PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard CDT's new "StageFront" series?

Frraksurred
04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Been reading about them, just curious if anyone has had the chance to try them out.

zephyr
04-13-2004, 02:04 AM
There's some pretty good review in sounddomain forum not long ago. I think you can read the same review by kepone at cdt website.

adam71
04-13-2004, 06:57 AM
I myself was wondering if those would make a difference for me since I have a pillar location for tweeters. I closed them up when I switched to kick panels but image enhancing tweeters may make a difference in that location. hmmmmm

Adam

zephyr
04-14-2004, 03:54 AM
there's no reason to add something that you don't even need. if you don't have stage height problem then why bother. remember the KISS rule?

Pete
04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
I look at them as a band aid to help fix a low sound stage problem when re-aiming the main component speakers is not an option, i.e. using factory speaker locations. I think if you take the time and effort to aim your main speakers you can achieve a nice high soundstage without them.

adam71
04-15-2004, 02:30 AM
I look at them as a band aid to help fix a low sound stage problem when re-aiming the main component speakers is not an option, i.e. using factory speaker locations. I think if you take the time and effort to aim your main speakers you can achieve a nice high soundstage without them.

I disagree, I think they could add alot of depth to a soundstage that already sounds good. As long as they were installed by someone who knows what they are doing they could prove very useful.

Adam

Pete
04-15-2004, 09:20 AM
I'll conceed to adam as I have no first hand experience with image enhancement tweeters... that was just my guess at them.

adam71
04-16-2004, 03:34 AM
I'll conceed to adam as I have no first hand experience with image enhancement tweeters... that was just my guess at them.

Now, now.....I'm not that far fetched am I.?? I'm not saying I know more than you but I believe they could be a nice addition.

The guy that gave the review already owned the Eurosport components and loved how they sounded and when he added the enhancement tweets it sounded even better to him. He said the stage got deeper and more transparent.

I, myself wouldn't mind giving them try if I had a way of defeating them when I didn't want them on. Like use them as I am already using the ESP-2. I can turn that on and off with a push of a button.

Adam
:thumbsupw

Bavarian3
04-16-2004, 03:58 AM
link........

Pete
04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Are the image enhancement tweeters special tweeters at all?

I ask because the CDT crossovers I am running have a port for the image enhance tweeters built into them.... so, since I have a nice pair of Focal comps sitting in the closet, could I just use those tweeters and run them through the CDT crossovers I have?

Is the dispursement and diffusion of the CDT IE tweeters different than normal so the sound stage follows the windshield?

This might be a fun weekend project :)

adam71
04-16-2004, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE]Are the image enhancement tweeters special tweeters at all?

Thats a good question, I'll have to ask around.

I ask because the CDT crossovers I am running have a port for the image enhance tweeters built into them....

Wow, they actually have that huh? Thats really cool....seems like they would make you have to buy the seperate module to go with those. But then again atleast CDT is showing appreciation for buying their products.

Is the dispursement and diffusion of the CDT IE tweeters different than normal so the sound stage follows the windshield?

If they are just a normal tweeter then I don't see any reason why your focal tweets shouldn't do the job. Leave a post when you find out something. Even though I would have to buy the IE package since I don't run CDT comps. but let us know regardless.

Adam

zephyr
04-17-2004, 02:31 AM
cdt may claim that their iek tweets are supertweeters, but it is simply a pair of tweets and a stereo lpad. you can use just about any tweeter with good top end extension and get a similar result. you can buy lpad if needed, partsexpress have them.

adam71
04-17-2004, 04:29 AM
cdt may claim that their iek tweets are supertweeters, but it is simply a pair of tweets and a stereo lpad. you can use just about any tweeter with good top end extension and get a similar result. you can buy lpad if needed, partsexpress have them.

What is an lpad ???

zephyr
04-17-2004, 04:36 AM
the little (actually it is pretty huge :p) knob that comes with the iek set. it works as an adjustable attenuator.

Pete
04-17-2004, 09:34 AM
hmm.... I forgot about the lpad..... thats the other thing I don't have.

birsling
04-17-2004, 11:52 AM
I have them guys, so I can finish this discussion. I agree with a lot of the above comments. They are standard 3/4" or 1" silk tweeters with an lpad. I think they make a difference though. THey definitely attentuate the highs in my car, and help the soundfield seperation. I created a great "main" tweeter mounting location, and my soundfield still sounds better with the stagefront kit. Check my gallery for pics of both. You can pick it up cheap right now, so why not? By the way, I also love their HD sub series for anybody that hasn't heard them. I run 1 - 10", and a lot of people think I have a pair of 12's. Pretty nice!~

zephyr
04-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Just want to clarify things. Stagefront kit and image enhancement kit are two different set. the new stagefront kit has a set of tweets and blending modules while the iek only has a set of tweets and an lpad. I think it got a little mixed up somewhere in this thread.

adam71
04-17-2004, 06:56 PM
the little (actually it is pretty huge :p) knob that comes with the iek set. it works as an adjustable attenuator.

Oh ok, I remember what that looks like now. Thanx

adam

adam71
04-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Just want to clarify things. Stagefront kit and image enhancement kit are two different set. the new stagefront kit has a set of tweets and blending modules while the iek only has a set of tweets and an lpad. I think it got a little mixed up somewhere in this thread.

So what is the difference between the 2?? I mean, what are the main benefits of each.

Adam

cdj
04-17-2004, 07:01 PM
The link that capone28 asked for:

http://www.cdtaudio.com/stagefront_upstage_systems.htm

zephyr
04-17-2004, 11:05 PM
From what I know is that the stagefront has more tuning flexibility. It has a separate filter and level matching from the main tweets. It also allows you to set the level of each channel (L and R) differently. The blending module controls both the mid and tweets for several different type of setup (mid mounting location, driver size, etc).

The iek is simply connected parallel to the main tweets. That means 2 drivers playing the same frequencies which can lead to cancellation. Also, 4800Hz crossover point is too low for a-pillar tweets.

This is all based on my understanding, if you need more accurate info call/email CDT. Their customer service is really fast in answering questions :thumbsup.