PDA

View Full Version : Polk MM6501 vs ID CTX65CS

rafi
12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello guys!

i am redoing my whole setup, starting with the front.. I stupidly purchased a pair of kappa 6.5 60.9cs and the tweeters are insanely bright, even with the -6db on, this thing is killing my ears.
I dont want to do the same mistake again so I am looking towards silk tweeters if i understood well reading the forum.

My choice would be between the Polk MM6501 and the ID CTX65CS.

I am sure those speakers are great quality but id really like to buy the smoothest tweeter :)

I have a Alpine f450 amp with an alpine x100 (so no eq at all :( ) and a sub, so i dont care about bass.

And also i have a civic 99, will those fit ? (i already cut all the plastic to fit the awful kappa)

Thank you for your help! I am going crazy trying to look for the right one!

rafi
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Bump! I am gonna go for the ID, but now I am wondering if they are gonna fit or not ? I read mixed things on forums.. Thanks!

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
If you're worried about fit, just take a measuring tape to your door. If you can squeeze in a MDF baffle, you can give yourself another 3/4" of clearance.

Why So Cereal?
12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Of you're looking for the smoothest tweeter in that price range, u should be looking at JL C2s. Iirc they're not as deep as CTXs either

rafi
12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
ahah you want to make my choice even more difficult :)

Why So Cereal?
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
ahah you want to make my choice even more difficult :)

I've auditioned each of these sets. Owned the CTXs and C2s. Personally I prefer the brighter CTX tweeters but the issue, reportedly, comes in at high volume when they get harsh due to the Low tweeter crossover point which makes sense.

The C2s are the exact opposite. They made me wonder if the tweeters were even on at about low to mid volumes but had just the right amount of presence at high volumes. But, JL comps are very listener specific. Because when I say they are laidback I mean really laidback.

JBL has a new MS set that is supposedly best of both worlds but I can't speak from experience on those.

rafi
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I've auditioned each of these sets. Owned the CTXs and C2s. Personally I prefer the brighter CTX tweeters but the issue, reportedly, comes in at high volume when they get harsh due to the Low tweeter crossover point.

The C2s are the exact opposite. They made me wonder if the tweeters were even on at about low to mid volumes but had just the right amount of presence at high volumes. But, JL comps are very listener specific. Because when I say they are laidback I mean really laidback.

I like laidback :) the kappas, what a mistake

What about the polk ? did you have a chance to listen to them ?

C2s, you are talking about these one, right ? Amazon.com: Jl Audio C2-650 Component System 6.5" 2-way: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-650-Component-System-2-way/dp/B0036D1DQI)

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Polk have been known to be sibilant if they're not properly powered. If you really want laid back, you should be sticking to silk domes. I have the JBL MS62c comps. They're pretty laid back so long as the tweets aren't on axis. Great midbass from the woofers IMO.

rafi
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Polk have been known to be sibilant if they're not properly powered. If you really want laid back, you should be sticking to silk domes. I have the JBL MS62c comps. They're pretty laid back so long as the tweets aren't on axis. Great midbass from the woofers IMO.

But the polk are silk and the JBL titanium. You got me totally confused now :)
Alpine F450 should be enough power for all of them i believe

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 01:57 PM
JBL just got it right with the titanium domes. Usually they are pretty dang harsh, but these just work well. Maybe it has to do with the inverted dome, I don't know. They just...work?

Why So Cereal?
12-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I like laidback :) the kappas, what a mistake

What about the polk ? did you have a chance to listen to them ?

C2s, you are talking about these one, right ? Amazon.com: Jl Audio C2-650 Component System 6.5" 2-way: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-650-Component-System-2-way/dp/B0036D1DQI)
Polks have lots of top end presence and yes have been reported as sibilant numerous times and I can believe it based on my small experience with their comps and home towers.

But the polk are silk and the JBL titanium. You got me totally confused now :)
Alpine F450 should be enough power for all of them i believe
Tweeter material won't matter as much as crossover points, slopes, aiming, placement, etc

In other words, the install can easily make a tweeter harsh

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Another option would be Sundown's new comps. Already saw a pretty favorable review on here, but don't expect them to be a display piece. It's all about serious business.

sundownz ;

rafi
12-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Just ordered the JBL :) Thanks guys

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
You won't be disappointed. There's a HUGE thread over on DIYMA about them if you're interested.

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
If you can't get those to fit in your doors, there's something wrong, too. I did not expect them to be so shallow until I had them in hand.

Why So Cereal?
12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
You won't be disappointed. There's a HUGE thread over on DIYMA about them if you're interested.

Yep. Review them for us

neo_styles
12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Install is this weekend. Only testing so far has been free air, but I'll be sure to review them once properly in place. Tweeters will be getting moved around for quite some time until I can find a sweet spot.

Steveopevo
12-13-2012, 01:05 AM
polk mm tweeters are more laid back than the ID's. JBL tweeters are sharper than the Polk mm's. Polks may still be better suited for your ears because those highly accurate tweets will be similar to the kappas.