PDA

View Full Version : Midbass that can get low? PWX6.5's?

momofx
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I am looking for some midbass drivers that can get low (down to about 60Hz) but at the same time have good midrange response for vocals etc.(*on a budget btw). Oh and my amp is a MB Quart Onyx4.80 - 80w rms x4 that I am using for midbass / mid.

I came across some Crescendo PWX6.5 and was wondering if you guys who have experience with these, think they will work out for me? (I really like the pricing on them).

Btw, I CAN go to 8" if needed although my doors are current cut out for 6.5's.

I came across these Boss Audio 8" midbass that go down to 35hz apparently - what about these :

http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/pp8-4/

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Good midbass is more about the install than the driver. Just make sure your doors are properly deadened and sealed off and you shouldn't have a problem. Those Crescendos will perform well as long as you give them a proper home.

momofx
12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh yessss I forgot to mention the doors are have spray deadener inside them and sealed off with fatmat, etc...

I am kinda deciding between the pwx6.5 or the Boss Audio 8" midbass...

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH BOSS AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No Boss. Bad. Crescendo Good.

trumpet
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
You'll get even better midbass response if the sound coming off the back of the cone is blocked from interacting with the sound off the front of the cone. Sealing and deadening are good steps to take but FatMat and other vibration dampers aren't good at blocking sound. This is why I use CCF and MLV behind the interior door skin. Also, there is little need to ask your little door speakers to play down to 60 Hz. I've done it and yes, I realize many many people like super low HPF settings on their midbasses. Try your subwoofer/midbass crossovers at 80 Hz on 24 dB slopes if possible.

Julian
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I would not be looking at pro audio drivers for midbass.

Sonic.
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
If you choose an 8'', here is a good one JL Audio ZR800-CW (ZR800CW) 8" Single 4 ohm Evolution ZR Midwoofer (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15355_JL-Audio-ZR800-CW.html)

TheUnderFighter
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I have the older style Crescendo mids and they get decently low, and take a good bit of power. I've heard the new PWX are only better. Also, just as BOSS makes up everything else about their speakers and subs and amps and decks, I wouldn't believe their playable frequency range either.

momofx
12-12-2012, 06:28 PM
You'll get even better midbass response if the sound coming off the back of the cone is blocked from interacting with the sound off the front of the cone. Sealing and deadening are good steps to take but FatMat and other vibration dampers aren't good at blocking sound. This is why I use CCF and MLV behind the interior door skin. Also, there is little need to ask your little door speakers to play down to 60 Hz. I've done it and yes, I realize many many people like super low HPF settings on their midbasses. Try your subwoofer/midbass crossovers at 80 Hz on 24 dB slopes if possible.

Ahh yes I just got a 3 way crossover and it has a -6 and -18db slope for the highs, mids and sub channels. OH BTW, I forgot to mention I am running 3 way active with this setup :). Yeah I think I might be asking for too much from the doors lol - 80hz DOES sound about right for nice mid (tight) bass.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH BOSS AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No Boss. Bad. Crescendo Good.

LOL ok boss :p: . I dunno what I was thinking - maybe cos it was big and cheap haha.

I have the older style Crescendo mids and they get decently low, and take a good bit of power. I've heard the new PWX are only better. Also, just as BOSS makes up everything else about their speakers and subs and amps and decks, I wouldn't believe their playable frequency range either.

Yeah I have read nothing but good things about all the PWX sizes and no I am not gettin the Boss stuff lol. Think I'm gonna go with the PWX 6.5's ...

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Just busting your balls, bud. But yeah, those Boss are worthless. Might as well keep factory if that's what you were going to do.

gckless
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM

This. Do a proper install and you shouldn't have a problem getting where you want.

momofx
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok so the PWX6.5 should be ok with around 80 to 70hz at a -18db crossover slope right?

Shinju
12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Hybrid Audio HAT Imagine 6.5 set, I have mine crossed off at 45hz-120hz, they dig deep and sound great doing off 200rms per 6.5.

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Hybrid Audio HAT Imagine 6.5 set, I have mine crossed off at 45hz-120hz, they dig deep and sound great doing off 200rms per 6.5.

Only problem with that is I'm not sure he's looking for a 300 dollar set of comps. Those Imagines are sweet and can take some hefty power, but they're kinda 'spensive.

Shinju
12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Only problem with that is I'm not sure he's looking for a 300 dollar set of comps. Those Imagines are sweet and can take some hefty power, but they're kinda 'spensive.

The 300.00 ones you see are Verson 2.0 with upgrades to the original platform. You can still find the version 1.0 like I have for around 200.00 or so new and cheaper used. The V2's are on par with the original clarius driver build I believe.

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 06:54 PM
The 300.00 ones you see are Verson 2.0 with upgrades to the original platform. You can still find the version 1.0 like I have for around 200.00 or so new and cheaper used. The V2's are on par with the original clarius driver build I believe.

You don't say...hmm would have been a good contender. OP, those are another good choice. You have the benefit of not needing to find a place to house a crossover since the circutry on the Imagines are so simple.

momofx
12-21-2012, 04:37 AM
I went with the PWX6.5's :)

Sub Woofin
12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
I went with the PWX6.5's :)

good choice!

sjv13
12-21-2012, 09:52 PM
This is why I use CCF and MLV behind the interior door skin.

what is CCF and MLV?

Kangaroux
12-21-2012, 09:56 PM
The Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/)

Kangaroux
12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
what is CCF and MLV?

CCF = Closed Cell Foam, MLV = Mass Loaded Vinyl. When used together it creates a very good sound barrier. What this means in terms of deadening your doors is that the sound from inside the door stays inside, and the sound from the outside of the door stays outside. So basically you have less cancellation. Less cancellation means more midbass.

sjv13
12-21-2012, 09:58 PM
CCF = Closed Cell Foam, MLV = Mass Loaded Vinyl. When used together it creates a very good sound barrier. What this means in terms of deadening your doors is that the sound from inside the door stays inside, and the sound from the outside of the door stays outside. So basically you have less cancellation. Less cancellation means more midbass.

cool thanks. Where exactly would I put these materials?

J31Rob
12-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Good midbass is more about the install than the driver. Just make sure your doors are properly deadened and sealed off and you shouldn't have a problem. Those Crescendos will perform well as long as you give them a proper home.

This pretty much sums it up.

Kangaroux
12-21-2012, 10:04 PM
cool thanks. Where exactly would I put these materials?

SDS is a great place to get that stuff. Feel free to read up on the articles Don has posted on the site; they are very informative.

Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/)

momofx
12-21-2012, 11:33 PM
The Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/)

Man those dont look too bad although I admit I never used or heard of a wool cone lol - do you have these? How do you like them if so?

Flastrongman
12-22-2012, 12:17 AM
mpyre/thread

mlstrass
12-22-2012, 05:55 AM
mpyre/thread

Are those still around? Put 2 per side in a Caravan a few years ago. PITA to flushmount with the squared off sides, but nice mids for sure.