PDA

View Full Version : door panel fiberglassing

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 01:53 AM
here on my door panel above the rear tweeter you can see that the wood comes really close to the door handle, what will I do right there when it comes to fiberglassing? Should I not staple there and try to just use adhesive? will that work?
Thanks

CHEMMINS
12-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Personally, I'd spread your mids out a bit and drop the tweets lower. Make for a cleaner look, and easier to glass. You'd have hills instead of mountains on your doors.

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Personally, I'd spread your mids out a bit and drop the tweets lower. Make for a cleaner look, and easier to glass. You'd have hills instead of mountains on your doors.

well the seat is right there, thats the thing about spreading them out more

gckless
12-17-2012, 02:39 AM
You might be able to staple right underneath the handle, and then kinda let it sag right there or put something there so it kinda makes a cup where your hand has room to grab the handle.

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 02:43 AM
You might be able to staple right underneath the handle, and then kinda let it sag right there or put something there so it kinda makes a cup where your hand has room to grab the handle.

well, the problem is right in front of the handle, like it dips below the handle( the part with the lock and window switch and the problem part)

gckless
12-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Oh, so it's not letting the pod sit flush? Fuckin cut that *****! A dremel is my favorite tool.

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Oh, so it's not letting the pod sit flush? Fuckin cut that *****! A dremel is my favorite tool.

it sits flush, the problem is the space between the top of the speaker rings and the door handle is so small that to staple the fleece there and fiberglass there will be extremely difficult if not impossible, so I just need to know how to get around this problem

CHEMMINS
12-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Make your own panel from scratch and put the electronics where ya want them. Cover the whole thing. Make your own armrest.

gckless
12-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Oh, got it now. Well just don't fiberglass that part. Just fiberglass the top of the pod in that small portion. It's only about a 3" section that you won't have much adhesive to the door. Not a big issue. Just work some glass in there so you don't have a gap to the door. Maybe I explained that weird. It makes sense in my head. :crap:

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Make your own panel from scratch and put the electronics where ya want them. Cover the whole thing. Make your own armrest.

without doing that?

CHEMMINS
12-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Without it looking like poo?.......not gonna happen.

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Without it looking like poo?.......not gonna happen.
would I be able to cut part of the armreast and fiberglass into that?

mlstrass
12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Are you going directly to the door vs doing a pod with a base mold? Seems like doing a base mold and making your pod off of that would work better...

mklett33
12-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I would move that one tweeter further forward, avoid steep transitions as much as possible you will l thank yourself later.

knotdrummer88
12-17-2012, 05:41 PM
I would move that one tweeter further forward, avoid steep transitions as much as possible you will l thank yourself later.

well the fiberglass I dont think is gonna go straight to the wood right there in that dip, I was thinking as much when I first made it, but I think its just gonna be a straight shot between the tops of the two tweeters. is that the part that your referring to?

mklett33
12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it was.

knotdrummer88
12-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Yeah, it was.

how can I secure the fleece to the hard plastic? the black part on the panel

mlstrass
12-19-2012, 07:15 AM
how can I secure the fleece to the hard plastic? the black part on the panel

Why would you be glassing to the door handle?

You could have had pods done already and installed....

knotdrummer88
12-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Why would you be glassing to the door handle?

You could have had pods done already and installed....

I just want something more permanent, I dont really like the way pods look. I mean, if that was really the only way I could do it, I would. But, otherwise Id rather not make pods

mlstrass
12-20-2012, 04:17 AM
I just want something more permanent, I dont really like the way pods look. I mean, if that was really the only way I could do it, I would. But, otherwise Id rather not make pods

Attach pods with lock nuts/bolts. If you have large gaps fill them with chop mat and blend them to the door panels. Wrap entire panel with fabric of your choice and it will be seamless and probably much easier then what you're trying to do.

I would NOT be glassing anything to a door handle that people will be pulling on. FG does NOT stick to plastic and it will crack in a hurry from the handle flexing....

knotdrummer88
12-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Attach pods with lock nuts/bolts. If you have large gaps fill them with chop mat and blend them to the door panels. Wrap entire panel with fabric of your choice and it will be seamless and probably much easier then what you're trying to do.

I would NOT be glassing anything to a door handle that people will be pulling on. FG does NOT stick to plastic and it will crack in a hurry from the handle flexing....

hm..that seams like a good idea, however one of my door is already hacked up:uhoh:

Kingstroker
12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
get rid of a mid and tweet. Is there any benefit from having 10 speakers up from rather than 6?

mlstrass
12-21-2012, 03:01 AM
get rid of a mid and tweet. Is there any benefit from having 10 speakers up from rather than 6?

I have 32 up front, and yes there is a benefit, you go deaf faster :wow:

knotdrummer88
12-21-2012, 03:05 AM
I have 32 up front, and yes there is a benefit, you go deaf faster :wow:

I decided to go with pods:)

mlstrass
12-21-2012, 03:06 AM
I decided to go with pods:)

Sweet...