PDA

View Full Version : i got my box plans and i'm off to Home Depot

yayopwr
04-12-2004, 09:56 PM
yup i got my box plans and i'm gonna hit up home depot tonight and get the MDF but what else do i need? what kind of screws and what kind of chaulk i know i need wood glue....some one help a little amateur out...

kingpin_jeffie
04-12-2004, 10:29 PM
a whole bunch of at least 1.5" #8 screws, I prefer the black drywall variety. also a tube or two of nice silicon caulking.

yayopwr
04-12-2004, 10:32 PM
ok ok so...
1. wood glue
2. screws
3. 3/4" MDF
4. Silicon
5.......?

am i supposed to pre drill the holes for the screws??

nosaj070
04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes you must predrill the holes, and make sure the screws aren't too big, it will cause the wood to split, especially if hte predrilled holes aren't quite big enough. Countersinking them is also the way you should do it, but the countersink bit is quite expensive.

smokeoff
04-12-2004, 10:35 PM
ya MDF splits easy. predrill.

yayopwr
04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
whats countersinking??....i'm sorry i have only built one box before and i think it was out of plywood.... :banghead: plus i didn't even build it all myself so my carpentry skills are very limited

nosaj070
04-12-2004, 10:47 PM
whats countersinking??....i'm sorry i have only built one box before and i think it was out of plywood.... :banghead: plus i didn't even build it all myself so my carpentry skills are very limited

It drills a hole the size of the head of the screw, so the screw sits below flush with the box so it doesn't stick out, it really only serves cosmetic purposes, if you carpet it, it wiillusually not show though.

nweibley
04-12-2004, 10:53 PM
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
Everything you ever wanted to know about box building.

yayopwr
04-12-2004, 10:55 PM
thanks guys for all the help...i'm gonna go in a little while and thanks for that link i saw it once before but i couldn't find it

yayopwr
04-13-2004, 02:49 AM
i love home depot :patriotic anyone know any sites to order wires and **** off of??

Bavarian3
04-13-2004, 02:53 AM
ebay. partsexpress.

iamamp3pimp
04-13-2004, 04:19 AM
bladeice.com

knukonceptz.com or something like that

dbhittin
04-13-2004, 01:16 PM
walmart.....

Trixter
04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I use 1/8" drill and 1 5/8" #8 drywall screws. If you use a drill for the screwing, the screws will counter sink themselves.

BIG_SUPERMAN72
04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Two words, Nail Gun.

sumone
04-13-2004, 10:34 PM
ok...since someone answered on what countersink means...I've been trying to find out for the longest if predrilling means:

1) drilling the screw in halfway, taking it out, then drilling it in fully
2) drilling a small hole first, then drilling the screw inside that hole, just so the tip (the sharp part) of the screw has a base so it won't slip
3) something else....

Trixter
04-13-2004, 10:40 PM
ok...since someone answered on what countersink means...I've been trying to find out for the longest if predrilling means:

1) drilling the screw in halfway, taking it out, then drilling it in fully
2) drilling a small hole first, then drilling the screw inside that hole, just so the tip (the sharp part) of the screw has a base so it won't slip
3) something else....

I drill a hole that probably ends up being longer than the screw. You want a hole for the screw to screw.

yayopwr
04-14-2004, 01:40 AM
i just don't want to crack the mdf cause home depot isn't exactly around the corner...the screws i got are Coarse Thread Drywall Screws 6 x 1-5/8" what size bit should i use so i don't mess up cause i think the guys at the cutting station in home depot don't want to see me again either.... :D

morris85
04-14-2004, 01:58 AM
i just don't want to crack the mdf cause home depot isn't exactly around the corner...the screws i got are Coarse Thread Drywall Screws 6 x 1-5/8" what size bit should i use so i don't mess up cause i think the guys at the cutting station in home depot don't want to see me again either.... :D

Hold bits up to one of your screws till the only thing wider about the screw, are its threads.

nweibley
04-14-2004, 02:03 AM
Predrilling means you clear out a hole the diameter of the shaft of the screw, minus the threads. That way, you are not pushing any MDF out of the way with the tip, just giving the threads something to grab on to.

You want the bit to be the size of the red part... but NOT bigger than the threads

Omarvelous
04-14-2004, 02:46 AM
Even with predrilling, it's still possible to get splits, the MDF is just that delicate.

And to countersink, i use a big bit, that's all.

I have a predrilling bit that came with the bit set i bought, BUT it's realy shtty n dull.

H1PH0P
04-14-2004, 03:05 PM

HAHA I know how you feel
They aren't the most friendly people in the world(The guy that cut mine)

boister77
04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
i would recommend the counter sink drill bit. i found for $5 at my local hardware store. it is possible to get by without using it, but i find it a lot faster and easier since you only have to drill once per screw instead of twice (pre-drill then countersink with a larger bit). if you plan to build more enclosures in the future, it think you should definitely get it.

yayopwr
04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
hell yea i just finished it...its not too bad i'm actually really proud of myself...on the inside where i screwed the port in i cracked the mdf so i just put a **** load of silicon around it to be on the safe side....is this gonna be ok?? also the slot for the port is like a 1/4" off on the top but on the bottom it's fine am i gonna hear and difference in sound? its 2.5 cubes tuned to 32

Trixter
04-16-2004, 09:19 PM
...on the inside where i screwed the port in i cracked the mdf so i just put a **** load of silicon around it to be on the safe side....is this gonna be ok??

Should be just fine.

also the slot for the port is like a 1/4" off on the top but on the bottom it's fine am i gonna hear and difference in sound? its 2.5 cubes tuned to 32

Probably not.

LoneRanger
04-17-2004, 01:30 AM
I use 1/8" drill and 1 5/8" #8 drywall screws. If you use a drill for the screwing, the screws will counter sink themselves.

no they don't. they bite down into the wood and tear the **** out of it. for the love of god, countersink any screws that will be placed in your enclosure and don't go trying to king-kong them in. this can/will result in some nasty wood splitting. You're not putting these screws in for structural integrity. They're just there to hold the wood together until the glue dries. If you build the box correctly, you can remove all screws from the box and it will be just as solid without them.

JUST EASE THE SCREWS IN. DO NOT FORCE THEM. IF YOU FEEL THAT ITS TAKING A LITTLE EXTRA EFFORT ON THE DRILL'S PART TO GET THE SCREWS DOWN IN THERE, STOP AND REDRILL THE PILOT HOLE.

sumone
04-17-2004, 02:03 AM
are high-pitched squeals a bad sign when drilling? I got those sounds when I finally drilled some 1" screws into the 3/4" box. I predrilled but the hole I predrilled was much narrower than the screw's stem. But don't see any noticeable (outside) damage and the sub has been pounding pretty hard today (my first day!). I thought something was wrong when I heard some midrange coming from the sub cause that adhesive stuff with the cushion on the top that you put between the box and the sub, I messed it all up and there was a small arc where there wasn't any cushion between the sub and the box, so I just used some electrical tape to seal it - but then I realize I had set the low pass frequency, but the button was on high pass. (run-on sentence...yea I know)

Trixter
04-17-2004, 10:28 PM
no they don't. they bite down into the wood and tear the **** out of it. for the love of god, countersink any screws that will be placed in your enclosure and don't go trying to king-kong them in. this can/will result in some nasty wood splitting. You're not putting these screws in for structural integrity. They're just there to hold the wood together until the glue dries. If you build the box correctly, you can remove all screws from the box and it will be just as solid without them.

JUST EASE THE SCREWS IN. DO NOT FORCE THEM. IF YOU FEEL THAT ITS TAKING A LITTLE EXTRA EFFORT ON THE DRILL'S PART TO GET THE SCREWS DOWN IN THERE, STOP AND REDRILL THE PILOT HOLE.

I just do it enough to get the head flush with the wood. No splitting.

Jmac2043
04-22-2004, 01:09 AM
would anyone else reccomend using a nail gun?

MrKickalot
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
would anyone else reccomend using a nail gun?

I have used liquid nail and screws!! It worked really well!! The liquid nail seals and glues(jsut don't ever plan to take it apart again!). Just make sure you use a nice 1/8-1/4 inch bead on all touching surfaces!