PDA

View Full Version : 12" XXX BMW Box [finally pics]

nweibley
04-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Here is the work in progress 12" XXX box that never seems to get done!
It has some carpet on it now, the plexi is looking nice, and we're trying to spot paint everything. I'm going to have to re-sand the inside and repaint it, but considering me and a friend buildt it with almost nil router experience, I think it looks pretty good.

All of the routing was freehand with a transfer paper image on the box using a blown up photo chopped XXX logo by my friend Christina. :) She did a pretty **** good job for freehand, eh?

http://images.e-techcorp.net/boxes/xxx_box.jpg

http://images.e-techcorp.net/boxes/xxx_box3.jpg

fv04as
04-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Nice work man.....how many cu. ft. and whats it tuned to?

nweibley
04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Tuned to cerca 30-32Hz and its 3.278 cubic feet (it has a sloped back at about 19.8 degrees I think, if I remember right.

It still has plenty of touching up to go though.

monte_carlo97
04-12-2004, 06:23 PM
That is a job well done. :handclap: what did you do stick a neon in there or just got blue plexi.

monte_carlo97
04-12-2004, 06:24 PM
:banghead: My bad i see the neon now.

ss3079
04-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Looks good ... very nice work so far.

- Steve

EarDrummin.
04-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Creativity at work, I really like it. Good to see something original, and well thought out! Very nice, you made my day bro. ;)

BIG_SUPERMAN72
04-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Its ****ing sweet. Almost can get you LAID.

kingpin_jeffie
04-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Its ****ing sweet. Almost can get you LAID.

perhaps if he lived in Hawaii, but then it would only be a cheap flower necklace.

it is ****ing sweet though.

nweibley
04-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey, the box is for a girl, but she won't be "laying" me so get over it you sickos! She is my demo car, and she is doin a **** good job at it too!

Anywho thanks all, I was trying to come up with something that would look cool but wouldn't be over the top and would still look "flat" or otherwise keep the trunk rugged enough to have bags tossed in, etc. She came up with the final XXX idea, but we knew we wanted plexi in there. It has been working well so far, I just need to get the thing prettyful and installed and looking OEM in the BMW. I wish BMW trunks were a little bit bigger though, I'm sure David from RE knows its hard as hell to fit a suitable sealed box in there much less ported, especially without fold-down backseats! Gotta hide wires too.

Omarvelous
04-14-2004, 02:51 AM
I love it!

Yo the New box i made that was 16.5" Tall, fits PERFECT!!!! Will have pic for you tomorrow.

I also wanted to cutout the XXX Logo, but not cut into the wood. Wanted to cut out the pieces n put on top of box, didn't have time at the time though. But REAL Sweet

WE'll talk on AIM

DBfan187
04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
That box is sick! I love it!

Bavarian3
04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey, the box is for a girl, but she won't be "laying" me so get over it you sickos! She is my demo car, and she is doin a **** good job at it too!

Anywho thanks all, I was trying to come up with something that would look cool but wouldn't be over the top and would still look "flat" or otherwise keep the trunk rugged enough to have bags tossed in, etc. She came up with the final XXX idea, but we knew we wanted plexi in there. It has been working well so far, I just need to get the thing prettyful and installed and looking OEM in the BMW. I wish BMW trunks were a little bit bigger though, I'm sure David from RE knows its hard as hell to fit a suitable sealed box in there much less ported, especially without fold-down backseats! Gotta hide wires too.
are u putting it in a 3 series? id love to see the box in the trunk. BMW's definetly **** for systems, my sub is totally not as loud as it should be because of the trunk being sealed so tight. it suuucks.

nweibley
04-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes, the box goes in a 328i. Once the Orion 1200D comes in moday and I get that put on the back, I will get some pics with the box in the trunk of the BMW, but I still have some wires to mask, etc.... so it isn't quite polished up yet ;)

ngsm13
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
****! perfection, looks amazing. I need more time and skill to make a box for me that prettyful. peace

NG

BIG_SUPERMAN72
04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
I had a dream about it. Not really but it qualifies to be **** nuff to be in my dreams. XXX sign looks soo smooth.

nweibley
04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
****! perfection, looks amazing. I need more time and skill to make a box for me that prettyful. peace

NG
You would be suprised. This is my 5th or 6th box, and my first with plexi. I guess the motto stands true; "check twice, cut once" but if you put your mind to it and be patient, you can finish it!

The XXX logo is not *quite* perfect yet if you want to be ****. I have considered sanding the imperfections out of it and repaiting, but I like the way Christina's paint mix came out, and I am not sure if I want to screw that up!

I don't know... this really is only a car to get people at school to realize I do know how to make custom boxes that look at least as good as the ones the local audio shops around here make, and that I can do them for a discounted price. Other than that, this box never will really get seen; probably no shows or anything of the sort... it's just nice to know you have a cool *** box in your trunk, eh?

Anywho, woot! And thanks for the compliments, I like the box too :) I hope I get to work on some fiberglass/SUV projects over the summer that will really be eye popping.... but we shall see :D

-----Nate

strong*I*bumpin
04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Sweet @$$ box!

nweibley
04-17-2004, 12:46 AM
I guess I should make the PSD I made symmetrical (cut out the RE logo and sign) public for any further good it may do in you guys' endeavors.

http://www.e-techcorp.net/download.php?file=sym_xxx.psd

420kb of yummy RE goodness. :)

paikiah
04-17-2004, 11:00 PM
how did you tighten between MDF and box? Caulk?

Did you just drill through the plexi? I have a large piece still waiting for me to use, but I'm afraid to drill it.

ss3079
04-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Pfft ...

Don't drill too close to the edge of the piece.
Don't drill the holes too close to eachother.
Don't drill with the largest bit first ... work your way up.
Don't drill too quickly.

Clamping it down and using a drill press works well.

You'll be fine :D

- Steve