spooney ; for the amp repair .if you'd like to get a new one then myself as well as many other vendors here can help you out

Dtrom
12-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Welcome! Murry Christmas!

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Welcome. Tl;dr

Thanks for the welcome.

welcome and talk to Spooney ; for the amp repair .if you'd like to get a new one then myself as well as many other vendors here can help you out

Thanks for the welcome. I will ask him soon. I will try once more locally since I remembered yesterday they had fixed my KX120.2 back when I got it several years ago. I had taken it to a install shop hoping they could fix it but the problem remained. Amp didn't smoke or anything, never got too hot and it'll play for a bit then switch to protect. I'm guessing I must have rattled something loose when I had it with the DC's.

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Welcome! Murry Christmas!

Thanks for the welcome, and yes Merry Christmas!

-01limited-
12-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Why only one coil hooked up on the sub? Or are those subs only svc, I havent looked at them yet.

mylows10
12-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. I will ask him soon. I will try once more locally since I remembered yesterday they had fixed my KX120.2 back when I got it several years ago. I had taken it to a install shop hoping they could fix it but the problem remained. Amp didn't smoke or anything, never got too hot and it'll play for a bit then switch to protect. I'm guessing I must have rattled something loose when I had it with the DC's.

yea maybe so ,the newer hifonics amps are not built very well at all ,pretty much budget junk if you ask me .i just did a lvl 2 15 with an extra spider for my daughter on 800 rms in a 3.5 cubic kerfed ported box in a trunk ,and it's pretty loud.

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Why only one coil hooked up on the sub? Or are those subs only svc, I havent looked at them yet.

It is dual 4 and they also sell dual 2, but the KX120.2 amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged so I didn't want to mess it up, have tried 2 ohms bridged before and the amps protects itself. and I didn't want to do series/parallel at 8 ohms

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 02:07 PM
yea maybe so ,the newer hifonics amps are not built very well at all ,pretty much budget junk if you ask me .i just did a lvl 2 15 with an extra spider for my daughter on 800 rms in a 3.5 cubic kerfed ported box in a trunk ,and it's pretty loud.

that's what I'm thinking but it had done good by me for what they are, this one especially since it is a factory refurb. don't know how, but I got it like that for a little over 100 so I was happy getting the power I did for the price I did.

the lvl 2 on a hifonics? I'd seen many people run them on YouTube do I said why not and I really liked the amp.

mylows10
12-25-2012, 02:10 PM
that's what I'm thinking but it had done good by me for what they are, this one especially since it is a factory refurb. don't know how, but I got it like that for a little over 100 so I was happy getting the power I did for the price I did.

the lvl 2 on a hifonics? I'd seen many people run them on YouTube do I said why not and I really liked the amp.

no it's on a massive n2 mini

7jezuz7
12-25-2012, 02:15 PM
no it's on a massive n2 mini

I was actually looking at those before on SonicElectronix. So you think those are good amps? I had never been across those until I saw them at Sonic.

Well in other words, would you recommend that one should I buy new?

mylows10
12-25-2012, 02:21 PM
they tend to get a bit hot but they sound good,i'd go with the american bass vfl hybrid instead .better quality and doesn't get hot

Spooney
12-25-2012, 03:28 PM
If you wanna have the hifonics repaired I may be able to help you out. May also be interested in buying it as is if you just wanted to move on and buy another amp. Just PM me and we can talk.

Spooney
12-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to sign up so here I am, what is up!

I have an 01 Impala and have had several systems thought the past 3 or so years. Started out with some 2 15" Lanzar MXW subs on a kicker zx460. Then got a hifonics BXI 1606 and never wired to them to an ohm only kept it at 4. I got rid of those and bought a DC lvl 3 12" which I had at 2 ohms for about 2 months or so, and then bought another to wire at an ohm. Had an MLA module installed in my car around then also. big 3 done in knu 1/0 and 2 runs of 2 gauge welding wire (+,-) ran to the back. I have installed kicker ks 6.5 coaxes in the front doors and some cheap 6x9s for rear fill off head unit power. Sold the level 3s cause I needed the money at the time, I know probably a bad idea but whats done is done. Some time after I got a Sony xplod 10" and dug out the old kicker kx120.2 that was stored away just to have some bass in the car, and despite all the negative reviews and what not the thing actually sounded good to me. so I had that for about a year until now that I had been waiting for Audio Technix to bring out their line of subs.

Got an 18" AT Strato sub, only one coil wired on the Kicker KX120.2 and I'm really happy with the outcome. I'd put the Hionics on it but it keeps going into protect so I need to find someone to fix it for me or just look around for some good power that won't break the bank. but for the time being how it is now, it is great!

if you've read this far then thanks for reading if not sorry about the long post. I will try to dig up ALL of my old pics and start a build log from the beginning till now or at least try to.

Just checked out the guts on that amp. I have repaired that style of amp many times before. I more than likely can get that thing going strong again.