PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Between Budget Speakers

EternityEchoes
12-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Alright, I don't know much about car audio, but I'm trying to replace the currently blown stock speakers in my 99 Camry. I'm on a pretty tight budget. I don't need, or expect to get anywhere near amazing quality with the amount I'm willing to spend (Preferably about 50$-60$ per set), but would like something that's an improvement over the stock.

It's not letting me post a link to the speakers, but I'm looking at possibly getting one of the below for my front speakers
Pioneer TS-G1644R
Pioneer TS-A1684R

I was wondering if it would be better to go with a bigger speaker (6 x 9) in the back like
Pioneer TS-A6964R

Or another set of whatever I go with for the front? If you guys have any other suggestions I'm certainly up to hear them. Also, at the moment I'm not planning on hooking up an amp, will the head unit be able to power the speakers alright? Head unit = Pioneer DEH-3400UB 50W x 4

Thanks for all the help,
David.

trumpet
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
My philosophy is always use the same size speaker as what the factory put in instead of downsizing with an adapter. There is always a good quality option out there to replace even oddball sizes. From Pioneer I would go with a TS-A model over a TS-G model. Also, I would choose a 3-way model instead of a 4-way. The lower level Pioneer coaxials have plenty of treble and not much bass in my experience.

It will cost you a bit more but I think you'd be happier with some JBL or Infinity speakers if you won't be installing an amplifier later. They're designed to get a little more power out of the tiny amplifier inside a radio. Also, they use a patented larger diameter cone that competing brands of the same advertised diameter don't offer. This helps the bass response.

Kingstroker
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
tallc has some Massive Audio comps at a good price. Trumpet makes a good point about efficiency of speakers that are run by HU power only, look for sensitivity ratings.