PDA

View Full Version : preventing air bubbles in fb

knotdrummer88
12-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Im doing my first fiberglass project and fiberglassing some pods for my doors. When I try to roll out the air bubbles in the mat the mat just sticks to the roller and it pulls it up, so i cant do that. How else can I get rid of the bubbles? Also, I am having a hard time fiberglassing around the corners of the pods with out it bubbling on the edge, how do I avoid that?
Thanks guys

americannight
12-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Instead of using a roller, use a cheap paintbrush to dabble the resin onto the mat. With a little patience you should be able to get it to lay down. Also tear your pieces of mat off instead of cutting them with scissors. The rough edges of the torn mat will be easier to lay down. If you can post a picture, that might help us see what you're working with and perhaps offer up some more ideas.

knotdrummer88
12-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Instead of using a roller, use a cheap paintbrush to dabble the resin onto the mat. With a little patience you should be able to get it to lay down. Also tear your pieces of mat off instead of cutting them with scissors. The rough edges of the torn mat will be easier to lay down. If you can post a picture, that might help us see what you're working with and perhaps offer up some more ideas.

well im using a brush to apply the resin, but i tried using a roller to simply get the bubbles out. and Im currently actually in bed, so ill have to get some pics tomorrow

americannight
12-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Right on. Maybe just use smaller pieces of mat in those difficult corner areas and it will behave better and/or try a different grade of mat, something lighter. At least at the shop I use for supplies, they have a few grades of mat for different applications.

mlstrass
12-24-2012, 06:55 AM
use 2 - 2 1/2" wide chip brushes, and cut the bristles down to about 1" long. Wet mat BEFORE placing it on pod. Place wet side on pod then wet out other side. Brush will allow you to dab resin into bubbles if necessary. Don't be afraid to use a lot of resin. As you get better you won't need as much and stuff will go on smoother.

Cut your mat into smaller pieces so you have around 1" overhang top and bottom...

Julian
12-24-2012, 07:12 AM
You need a fiberglass roller like this from USComposites,
Fiberglass Rollers Bubble Rollers - U.S. Composites, Inc. (http://www.uscomposites.com/fgrollers.html)

They work the best and usually will not stick to the fiberglass/Resin.. You can get it super smoove.

knotdrummer88
12-24-2012, 12:31 PM
ok cool, thanks guys

mklett33
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHFoksB1wk

This may help you.

maylar
12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
You can also put a piece of tinfoil between the mat and roller then carefully remove the foil when you're done rolling it.

Kangaroux
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
You can also put a piece of tinfoil between the mat and roller then carefully remove the foil when you're done rolling it.

This. Tin foil and wax paper are both very good.