PDA

View Full Version : Advice on SQ Component Speakers. Price Range $150-$300

wettems35
12-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I bought some boston acoustics last yr and my tweeters pretty much have blown out by now. I havent even checked if the mids or crossovers are still good. Anyway, I'm looking for some new components for sound quality. I wasnt really happy with the bostons. They will have to be 5.5's. Ive looked into the hybrid audio Imagines and have read good things. What other components rival those or trumps those in your opinion? Same price range of course

audiobaun
12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Beyma SCK50 5 25" 280 Watt Pair 2 Way Complete Component Speaker System | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyma-SCK50-5-25-280-watt-pair-2-Way-Complete-Component-Speaker-System-/390473823755?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5aea0db60b&vxp=mtr)
One of my nephews has this set, in a toyota xcab,little modification we did to make them fit in the 4x6 existing mounting area, but they sound absolutely fantastic on an old school Alpine Duo-B 3525..great speakers..I was going to recommend Hertz HSK, but about a$100 over your budget,,excellent SQ speakers

maylar
12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I have HAT Imagine 5.25's in my current install and they have good and bad points for me. They take power well, have great midbass and overall are really smooth sounding. But not as detailed as I like and certainly way different than any Boston speaker.

The Hertz ESK is within your budget too.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Beyma SCK50 5 25" 280 Watt Pair 2 Way Complete Component Speaker System | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyma-SCK50-5-25-280-watt-pair-2-Way-Complete-Component-Speaker-System-/390473823755?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5aea0db60b&vxp=mtr)
One of my nephews has this set, in a toyota xcab,little modification we did to make them fit in the 4x6 existing mounting area, but they sound absolutely fantastic on an old school Alpine Duo-B 3525..great speakers..I was going to recommend Hertz HSK, but about a$100 over your budget,,excellent SQ speakers

Interesting find. What would you compare them to overall?

Sonic.
12-23-2012, 10:45 AM
For the price, the hat is hard to beat.

PHD - USA
12-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I can get you a good deal on some PHD MF series components. I would put money on the fact that they would sound better than the imagines. Hell, even the CF line should sound about equal with the imagines. PHD - Speakers - Model MF 5.1 KIT - (http://www.phd.it/welcome_to/speakers/mf51_kit.asp)

audiobaun
12-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I have HAT Imagine 5.25's in my current install and they have good and bad points for me. They take power well, have great midbass and overall are really smooth sounding. But not as detailed as I like and certainly way different than any Boston speaker.

The Hertz ESK is within your budget too.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Interesting find. What would you compare them to overall?

i think that i would compare them to the older MB Quarts actually,,smooth clear and pretty clean,tweets are pretty crisp if you want, but can be quite smooth as well,,excellent midrange..go a little lower than a few that you hear or see on the market..If you want the best any speaker can offer,it also comes with the price of an excellent amplifier.I chose this amp, for one i had,two, this is considered one of the best version from Alpine in sq, and no joke in a bit of power.great speakers.i recommend them

neo_styles
12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I've heard mixed reviews about the Imagines as well. West ; wasn't too hot on them due to poor imaging quality. Plus, at 300 it would max out your budget. My personal recommendations would be Massive Audio CK6X, JBL MS-62c, Focal Polyglass (tweeters are touchy, though...placement is key), and even Sundown's new comps. Suprisingly enough, even though Jacob's not marketing the comps as a SQ set (he's working on prototyping his SQ line soon), they've been great performers.

I personally love my MS comps and once I have everything deadened and in place, you'll see a review for mine. So far, let me just say even my wife who's a car audio noob and not an audio snob could notice the massive jump in clarity and separation of notes. We heard basslines nonexistent in songs we'd previously heard, too, which brings a permanent smile to my face.

As with all speakers, though, your install is going to be key, so keep that in mind. Are you planning on doing this yourself?

West
12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I can get you a good deal on some PHD MF series components. I would put money on the fact that they would sound better than the imagines. Hell, even the CF line should sound about equal with the imagines. PHD - Speakers - Model MF 5.1 KIT - (http://www.phd.it/welcome_to/speakers/mf51_kit.asp)

pm me bff price on the phd's

West
12-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I've heard mixed reviews about the Imagines as well. West ; wasn't too hot on them due to poor imaging quality. Plus, at 300 it would max out your budget. My personal recommendations would be Massive Audio CK6X, JBL MS-62c, Focal Polyglass (tweeters are touchy, though...placement is key), and even Sundown's new comps. Suprisingly enough, even though Jacob's not marketing the comps as a SQ set (he's working on prototyping his SQ line soon), they've been great performers.

I personally love my MS comps and once I have everything deadened and in place, you'll see a review for mine. So far, let me just say even my wife who's a car audio noob and not an audio snob could notice the massive jump in clarity and separation of notes. We heard basslines nonexistent in songs we'd previously heard, too, which brings a permanent smile to my face.

As with all speakers, though, your install is going to be key, so keep that in mind. Are you planning on doing this yourself?

The thing about speakers is a lot of it is personal preference.
If I were the OP I would find a nice set of 3 way comps (new/used) and do a bang up install. Tweeter A-pillars and mid's in the kickpannels. Will be a gaint improvment. I am sure you could find something good ones for 300$.

neo_styles
12-23-2012, 02:43 PM
The thing about speakers is a lot of it is personal preference.
If I were the OP I would find a nice set of 3 way comps (new/used) and do a bang up install. Tweeter A-pillars and mid's in the kickpannels. Will be a gaint improvment. I am sure you could find something good ones for 300$.

What about the PPIs?

mylows10
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
look at the mmats components and some of the dls components ,and of course the cdt es models

wettems35
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM
How much are you looking to sell them for?

zako
12-24-2012, 10:42 AM
JBL MS-62C (6.5 inch woofer) have been getting good reviews all over place. Perhaps, by translation, the 5-1/4 inch version of these speakers also sounds good? I'd also look at JL Audio C5-525 comps.

As for HAT Imagine speakers, they are awesome as long as you run then fully active with crossover frequency between woofer and tweeter in the 5-6KHz range with sharp slopes. The key is to run them fully active because the supplied crossover "network" does not attenuate the tweeter sharply enough. With supplied passives, they sound very good, neutral and clear, when car is parked when engine is off, then once you start moving and turn up the volume the sound gets fatiguing. Even if you run HAT Imagine active as I suggested, it may also be a good idea to bump the frequencies above 2KHz with equalizer as a 6.5 inch woofer will have a dip in FR above about 2.5KHz (the 5 inch woofer will have dip perhaps above 3KHz). If you wish to use the passive crossovers, then consider using HAT Unity (the same woofer as Imagine, but comes with a better crossover network and Clarus tweeter).

PHD - USA
12-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Who are you talking to?

mylows10
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM

it depends on which model you are interested in cut there is a few i can suggest
CDT Audio HD 52 (http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/hd/hd52.htm)
Reference R5A - 2-way component 5,25 inches (http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_59)
Ultimate UP5i - 2-way component 5,25 inches (http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_584) these are a bit more than your budget
http://mmatsproaudio.com/proseries/ pro 5.2

wettems35
12-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Ill be getting them installed at a shop. I'm still somewhat of a noob so I'm really taking in what everyone here is saying. I appreciate it

neo_styles
12-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Ill be getting them installed at a shop. I'm still somewhat of a noob so I'm really taking in what everyone here is saying. I appreciate it

To be honest, I think you might actually end up doing a better job than most shops out here in LA. The only one I'd really recommend is Sound Man in Santa Clarita and they're ridiculously expensive. There's supposed to be another good installer close to West Hills that's on Hybrid's dealer list, but can't remember the name. Point is that you could save yourself several hundred doing this yourself, come out with a better product, and have the knowledge and pride that only DIY projects provide. I did my own comps install for the first time ever this weekend and, through what I've seen here and on DIYMA, am pretty sure that I wouldn't get a result this good without having spent a couple hundred in install costs. I can use that money for deadener :fyi:

gckless
12-25-2012, 12:39 AM

What shop? Unless it's a good, known shop, do this yourself. Read and learn how to do a proper install, as any of these speakers recommended will sound like poo without a good install. A decent install job isn't that hard, just may take some time and education.

audiobaun
12-25-2012, 01:50 AM

Man , those look pretty nice..Hows the price range on those in the 6.5 department?

PHD - USA
12-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Man , those look pretty nice..Hows the price range on those in the 6.5 department?

pm me and we can talk lol

Bettr n' Revrse
12-25-2012, 02:08 AM
pm me and we can talk lol

Or he could buy my diamond audio HEX's ;)

PHD - USA
12-25-2012, 02:10 AM
lolol

Bettr n' Revrse
12-25-2012, 02:11 AM
lolol

Just sayin lol

PHD - USA
12-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Just sayin lol

lol I know you are =P

wettems35
12-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Sent a pm

NoLoud4U
12-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Are you amping them? That should of been asked a long time ago

wettems35
12-25-2012, 06:21 AM
After doing research those jbl-ms52 have been getting the best reviews, especially considering the best bang for your buck. I will be amping them, so far im looking into getting a ppi phantom amp for them. I still have the boston acoustic amp that i used for the sr50s. But i might just rebuy the tweeters and throw those in another car or in the back seat and continue using that amp for those

btw, I will probably try installing these myself after you guys' suggestion. My tweeter blew out in less than a yr and i took it to get done at a place. I'll do some hw and do it myself this time

Bettr n' Revrse
12-25-2012, 06:23 AM
After doing research those jbl-ms52 have been getting the best reviews, especially considering the best bang for your buck. I will be amping them, so far im looking into getting a ppi phantom amp for them. I still have the boston acoustic amp that i used for the sr50s. But i might just rebuy the tweeters and throw those in another car or in the back seat and continue using that amp for those

OP If you are limited one mounting depth my Diamonds would be a good option...

wettems35
12-31-2012, 05:08 AM
If anyone can post links to videos, and how to install systems guides I would really appreciate it.

blakgtp
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
bumping this thread because I am looking for new front stage in the same budget. I'm after a warmer sound, hate harsh highs. how would I determine out of those speakers listed above, which ones would sound "warm" and which ones would be more detailed/brighter etc. ?

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 08:13 PM
bumping this thread because I am looking for new front stage in the same budget. I'm after a warmer sound, hate harsh highs. how would I determine out of those speakers listed above, which ones would sound "warm" and which ones would be more detailed/brighter etc. ?

Has to do with the presence of the mid. Warmer sets tend to have more midbass presence while the tweets are laid back. Bright sets will have a higher emphasis on the tweeter. They'll also be called crisp of overly detailed.

I picked my JBLs because I thought they were a good middle between both extremes. Plenty of midbass, well detailed (especially with live/acoustic instruments), but not shrill or sibilant.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Also keep in mind the harshness of a tweeter has more to do with install than it does the driver itself. Give it too many surfaces on which to reflect and even the best tweeters will sound awful. Most people prefer mounting their tweeters on the a-pillar roughly 2-3 inches above the highest point on the dash to minimize reflections.

Common beliefs when it comes to a tweeter's harshness has to be in its material. Textile domes (silk) are softer while metal domes (aluminum/titanium) are harsher. There are exceptions to every rule though...

blakgtp
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
thanks for the reply. Do you think I'd get better value for my dollar buying a component set, or piecing together a set? possibly with silver flutes for the mids. I've wanted to try a 3 way setup with dash pods, but I'm not sure if it's more trouble than it's worth.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
thanks for the reply. Do you think I'd get better value for my dollar buying a component set, or piecing together a set? possibly with silver flutes for the mids. I've wanted to try a 3 way setup with dash pods, but I'm not sure if it's more trouble than it's worth.

Are you already set up to go active? If so then yes, you can save yourself dough by piecing it together yourself. My personal recommendation would be the Dayton RS-180 mids and Vifa ring radiators for tweets. Both at Parts-Express.

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Or you could go nuts and get the planar magnetics on PE. Saw a setup of those planars on DIYMA and started drooling involuntarily.

blakgtp
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Are you already set up to go active? If so then yes, you can save yourself dough by piecing it together yourself. My personal recommendation would be the Dayton RS-180 mids and Vifa ring radiators for tweets. Both at Parts-Express.

Yes I have the clarion cz702 hu so I can go 2 or 3 way active. the thing i like about 3 way, is that I don't have to worry as much about the mid woofer being off axis, if the tweet and midrange are on axis. at least I think that's how it works? i'm kinda a noob

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes I have the clarion cz702 hu so I can go 2 or 3 way active. the thing i like about 3 way, is that I don't have to worry as much about the mid woofer being off axis, if the tweet and midrange are on axis. at least I think that's how it works? i'm kinda a noob

There's more to it than that. I'd consider starting 2-way and adding the midbass when you get the hang of things. Setting up a 3-way, from what I've heard, is a *****. Since you have an active-capable HU, you can use phasing, TA, and EQ to compensate for the lesser-than-optimal mounting locations of your mid and tweet. I'd spend some time in the DIYMA How-to section to learn a few tips and tricks for going active as well.

How are you able to mount your mid and tweet on axis, btw?

blakgtp
01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
There's more to it than that. I'd consider starting 2-way and adding the midbass when you get the hang of things. Setting up a 3-way, from what I've heard, is a *****. Since you have an active-capable HU, you can use phasing, TA, and EQ to compensate for the lesser-than-optimal mounting locations of your mid and tweet. I'd spend some time in the DIYMA How-to section to learn a few tips and tricks for going active as well.

How are you able to mount your mid and tweet on axis, btw?

I was going to make dash pods

neo_styles
01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I was going to make dash pods

That's smart. I'd say keep the dash pods as your plan and just go 2-way for now. Learn how to tune that active. You can always add the midbass later.

Ridinhi
01-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Can you pm me some info on the PhD mf 6.1 kit? And price

mlstrass
01-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Vifa xt25 ring radiator is an excellent sounding tweeter, but it needs to be mounted on-axis or output drops off a ton...

gckless
01-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Or you could go nuts and get the planar magnetics on PE. Saw a setup of those planars on DIYMA and started drooling involuntarily.

OMG yes. I did the same thing.

Chriszle
01-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but if you blew your tweeters in less than a year, you might want to find out what is causing the issue before spending money on more speakers. Also, the speakers you choose will only sound as good as the installation allows. Properly installed 50 dollar coaxials can sound as good or better than 300 dollar components that are poorly installed.

blakgtp
01-09-2013, 10:36 PM
so. I haven't made up my mind on the front stage yet because I've heard mixed things about the daytons rs180 and vifa radiator tweet combo. Do you think they will have enough output to keep up with my sub stage (sundown sa-15 on 1700watts, soon to be 2 sa-15's on 2500watts)? I'm pretty much a "SQL" guy. I like sq but it needs to be loud (at times). I'm thinking of giving the front stage 250 watts per side. 150watts per mid woofer and 100watts per tweet. (obviously tweets will never see that much) opinions?

trumpet
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
If you run your mids and tweeters in their pistonic range you don't even need them aimed on axis. This works if you apply the logic of keeping the speakers operating so their polar response is the same whether you're in the driver's seat or the passenger's seat. I did this with my latest setup so I have a 3-way entirely on/in the doors below the glass. I use the factory speaker location up front for a 6.5" driver and I have 2" mids and 1" tweeters on the door panel near the latches. I've found that in conjunction with my MS-8 for tuning I get better tonality and more stable imaging than I ever had with the mids and tweeters above the dash. Stage depth has been compromised only slightly and all sound is on the dash.

You can run 100W to tweeters that are rated for much less power if you use a high crossover frequency with a 24 dB/octave slope. This requires a midrange driver unless you use a woofer that can play up to or beyond 5 kHz or so. I have my tweeters crossed at 6 kHz with 120W RMS per tweeter.

blakgtp
01-10-2013, 09:23 PM
This works if you apply the logic of keeping the speakers operating so their polar response is the same whether you're in the driver's seat or the passenger's seat.

can you explain this more

trumpet
01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
can you explain this more

I was trying to type up my own explanation and it was coming out horribly. I found a post on DIYMA from Andy Wehmeyer of Harman International that is really chock full of information, but he goes over polar response and some related topics that are really valuable to know.
Flat response? (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/899143-post64.html)

Basically what I did in my car was keep my speakers very close together on each side and I chose my crossover points and slopes based on the diameter of the speakers and their proximity. My 6.5" drivers play up to 1 kHz, well before they start beaming, the 2" drivers play up to 6 kHz, just up to the edge of beaming, and the 1" tweeters play the rest. By intentionally preventing beaming(technically, the tweeters will beam but let's ignore that) I'm not so concerned about how far off axis my ears are from any of the speakers, and the same applies to my passenger.