PDA

View Full Version : Are multiple door speakers worth it?

orphe
12-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I heard that it is rather pointless as far as SQ goes because they cancel each other out. I have seen this setup done a lot of times but that donít mean itís the right thing to do. Just want some opinions about this since I am THINKING about doing this to my rear doors.

wickedwitt
12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Unless you are needing to overcome 155+ sub stage, no. Even then it's a stretch. I have single doors and kicks (took out the rear doors because of ext cab truck) and they are plenty for my sub stage, anything beyond would just be dumb.

BoomBoxStereo
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
I heard that it is rather pointless as far as SQ goes because they cancel each other out. I have seen this setup done a lot of times but that don’t mean it’s the right thing to do. Just want some opinions about this since I am THINKING about doing this to my rear doors.

i always wondered this... thanks for asking lol

maylar
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Rear doors? No. Front doors? OK, if you want separate midbass and midrange drivers.

mlstrass
12-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Depends upon your goals. I kinda like having 2 15's in each door just for the WOW factor :cool:

d77543020
12-18-2012, 10:17 AM
i remember in a audio sound a security mag seeing a guy put 15s in the kicks crazy

I Like Waffle
12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Always nice to have loud and clear mids and highs though, component set in each door in my new build, 2 6.5s and 2 tweets on 125w per door

whitemax
12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
If it was me, I would use the money being spent on the double mids & use it towards a better component set. I also would not put double speakers in the back.

ace_800
12-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't run more than a 3 way in the doors. If you just get a good set of comps then you wouldn't have to worry about adding more. My Hertz get plenty loud off the 250rms I'm feeding them. I had to turn the gain way down due to just how loud they were.

DDtC
12-18-2012, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't run more than a 3 way in the doors. If you just get a good set of comps then you wouldn't have to worry about adding more. My Hertz get plenty loud off the 250rms I'm feeding them. I had to turn the gain way down due to just how loud they were.

I love my HSKs. Just as loud as PAs and sound SOOO much better. Its true you get what you pay for

wickedwitt
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
I love my HSKs. Just as loud as PAs and sound SOOO much better. Its true you get what you pay for

I know there was a fairly in-depth discussion in another thread, but I would like to reiterate that majority of the time conventional hi-fi car audio speakers are going to sound tremendously better than PA.

DDtC
12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I know there was a fairly in-depth discussion in another thread, but I would like to reiterate that majority of the time conventional hi-fi car audio speakers are going to sound tremendously better than PA.

Oh I know but its hard to find car audio speakers that can get as loud.

wickedwitt
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Oh I know but its hard to find car audio speakers that can get as loud.

I'm running $60/pair RF Punch Coax 6.5s on 75w each. I had to back the stupid things down because they were hurting. They keep up w/ a 155 sub stage just fine.

My S-10 build is going to be T3 Components on 220w each. Should have no problems getting loud.

cablguy184
12-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Depends upon your goals. I kinda like having 2 15's in each door just for the WOW factor :cool:
What ??

i remember in a audio sound a security mag seeing a guy put 15s in the kicks crazy
I've seen 12s in the kick pannels in Extreme SQ machines ... but never 15s

I would suggest bumping up to a 8" midbass driver in each door before I'd go with 2 6.5" drivers ...
just saying ...

mlstrass
12-19-2012, 05:56 AM
What ??

I've seen 12s in the kick pannels in Extreme SQ machines ... but never 15s

I would suggest bumping up to a 8" midbass driver in each door before I'd go with 2 6.5" drivers ...
just saying ...

I have 2 15's in each door, but it has nothing to do with an SQ build...

mlstrass
12-19-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm running $60/pair RF Punch Coax 6.5s on 75w each. I had to back the stupid things down because they were hurting. They keep up w/ a 155 sub stage just fine.

My S-10 build is going to be T3 Components on 220w each. Should have no problems getting loud.

Serious question: are you burping a 55 at 60Hz or doing a 55 playing music in the 30-50Hz range?

I really don't see a cheapo set of coax's keeping up with 55's on music when doing demos, but if you're happy with how it sounds that's all that matters....

wickedwitt
12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Serious question: are you burping a 55 at 60Hz or doing a 55 playing music in the 30-50Hz range?

I really don't see a cheapo set of coax's keeping up with 55's on music when doing demos, but if you're happy with how it sounds that's all that matters....
Serious answer, I don't know yet. Havent' had the time to actually test the stupid thing. My substage is louder to the ear (I know this means nothing as far as numbers), than the local shop van that does 156 sealed on the dash at 44. Van plays 154s on music all day long. I'm pressurizing more in the truck. I hope to have the time to do some metering on Fri. I'm tuned at 36 and peak 38-40 btw.

Mids have no issue keeping up, however.

mlstrass
12-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Serious answer, I don't know yet. Havent' had the time to actually test the stupid thing. My substage is louder to the ear (I know this means nothing as far as numbers), than the local shop van that does 156 sealed on the dash at 44. Van plays 154s on music all day long. I'm pressurizing more in the truck. I hope to have the time to do some metering on Fri. I'm tuned at 36 and peak 38-40 btw.

Mids have no issue keeping up, however.

Lower sounds louder to the ear, so that "might" be why yours sounds louder. Or maybe it is louder.

I guess my 32 mids/highs would be overkill to you then :crazy: I do play music in the upper 50's and obviously it has no problem keeping up...

wickedwitt
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Lower sounds louder to the ear, so that "might" be why yours sounds louder. Or maybe it is louder.

I guess my 32 mids/highs would be overkill to you then :crazy: I do play music in the upper 50's and obviously it has no problem keeping up...

Yes, I can barely stand my mids as it is before the bass pressurizes the cabin.